Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

pof file size and address in flash

dvirbuc
Beginner

hello

I am trying to determine the beginning address and finale address of the pof in the flash

1.  how can I know where the pof file is stored in the flash,
    is it different for every FPGA?
  2. how can i know the size of the pof file stored in the flash?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

In your case the address in flash is 0x0 which is where it is stored. You may refer to this link for additional information :https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683698/21-1-19-1-0/implementing-page-in-the-flash-pof.html

Hope this clarifies your doubts.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

After I finish a full design compilation and generating the .sof/.pof/.jic files, I am left with a file DESIGN.map.

It's contents are (this is from a 13.0sp1 CycloneII compile):

BLOCK		START ADDRESS		END ADDRESS
Page_0		0x00000000	        0x00076CA1

Notes:
- Data checksum for this conversion is 0x00D518FB
- All the addresses in this file are byte addresses

Which shows that the data starts at 0x0 in the config prom and is length is 0x76CA2 bytes.

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Welcome to Intel's Forum.

You may check the DESIGN.map file to check the .pof file stored and the information of the addresses.

All the addresses in this file are byte addresses.

You may also refer to the community's comment below to locate the address information.

Thank you and hope to hear on your findings.

Regards,

Kelly

dvirbuc
Beginner

thanks for the reply.

I can't find the DESIGN.map file... where it is stored?

(I'm using Quartus Prime Version 20.1.1 Build 720 11/11//2020 SJ Standard Edition

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

It is stored in your design's place and route directory, along with all your other generated files.

And replace the letters DESIGN with your design's name. Or look for a file with the .map extension in your project directory.

0 Kudos
dvirbuc
Beginner

@ak6dn wrote:

It is stored in your design's place and route directory, along with all your other generated files.

I searched in the directory \..\my_project\output_files (where the .sof\.pof file are stored) , and there are no files with .map extension... there are: my_design.map.rpt, my_design.map.summary, and they are the Analysis & Synthesis report.

I also checked in the db directory and incremental_db directory.

maybe I need to toggle an option somewhere? 

And replace the letters DESIGN with your design's name. 

Of course

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Could you try to just click on your design file, and don't go into the output files directory. It should be available once you click on your design file. and you will see a .map file. You can open it with notepad/notepad++ and scroll down to the Memory configuration to check the address in flash.

I will attach some screenshots on the file location and the memory configuration that contains information of the flash.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Kindly find the screenshot of the .map file location here after you click on your design file(mine is hello_world2nd)

KellyJialin_Goh_0-1674793270441.png

Once you open the file with notepad/notepad++, you may search for the memory configurations part to check out the information needed, and a screenshot of how the memory configurations look like:

KellyJialin_Goh_1-1674793522794.png

Hope you manage to find these files and clear your doubts.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly 

0 Kudos
dvirbuc
Beginner

Sorry, but I still can't find the design.map file.

What do you mean by 

Could you try to just click on your design file

In my project directory I have only this files:

dvirbuc_0-1674974325396.png

do I need to search in another directory? I have also searched in the Quartos directory.

Can I view the .map file from quartus itself? 

thanks

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

What about in the output_files directory? Is that where you have Quartus place your generated files?

0 Kudos
dvirbuc
Beginner

as I said earlier:

I searched in the directory \..\my_project\output_files (where the .sof\.pof file are stored) , and there are no files with .map extension... there are: my_design.map.rpt, my_design.map.summary, and they are the Analysis & Synthesis report.

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

With the output files generated from the screenshot, the .map files is not present as your compilation was not on the NIOS II Eclipse side, but only on Quartus prime.

Maybe you could try compiling your project on NIOS II Eclipse to see whether the .map file is auto generated.

Hope to hear on your findings.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

This OP's issue has nothing to do with NIOS II Eclipse, it is related to Quartus generating a config PROM image.

When Quartus generates such an FPGA image for a config PROM it should also generate a .map file showing the PROM layout.

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

The .map file is not present as your project did not generate your pof file for EPC4, EPC8, or EPC16 flash configuration device to store the byte address. Therefore you will not be able to see the stored byte address or the size of your .pof file and no .map is auto generated.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
dvirbuc
Beginner

Hello,

@KellyJialin_Goh wrote:

and no .map is auto generated.

Can I generate .map file myself?

Can I obtain the memory address and size in any other way?

Because the programmer tool need to know the address and size of the pof file I assume it is stored somewhere or am I wrong?

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

I have found a similar community thread where you should be able to determine the pof file size with the link here:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Programmable-Devices/How-do-I-determine-FPGA-image-size-within-a-POF/td-p/146478

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
dvirbuc
Beginner

Thanks. It helped a bit.

But I still don't know where  in the flash the pof is stored.

And in my pof file the last section does not have Page_0 but has:

bICB 00000000 00010000;

mCFM0 00072000 00780000;

tUFM 00002000 00380000;

thanks

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

When you are converting your .sof file to a .pof file, you must have chosen your configuration device, which is ready to store your .pof file there. There is no text file/ information showing the stored location as you have already chosen when you are converting. Here is a link for your reference on procedure of converting your .sof to .pof and the targeted flash devices: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683698/21-1-19-1-0/converting-sof-files-to-a-pof.html

Hope this could help.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Any updates from your side?

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
dvirbuc
Beginner

Hi,

sorry for the long reply.

@KellyJialin_Goh wrote:

When you are converting your .sof file to a .pof file, you must have chosen your configuration device, which is ready to store your .pof file there. There is no text file/ information showing the stored location as you have already chosen when you are converting. Here is a link for your reference on procedure of converting your .sof to .pof and the targeted flash devices: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683698/21-1-19-1-0/converting-sof-files-to...

I didn't use this tool. Quartos generated a .pof file automatically.

@KellyJialin_Goh wrote:

There is no text file/ information showing the stored location as you have already chosen when you are converting

If so, how the programer tool know where to store the pof file in the flash. 

thanks

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

In your case the address in flash is 0x0 which is where it is stored. You may refer to this link for additional information :https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683698/21-1-19-1-0/implementing-page-in-the-flash-pof.html

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos