Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20733 Discussions

rx_clkout - route to which output pin

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm planning to use the ALT_GX module in an Arria II GX FPGA like indicated here: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/an/an610.pdf 

Page 7, figure 4. 

The question I have is which output pin should I route the rx_clkout to to feed the clean up PLL? Can it be any I/O pin, or should it be a pll#_clkout pin? 

Thank you
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Allow Quartus to be your guide; P&R a design using a regular I/O and then again using a PLL_OUT pin. 

I suspect that you will get a warning regarding excess jitter when you use a regular I/O pin. That is the type of warning you get when driving a PLL clock output to a non PLL-out pin. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'll will examine what Quartus does, but it seems curious that the PLL_OUT pin can only be pseudo-differential, but if I use a regular out pin, I can drive the pins in true differential, like LVDS. Either way, if I am using this signal to feed a clock jitter cleaner chip, it seems like I will suffer (either because I am not using a clock chip, or because I'm not driving in true differential style). 

Therefore, which is the better way to go? 

Seeing that  

http://www.altera.com/literature/an/an610.pdf 

Page 7, figure 4. 

Suggests to do this, what is the suggested pin type to use? 

Thank you
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

what is the suggested pin type to use? 

--- Quote End ---  

I would recommend the PLL_OUT pin, along with whatever resistors are needed to make the pseudo-differential signal compatible with the TI clock chip. Since the signal is a clock, you can AC-couple, so you'll just need to check that the amplitude of the output does not exceed the input to the TI jitter cleaner. 

File a Service Request with TI and ask which pins they used, or recommend. Please post their response here, in case others have this same question. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos