20704 Discussions

calculate needed set clock uncertainty from ppm

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, 

So have a 125mhz with ppm of 300, my calcualtions are: 

300ppm is 0.03% of 8 ns -> 2.4ps ~3ps 

so i had put on the SDC: 

set_clock_uncertainty -rise_from [get_clocks {clk125}] -rise_to [get_clocks {clk125}] -setup 0.003 

set_clock_uncertainty -rise_from [get_clocks {clk125}] -fall_to [get_clocks {clk125}] -setup 0.003  

set_clock_uncertainty -fall_from [get_clocks {clk125}] -rise_to [get_clocks {clk125}] -setup 0.003  

set_clock_uncertainty -fall_from [get_clocks {clk125}] -fall_to [get_clocks {clk125}] -setup 0.003  

set_clock_uncertainty -rise_from [get_clocks {clk125}] -rise_to [get_clocks {clk125}] -hold 0.003 

set_clock_uncertainty -rise_from [get_clocks {clk125}] -fall_to [get_clocks {clk125}] -hold 0.003  

set_clock_uncertainty -fall_from [get_clocks {clk125}] -rise_to [get_clocks {clk125}] -hold 0.003  

set_clock_uncertainty -fall_from [get_clocks {clk125}] -fall_to [get_clocks {clk125}] -hold 0.003  

is that looks right? 

or i should double the value?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That looks right to me. You don't need to double your values as this is handled in the separate entries for rise to rise etc. 

However, these are pretty small numbers. I suggest you run the "derive_clock_uncertainty" for your design. This will add similar entries to the constraints file but knowing nothing of the quality of the clock you're using. These values will be based on the uncertainty introduced by the FPGA's buffers/routing etc. I suspect you'll find these number significantly larger than the 3ps you're proposing to add - e.g. I typically see 20ps for Cyclone IV devices. Needless to say (perhaps) you need to use the larger uncertainty figure. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos