Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

learning to load nios II program to A10 GX develop kit flash

dsun01
New Contributor III

Dear Intel Support and Expert

While I am opening the Board Update Portaexample with a 21.3 Quartus Pro.  after I Open the IP for upgrade. I got the following error message.

Info: Platform Designer Tip: Please Sync All System Infos before attempting to resolve the following error messages
Error: a10_fpga_bup.sgdma_rx: Component altera_avalon_sgdma 15.1 not found or could not be instantiated
Error: a10_fpga_bup.sgdma_tx: Component altera_avalon_sgdma 15.1 not found or could not be instantiated
Error: a10_fpga_bup.sgdma_tx.m_read: Data width must be of power of two and between 8 and 4096
Error: a10_fpga_bup.sgdma_rx.m_write: Data width must be of power of two and between 8 and 4096
Error: a10_fpga_bup.sgdma_rx.descriptor_read: Data width must be of power of two and between 8 and 4096
Error: a10_fpga_bup.sgdma_tx.descriptor_read: Data width must be of power of two and between 8 and 4096
Error: a10_fpga_bup.sgdma_tx.descriptor_write: Data width must be of power of two and between 8 and 4096
Error: a10_fpga_bup.sgdma_rx.descriptor_write: Data width must be of power of two and between 8 and 4096
Error: a10_fpga_bup.sgdma_tx.csr: Data width must be of power of two and between 8 and 4096
Error: a10_fpga_bup.sgdma_rx.csr: Data width must be of power of two and between 8 and 4096

do I have to install a quartus version like 15.1?  it is really painful to keep all the out of date Quartus version on my PC.

I have learned how to build a Nios II project and load it through a cable to the FPGA, what I want to know is how to burn the Nios program .hex to A10 dev kit board flash. I am reading "edh_ed_handbook-683689-666980" chapter 5. I quote here:

"

The boot memory could be the Compact Flash Interface (CFI) flash, Intel MAX 10 User Flash Memory (UFM), Intel Serial Flash (EPCS)/Intel Quad Serial Flash (EPCQ) configuration device,
Quad Serial Peripheral Interface (QSPI) flash or on-chip RAM (OCRAM). Regardless of
the nature of the boot memory, HAL-based systems are constructed so that the reset
vector and all program and data sections are initially stored in the boot memory.

"

what is the flash memory type on the A10 GX develop kit?

I hope there is an example could show the procedure step and step clear and simple. 

to make my question clear, is there a tutorial to show the procedure to load NiosII .hex program to flash memory on the A10 Gx dev board and boot it successfully from there. 

Thank you,

David 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

The design example is designed specifically based on Quartus 15.1 pro version and therefore if a different version is used, user is expected to be familiar with the IP upgrades.

Flashing onto the A10GX FPGA will be via EPCQ flash.

You may refer to this link to look at the EPCQ booting flow and information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683104/current/nios-ii-processor-booting-from-altera.html

There will be 2 methods to boot via EPCQ flash which are:

• The Nios® II processor application executes in place from EPCQ flash.
  • The Nios® II processor application is copied from EPCQ flash to RAM using a boot copier.

The booting methods will be chosen based on your needs and attached here is the link for your reference: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683104/current/scenarios-for-booting-nios-ii-from-epcq.html

Kindly have a look at the documents attached with link above. Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Any updates from your side? Was your Booting of Arria10GX successful?

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Any updates on whether the information provided is useful and has solved your issue?

Looking forward to your updates. Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous question/reply/answer that we have provided. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 4/5 survey.

Thank you.

Regards,

0 Kudos