Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

"Can't lunch ModelSim-altera simulation software"

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I installed Quartus Prime 15.1 standard Edition with floating license file and which is valid. When I compile the RTL simulation it gives a pop up "Can't lunch ModelSim-altera simulation software." But the compiler design works fine. I have checked the other settings and there is nothing wrong with that. The popup window also suggests the check the nativeLink log file. However, all time the log file remains empty. Need some suggestion. 

Thanks 

Pankaj
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

One possible reason is, Quartus tool is not linked with modelsim-altera. Go to Tools -> Options -> EDA Tool Options. Check there if path is mentioned for modelsim-altera executable.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks but the path is perfectly linked with the executable file. i format my pc and install a fresh copy of ubuntu and fresh copy of Quartus Prime standard edition 15.1. but the same problem is showing up. Is there any other possibility? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanks but the path is perfectly linked with the executable file. i format my pc and install a fresh copy of ubuntu and fresh copy of Quartus Prime standard edition 15.1. but the same problem is showing up. Is there any other possibility? Thanks. 

--- Quote End ---  

I've got the same issue with Quartus-lite/16.1.0.196 on Centos 7 

The message is: 

Error: Can't launch ModelSim-Altera Simulation software -- make sure the software is properly installed and the environment variable LM_LICENSE_FILE or MGLS_LICENSE_FILE points to the correct license file. 

Error: NativeLink simulation flow was NOT successful 

The default Eda Tools Option is  

/<...>/Quartus-lite/16.1.0.196/linux/x86_64-linux/modelsim_ase/linuxaloem 

All seem to be correct according to this post. 

Do somebody help us to solve it. 

Best Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

On Quartus-lite (free) software on Centos7, the previous message (MGLS_LICENSE_FILE points to the ...) was due to missing 32bits libraries. 

The problem has been solved using: 

1) yum install glibc.i686 

2) yum install libX11.i686 --setopt=protected_multilib=false 

3) yum install libXext.i686 

4) yum install libXft.i686 --setopt=protected_multilib=false 

5) yum install ncurses-libs.i686 

Best Regards
ACott3
Beginner

Hello,

I was experiencing this same problem and thus getting the:

"Error: Can't launch ModelSim-Altera Simulation software -- make sure the software is properly installed and the environment variable LM_LICENSE_FILE or MGLS_LICENSE_FILE points to the correct license file. "

error message while trying to run the Modelsim Altera simulator which comes with the Quartus 16.1 standard edition.

The solution proposed in the above post:

"1) yum install glibc.i686 2) yum install libX11.i686 --setopt=protected_multilib=false 3) yum install libXext.i686 4) yum install libXft.i686 --setopt=protected_multilib=false 5) yum install ncurses-libs.i686 "

worked fine for me!

Thank you!!

😀 👍

0 Kudos