Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

Accidentally used Intel Rapid Storage, which has made accessing the HDD impossible

ddow731
Beginner

Hi, 

My brother used Intel Rapid Storage Technology on his Acer Aspire Laptop, without knowing what it would actually do to his computer, lured by a promise for it to free up space and improve speed. However, since he did that, it has made his 1TB HDD disappear from our access.

We do not care about the data on the drive, we just want it to go back to being a regular HDD. We do not want the hard drive and ssd to be in a RAID array, just two separate drives. 

We have tried doing a clean install of Windows 10, hoping it would re-format the HDD, but this has not solved our problem. We have also tried deleting/formatting the volume by following instructions from this post (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/629177/cant-access-intel-rst-bios-extension-via-ctrl-i-predator-gx-792 (the first post in the thread by user egydiocoelho)), however, it has not helped.  We also went into the BIOS and switch the computer from RAID to AHCI mode, but that only stopped the computer from booting into windows 10, so we switched it back.  

Doing all this has changed things slightly, as now the hard drive is no longer recognised as the recovery drive, but the RAID array still seems to exist, and we still do not have proper access to the HDD. 

We have not been able to use ctrl + I to open the Rapid Storage BIOS thing on boot.

I have attached 5 images from the Intel Rapid Storage Technology program, let me know if you need anything else. 

We would really appreciate help on this, as his final exams and assessments are due around this time, and having this fixed would help remove a lot of stress. Sorry if my explanation isn't great, I am completely unfamiliar with this kinda thing. Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello ddow731,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. I understand you are having issues eliminating the RAID volume.

I would like to know if you have configured the RAID volume using the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) or using your computer's BIOS settings (ctrl + I menu). 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
ddow731
Beginner

Hi Jean, my brother was able to solve this issue on his own. We no longer need the help. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello ddow731,

I am glad to know you found a solution, since the thread is solved I will close it now.
Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding

Best regards,
Jean O.
Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos