Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

the ERROR 82 in the JTAG server

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using trying to use the USB blaster to program my device 

I have been able to program EPCS4N EEPROM once.  

The Quartus program “QUIT” with an unexpected error and I have not been able to program the EEPROM again, on any of the boards I have 

I now get the error “Attempted to access JTAG server -- internal error code 82 occurred” 

I have gone through the help for. I have followed the instructions listed, with out any positive results. 

I have uninstalled the Quartus II 8.0 web based program, Using Regedit I have removed all entries of Quartus and JTAG from the registry and reinstalled the Quartus II 8.0 web based program. 

I still get the error. Please help
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

"I now get the error “Attempted to access JTAG server -- internal error code 82 occurred” " 

I also had the same problem. It was gone after I stopped the firewall.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys I've got the same problem but in my case that solution doesn't work... 

I switched off the firewall (Windows 7 64 -default firewall). I switched off all functions in my antivir (nod32 x64). But without any results. Next I was uninstall my antivir- no results. Reinstalation of Quartus ant antivir doesn't make any differences. 

When I'm trying to do anything in cmd with JTAG server, I obtain only information that JTAGserver is not installed or that JTAG server32bit can't be installed on 64 bit system. 

What is wrong with that? Is there any smart solution for that problem? Iam using Quartus 11.SP1. I used it before and everything was ok. Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My solution is to install Alone Programmer 11.0 from the altera's website.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I get the same error code. In previous version (v. 10) I installed and had to "update" the driver with the old driver version from Quartus 7.2, but now, when I try to use the Quartus 11.0, I do the same, and don´t work.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You should be using the jtagserver from 11.0sp1 or later as that has both a 32 and 64 bit version available. If you're not sure which jtagserver you are using then on windows you can run `jtagconfig --serverinfo` and it will tell you which one is installed and running. On linux you can use `ps`. Another useful command is `netstat -an | grep 1309` which should report a process listening on the socket - if it does not (and if you ran jtagconfig or similar within the last minute or two) then you have a jtagserver problem.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I also experienced Error 82 when using Quartus 11.0 for test on a Windows XP (32-Bit) computer and trying to add an USB Blaster to the hardware. I'm regularly using Quartus 9.0 for active projects. Interestingly jtaginfo --enum showed the server running and the USB Blaster connected with the JTAG chain.  

After executing this command, the Quartus programmer also recognized it. So there are apparently some unresolved problems with the JTAG driver of newer Quartus versions.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using Windows 7 64 bits, and the standalone Quartus II 11.0sp1 Programmer works fine, but in the previous Quartus version (10.0) I had to update the driver using the older version (from Quartus 7.2).  

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi I've got the same problem but in my case that solution doesn't work... 

I switched off the firewall (Windows 7 64 -default firewall). I switched off all functions in my antivir (nod32 x64). But without any results. Next I was diabled the my antivir firewall- no results. Reinstalation of Quartus ant antivir doesn't make any differences. And when I'm trying to do anything in cmd with JTAG server, I obtain only information that JTAGserver is not installed. can you please give me the reply...And presently i am using quartus12.0 web edition and my pc is windows7 64 bit 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have just had the same problem, after installing Quartus/NiosII v12.0sp2. 

(On a Win 7, 64 bit system). 

I have fixed the problem by downloading and installing the standalone programmer : 

12.0sp2_263 

.sof programming then works. 

cheers, 

Beau 

Ah, but the Eclipse Debugger still does not see the hardware : 

[Target Connection]: No Nios II target connection paths were located. Check connections and that a Nios II .sof is downloaded 

Exiting Eclipse and the programmer and re-running Eclipse : 

Eclipse now seems to use the standalone programmer, does the .sof programming. 

It gets further but then there is a different message : 

Downloading ELF Process failed. 

Does anyone have any ideas what I could try now ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would test that your hardware connectivity is good by issuing the command `jtagconfig -n` - this should include a Nios II debug agent node. 

I would then test that you can download to the Nios II processor with a command such as `nios2-download <myfile.elf>`. 

If you have multiple processors then you will need to add extra command line options to nios2-download to tell it which one to use. The --go option is often useful too.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Wombat, I will try what you suggest. 

I have had these problems after having been successfully connected using the Atari Monitor. 

I can usually connect after swopping between internal and standalone progammer (and sometimes back again), but no obvious pattern.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well firstly I have already uploaded the .sof file to the processor successfully. 

--- Quote Start ---  

I would test that your hardware connectivity is good by issuing the command `jtagconfig -n` - this should include a Nios II debug agent node. 

--- Quote End ---  

What I see in the shell is : 

bash-3.1$ jtagconfig -n 1) USB-Blaster 020B30DD EP2C(15|20) Node 0C006E00 JTAG UART# 0 Node 19104600 Nios II# 0 

I would then test that you can download to the Nios II processor with a command such as `nios2-download <myfile.elf>`. 

--- Quote End ---  

Well the shell uploads the file fine : 

bash-3.1$ nios2-download D:/home/jbww/Design/Altera/Eclipse_v12/NiosProjects/ap lc_binsr_tst/aplc_binsr_tst.elf Using cable "USB-Blaster ", device 1, instance 0x00 Pausing target processor: OK Initializing CPU cache (if present) OK Downloaded 408KB in 7.0s (58.2KB/s) Verified OK Leaving target processor paused 

To actually run the code I go back to Eclipse, do "run as" "NiodII Hardware" : 

Now I get message "System Console Model in invalid" "Cannot Launch" 

Close Console - same message. 

Close programmer, Close Eclipse 

Load Eclipse, Load programmer 

Uoload .sof, run : 

"Downloading Elf failed" 

Close programmer 

load standalone programmer 

Uoload .sof, run : 

"Downloading Elf failed" 

Hmm, it is now a couple of days since I have been able to run a program ... 

Exit from programmer and eclipse. 

Run monitor program - successfully upload and run an example .s program. 

Close monitor program 

Run Standalone programmer, upload .sof 

Run Eclipse, run matrix solving program 

connects fine, uploads fine, solves matrix fine. 

OK, 

back to binsr program - clean, build (OK) 

upload : 

Executing: nios2-app-update-makefile --list-src-files --app-dir D:\home\jbww\Design\Altera\Eclipse_v12\NiosProjects\aplc_binsr_tst (D:\home\jbww\Design\Altera\Eclipse_v12\NiosProjects\aplc_binsr_tst) 

tst_binsr.c 

Downloading Elf Process Failed. 

So what is going on ? This has run fine previously. 

I will dig more. 

Hmm it seems to have been a corruption in the Makefile. 

I rebuilt the application, copied in the same .c file, and it now works fine.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Forum Members, 

Q16.0 worked for a while with my 2 DE boards. 

All of a sudden it is unable to find the jtag server. 

I removed my virus scanner and disabled my firewall. 

I see the USB blaster in the hardware config of my PC and its working correctly, but quartus does not finde jtag server any more. 

Does anyone have a solution for this problem? 

Best Regards, 

Johi. 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

[solved] 

Hello Forum members, 

Some time ago i had a similar problem with 2 FTDI chip drivers, one on my arduino board and one on an earthpeople fpga board (that never got to work). 

As it happens this time i first connected the Arduino board, and later my DE2 board.  

Solution: Remove Arduino software (uninstall). Remove Quartus (uninstall). Remove the installed drivers also (select in windows system; hardware management; usb driver, click right and activate remove drivers as well). 

Then Reïnstall quartus (16.1 in my case) and the driver via the same window. This did the job for me. 

Best Regards, 

Johi.
0 Kudos