Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20703 Discussions

identify FPGA reference on board

JLabr1
Beginner

Hi,

We use a FPGA Cyclone 4 EP4CE15F17C8N on our boards and we want to switch to EP4CE10F17C8N (pin to pin compatible) for cost and availability issues.

The FPGA is programmed at each power up by a microcontroler via passive serial configuration.
Our problem is how to identify which reference of FPGA is mounted on the board to load the corresponding bitstream.
Usually, we use a simple hardware configuration with pull-up or pull-down to identify the board revision but there is no more free combination.

So I search a way to know from the microcontroler which FPGA is mounted.

I want to test the following method :
- Try to program the FPGA (10 kLE or 15kLE) with the 10kLE bitstream
- At the end of the programmation:
○ If conf_done is OK, the FPGA is a 10kLE and is well configured
○ Else conf_done is KO, the FPGA shall be en 15kLE, the microcontroler starts a new programmation cycle with the 15 kLE binary file.

Questions :

1 - Is there an electrical risk to configure the 15kLE with the 10kLE file (IO configured in output instead of input for example) ?
2 - Is the FPGA partially programmed or the programmation is active only at the end when conf_done is OK ?

3 - Is there an other method to know to FPGA reference ?

Regards,

Jerome

0 Kudos
5 Replies
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Intel community.

By 'how to identify which reference of FPGA' do you mean you wanted to know which FPGA EP4CE15F17C8N OR EP4CE10F17C8N mounted on the board?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
JLabr1
Beginner

Hi,

Exactly, I want to know if the FPGA mounted on the board is a EP4CE15F17C8N OR EP4CE10F17C8N to load the correct bitstream.

Regards,

Jerome

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

In that case, you can use the method that you has suggested previously. There should be no issue. Or maybe you can view the FPGA top marking to see the device number?

Try to program the FPGA (10 kLE or 15kLE) with the 10kLE bitstream

- At the end of the programmation:

○ If conf_done is OK, the FPGA is a 10kLE and is well configured

○ Else conf_done is KO, the FPGA shall be en 15kLE, the microcontroler starts a new programmation cycle with the 15 kLE binary file.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
JLabr1
Beginner

Hi,

We have successfully test this method.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jerome

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos