Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

how to generate a reset signal in Altera Cyclone Ⅳ series?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Verilog: 

input reset; reg counting; always@(posedge clk or negedge reset) begin if(!reset) counting <= 11'd0; end 

reset signal is connect to “M1” pin. 

is it counting = 0 when FPGA board power on?
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, but it will not increase and remains zero permanently. 

Try this: 

input reset; reg counting; reg r_reset_n; always@(posedge clk or negedge reset) begin if(!reset) begin counting <= 11'd0; r_reset_n <= 1'b0; end else if (counting <= 11'd1234)// replace 11'd1234 with required reset delay, based on clock frequency, in order to remove glitches. begin counting <= counting + 1'b1; r_reset_n <= 1'b0; end else begin counting <= 11'd2047; r_reset_n <= 1'b1; end end
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello  

when there is a falling edge of reset signal,counting will equal to 0. 

but my question is Could "M1" pin will generate a falling edge when FPGA board power on?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes, but it will not increase and remains zero permanently. 

Try this: 

input reset; reg counting; reg r_reset_n; always@(posedge clk or negedge reset) begin if(!reset) begin counting <= 11'd0; r_reset_n <= 1'b0; end else if (counting <= 11'd1234)// replace 11'd1234 with required reset delay, based on clock frequency, in order to remove glitches. begin counting <= counting + 1'b1; r_reset_n <= 1'b0; end else begin counting <= 11'd2047; r_reset_n <= 1'b1; end end  

--- Quote End ---  

hello  

when there is a falling edge of reset signal,counting will equal to 0. 

but my question is Could "M1" pin will generate a falling edge when FPGA board power on?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

All initial states of variables in Altera FPGA devices after power up are set to 'zero' logic.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

All initial states of variables in Altera FPGA devices after power up are set to 'zero' logic. 

--- Quote End ---  

input reset; reg counting; always@(posedge clk or negedge reset) begin if(!reset) counting <= 11'd1; end 

I found that it counting is equal to 1 after power up! why?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

According to your post "M1" is input, not output. 

If you mean that another pin could generate falling edge at power up, No.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

According to your post "M1" is input, not output. 

If you mean that another pin could generate falling edge at power up, No. 

--- Quote End ---  

I used "counting <= 11'd1" to replace "counting <= 11'd0" 

after power on, Counting is actually equal to 1, I want to konw where this “reset” falling edge come from?  

this reset signal is connected to FPGA's “M1” pin. is it from FPGA device?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

but i uesd "counting <= 11'd1" to replace "counting <= 11'd0" 

after power on, Counting is actually equal to 1, why?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

but i uesd "counting <= 11'd1" to replace "counting <= 11'd0" 

after power on, Counting is actually equal to 1, why? 

--- Quote End ---  

You've not posted any code with the instruction "counting <= 11'd1". 

Why not just try using the exact code msj posted on# 2 ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You've not posted any code with the instruction "counting <= 11'd1". 

Why not just try using the exact code msj posted on# 2 ? 

--- Quote End ---  

input reset; reg counting; always@(posedge clk or negedge reset) begin if(!reset) counting <= 11'd1; end 

I had been modify. 

counting is equal to 1 after power on.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

True, if you use the default. You can set them to any value you want using initialization (at least in Verilog, I assume VHDL is similar). Quartus understands that if initialize a register to '1' it will invert the logic sense (since the register will physically initialize to a '0'). So to you it looks like the register initializes to a '1' but it is implemented as active low logic in Quartus (ie, '1' = low level, '0' = high level). 

I use the following Verilog to generate a long reset pulse at powerup in my Altera FPGA: 

// PowerUP Reset Logic // generate a 500ms reset pulse on initial powerup `ifdef SIMULATION reg pup_count = 25'd24999900; `else reg pup_count = 25'd0; `endif reg pup_reset = 1'b1; always @(posedge CLOCK_50) begin pup_count <=# TPD pup_count + 1'd1; if (pup_count == 25'd25000000) pup_reset <=# TPD 1'b0; end wire reset = pup_reset;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

True, if you use the default. You can set them to any value you want using initialization (at least in Verilog, I assume VHDL is similar). 

