Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

cpld and parallel flash

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello im brian :) 

im trying to understand how to connect a cpld "epm3034 or *3064" to a parallel nor flash but pinouts"names" on cpld and flash arent the same ive been searching all over the net for info but no luck any help or direction points will be appreciated thanks :)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Connecting a parallel flash to achieve what? 

The CPLD will do nothing unless you download a logic configuration you designed before. The function of each pin will be defined in your logic, e.g. address signals driving the flash address lines. You can give each pin a symbolic name according to it's function, may be equal to the connected flash pin name.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Im just asking how to physically connect the pld or cpld to the parallel flash im a total nob with a few old routers to mess with i have a few pic 24f i have a few cpld epm3034 and a few epm 3064 too i have a usb-blaster i also have a few other programmers so im a nob in a learning phase learning because im curious and nothing else

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There isn't enough logic in those devices to operate a parallel FLASH device. So, I suggest you don't bother and focus your playing around on something else. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you can read cfi and program with those cpld s im sure :)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you say so

0 Kudos