Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20689 Discussions

cyclone iii epcs, software fail to boot

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, 

The design is cyclone iii 3c55 with EPCS128. There is epcs controller in NIOS design. The sof and elf is ok when i use "run as hardware". But the software did not automatic load when power-up. The steps are most followed in this forum: 

sof2flash --epcs --input=hw.sof --output=hw.flash 

elf2flash --epcs --after=hw.flash --input=sw.elf -output=sw.flash 

# flash EPCS first with FPGA configuration 

nios2-flash-programmer --cable='USB-Blaster [USB-0]' --epcs --base=0x21000 hw.flash# flash EPCS with Nios firmware 

nios2-flash-programmer --cable='USB-Blaster [USB-0]' --epcs --base=0x21000 sw.flash 

I also tried the jic file. the software still cannot load after power-up.  

One thing I noticed, after power-up, when i run "nios2-terminal", I can see the result of software running. To my understand, nios2-terminal did not download the software (am i right?). But if i did not run "nios2-terminal", 

software did not run. 

What is the problem with my steps? or is there anything I need to check based on the thing of "nios2-terminal"? 

I use nios2-10.0 sp1. I suppose there should no epcs patch issue like 9.x. 

Thanks very much,
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have almost the same problem. Does your software start if you do: 

nios2-flash-programmer --epcs --base=0x21000 --go 

after power up? This will poke my software into starting, but I can't get it to start automatically at power up.  

Mark.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The nios2-flash-programmer has a bug in it, 9.1SP2. When you program EPCS with it, it does not work. Create programming file using Altera Stand Alone Programmer, then burn the file into EPCS.

0 Kudos