I use the following Verilog to generate a long reset pulse at powerup in my Altera FPGA: 

// PowerUP Reset Logic // generate a 500ms reset pulse on initial powerup `ifdef SIMULATION reg pup_count = 25'd24999900; `else reg pup_count = 25'd0; `endif reg pup_reset = 1'b1; always @(posedge CLOCK_50) begin pup_count <=# TPD pup_count + 1'd1; if (pup_count == 25'd25000000) pup_reset <=# TPD 1'b0; end wire reset = pup_reset; 

--- Quote End ---  

But there are no other reset instructions in my program 

only one reset instruction is 

input reset; 

reg[10:0] counting; 

always@(posedge clk or negedge reset) 

begin 

if(!reset) 

counting <= 11'd1; 

end 

counting is actually equal to 1 after power on, why?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The M1 pin is configured as reset pin. This pin is routed to some logic cell in the FPGA which contains a flip-flop/register. 

If it is asynchronous reset, it will be routed to the asynchronous reset port of the registers in that logic cell. If synchronous, it will be ANDed with register inputs. 

Now: 

When the FPGA powers up, all internal values of all registers, flip-flops, look-up tables, etc are zero. This is the case for the reset signal in that logic cell; thus your logic remains reset until FPGA powers up successfully. In this case the counting signal should be zero at first, and then gets 11'd1. You may not be able to see the 11'd0 value in the SignalTap since FPGA may not be alive at that moments, but you should test it. I'm not sure about this point. 

After power up, the value which is driven from the reset circuit outside FPGA supplies the reset signal in the FPGA logic cell. Depending on your external value the reset signal inside FPGA may be zero or one. 

So, at power up your reset signal is zero and then it will be driven by the external value. 

BUT, the reset signal may fluctuate a number of times before your design becomes stable, so use a reset synchroniser similar to what I posted in order to remove all glitches on the reset signal, both from sources inside FPGA and glitches outside FPGA due to reset circuit (a micro-switch probably).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

When the FPGA powers up, all internal values of all registers, flip-flops, look-up tables, etc are zero.  

This is the case for the reset signal in that logic cell;  

--- Quote End ---  

An alternative that could be considered would be assigning an inverted logic straight to the I/O. 

I'm not sure of that, but perhaps the option FAST_OUTPUT_REGISTER is likely to implement that functionality. 

It is uposed to bypass the register.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The M1 pin is configured as reset pin. This pin is routed to some logic cell in the FPGA which contains a flip-flop/register. 

If it is asynchronous reset, it will be routed to the asynchronous reset port of the registers in that logic cell. If synchronous, it will be ANDed with register inputs. 

Now: 

When the FPGA powers up, all internal values of all registers, flip-flops, look-up tables, etc are zero. This is the case for the reset signal in that logic cell; thus your logic remains reset until FPGA powers up successfully. In this case the counting signal should be zero at first, and then gets 11'd1. You may not be able to see the 11'd0 value in the SignalTap since FPGA may not be alive at that moments, but you should test it. I'm not sure about this point. 

After power up, the value which is driven from the reset circuit outside FPGA supplies the reset signal in the FPGA logic cell. Depending on your external value the reset signal inside FPGA may be zero or one. 

So, at power up your reset signal is zero and then it will be driven by the external value. 

BUT, the reset signal may fluctuate a number of times before your design becomes stable, so use a reset synchroniser similar to what I posted in order to remove all glitches on the reset signal, both from sources inside FPGA and glitches outside FPGA due to reset circuit (a micro-switch probably). 

--- Quote End ---  

thank you for your reply,there is no reset circuit outside.  

like you said"In this case the counting signal should be zero at first, and then gets 11'd1." 

I am a newbie, I'm sorry i don't know what you mean.
0 Kudos