CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

fpga startup problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Good afternoon, members of the forum. 

I have stratix V. 

I have such a problem. 

I write down the firmware in the epcq through the AS. The process is normal. In the firmware, I activate one of the LEDs on the board 

Starting the card, nothing happens. Then he began to notice that the LED all the same blinks once during the start. In this case, if I change the firmware to another LED, the other LED will blink at the start. That is, the FPGA begins to be configured. And then nothing happens. 

I checked the status pins with the voltmeter. 

CONF_DONE = 0.1V (is low signal?) 

nStatus smoothly changes 0.7V - 1.3V = low signal. 

According to the documentation, this is similar to "Configuration Error Handling". 

True today, I inserted a card in the pci-e, and my LEDs stopped blinking at the start, according to my firmware. 

CONF_DONE = 0.1V (is low signal?) 

nStatus = 0V 

nCe = 0V 

nConfig = 3V 

Сontrol outputs on the board (just in case): 

3.3V = 3.4V 

3V = 3V 

2.5V = 2.5V 

VTT = 0.38V 

VCCINT = 0.9V 

VCCIO = 2.59V 

Would I be happy with any advice, what kind of problem is this? Where to start searching. 

Thank you in advance 

ps.  

Altera Stratix V 5sgxma7k2f40c2n 

board Gidel ProceV
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Are you trying to say, That you have programmed a code to blink single led on the board and you are see different result? 

1.Are you using development board / custom board? 

2. Check the pin assignments. 

or 

2.Write a simple code to control led via. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

Are you trying to say, That you have programmed a code to blink single led on the board and you are see different result? 

2. Check the pin assignments. 

or 

2.Write a simple code to control led via. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for the answer. 

I'm trying to say that, probably, my chip does not start. 

I wrote a simple code that activates the LED. When power is applied, this LED blinks once and nothing happens. 

module main (output signal_1); reg signal_1_r; assign signal_1 = signal_1_r; always begin signal_1_r <= 0; end endmodule  

I checked the status pins, and it seems to me that "configuration error". 

The other day I inserted a card in the pci-e connector and I even have the LED does not light at the start. I do not even know what to think. Yesterday I still checked the CRC_ERROR pin, but there is constantly 2.4 volts and I do not see anything else. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

--- Quote End ---  

development board Gidel proce V 

https://www.altera.com/solutions/partners/partner-profile/gidel--inc-/board/procev-gx--pcie-based-100g--ultra-low-latency-platform.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is another problem, that the given LEDs blink the first time when turning on the power, it is necessary that after the flashing the board does not feed for 2-3 minutes (it can cool down)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I found that the conf_done pin is connected through a 10k resistor not to Vccpgm (3V), but connected through a 10k resistor to a neighboring i/o pin

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I found that the conf_done pin is connected through a 10k resistor not to Vccpgm (3V), but connected through a 10k resistor to a neighboring i/o pin 

--- Quote End ---  

HI, 

Okay, problem solved?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

HI, 

Okay, problem solved? 

--- Quote End ---  

I do not know yet. The chip never starts. 

conf_done = 0.7v = pulled low 

nStatus = 0.7..1.3v =pulled low and then high 

These signals, according to the documentation, mean configuration error (from epcq256 by active serial). 

At the same time, the programmed user LEDs light up and go out at once (they should glow constantly). This means that the FPGA is still being configured. 

I read that this is the error of the crc sum, but I have not yet figured out how to solve it. 

I also worry that when I program in quartus my epcq256 , the first 26% of the process takes a long time (about 3-4 minutes), and then the process goes to 100% very quickly (in 1 second). At the same time he writes that everything went well. 

On another my chip (cyclone IV) the process is smoothly slow all 100%. Maybe this is where the problem lies.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

1.Have you programmed sof file successful? 

2.Is nStatus low form power on state? 

When the nSTATUS is low, the possibility is either due bit-stream corruption or power issue. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

1.Have you programmed sof file successful? 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello, thanks 

Jtag does not start. I can not program sof 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

2.Is nStatus low form power on state? 

When the nSTATUS is low, the possibility is either due bit-stream corruption or power issue. 

--- Quote End ---  

In verilog, i program the user LEDs so that they are always on. When the power is turned on, these LEDs blink 1 time and nStatus smoothly changes its value from 0.7v to 1.3v and back. 

Could you tell me at which points (pins), you can check the power? I have control points 0.9, 2.5, 3, 3.3 on the board, they all show the correct values
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, thanks 

Jtag does not start. I can not program sof 

In verilog, i program the user LEDs so that they are always on. When the power is turned on, these LEDs blink 1 time and nStatus smoothly changes its value from 0.7v to 1.3v and back. 

Could you tell me at which points (pins), you can check the power? I have control points 0.9, 2.5, 3, 3.3 on the board, they all show the correct values 

--- Quote End ---  

If you say the Jtag does not start, then in your earlier message , are you referring to the compilation process?.  

--- Quote Start ---  

I also worry that when I program in quartus my epcq256 , the first 26% of the process takes a long time (about 3-4 minutes), and then the process goes to 100% very quickly (in 1 second). At the same time he writes that everything went well. 

On another my chip (cyclone IV) the process is smoothly slow all 100%. Maybe this is where the problem lies. 

--- Quote End ---  

A few things: 

1. Have you assigned a valid pin to signal_1 ? (which is connected to the User LED - usually given in the user manual along with the development board. This assignment will be made in the QSF file or in a TCL file which you can source). If you do not manually assign a valid pin, it will not work. 

2. Ensure the JTAG connection detects your board, and program it using the correct FPGA sof file.  

If you can give us more details about the process you are following, we can help.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

It is a power issues  

If the POR monitored power supplied (from Table 11-2: Power Supplies Monitored and Not Monitored by the Stratix V POR Circuitry) does not reached and stay the appropriate voltage level, the nSTATUS will be low. You can check each power supply voltage level requirement from the datasheet.  

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

It is a power issues  

If the POR monitored power supplied (from Table 11-2: Power Supplies Monitored and Not Monitored by the Stratix V POR Circuitry) does not reached and stay the appropriate voltage level, the nSTATUS will be low. You can check each power supply voltage level requirement from the datasheet.  

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

--- Quote End ---  

thanks, I will check
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

It is a power issues  

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks again, there is no VCCPT 1.5 volt supply. 

I will look for the cause
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Many thanks to the support for patience and my non-professional questions. I replaced the power supply chip, restored Vccpt = 1.5V and the chip came to life.

0 Kudos