Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

After updating IRST software, Windows won't boot?

RHatc
Beginner

Hi everyone,

After updating IRST software, My windows 10 desktop computer won't boot.

I 'm using IRST to manage my RAID 1.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Rich

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello rhatch,

I understand that you are facing booting issues on your system after updating Intel® Rapid Storage (Intel® RST)

In order to assist you can you please provide us with your system model and brand?

Do you remember which version of RST did you update, or which one was installed before the update?

Have you tried any specific troubleshooting?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
RHatc
Beginner

Thanks Diego for trying to help me!

In order to assist you can you please provide us with your system model and brand?

CyberPower PC - built your own PC.

Motherboard - MSI X99S Gaming 7 4 way Crossfirex

Hard Drive - 2 TB SATA III

CPU - Intel I7 - 5930k processor

Raid - RAID 1 Mirroring

Do you remember which version of RST did you update, or which one was installed before the update?

I don't remember which one was installed before the update. I did go to the MSI website to download the correct files for the MSI X99S Gaming motherboard which I think this is the one I downloaded and Installed, since the install I can't boot to windows 10.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver

Version

Release Date

2016-05-11

File Size

13.93 MB

Have you tried any specific troubleshooting?

1. I was afraid to do any thing because I don't want to lose the data on my Raid Drive.

2. Since I couldn't get into windows, Windows try to do it own repair and said it can't repair the problem.

3. When I tried to view the c: from the command prompt it has a file size of 329 MB and not the 2 TB I expected.

4. This morning I found the original motherboard driver that came with the system. I feel, If I could access the hard drive, I could copy the correct Intel RST files to the correct folders the system might start back up.

Also, I noticed in the BIOS setting, the SATA mode was set to AHCI and not RAID. I did change it to RAID to see if it would boot but it did not boot up.

Thanks for your help, If you could help by Phone, I would really appreciate it.

Richard

0 Kudos
RHatc
Beginner

Hi Luis,

I think I might have install the wrong software. I install the Intel rapid storage technology software and I should have installed the intel Matrix storage manager.

Is there a way to remove the intel rapid storage technology software and reinstall the intel Matrix storage manager?

Thanks

Richard

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rhatch,

Thank you for you response.

We are currently performing further investigation regarding you case based on the details provided by you.

This may cause a brief delay between our answers; however I will reach you back as soon as we have an answer.

Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards,

Diego S.
0 Kudos
RHatc
Beginner

Hi Diego,

Are you working with Luis regarding my IRST issue? (After updating IRST software, Windows won't boot?)

Richard

0 Kudos
RHatc
Beginner

Attached is my SSU report

Thanks for your help!

Richard

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rhatch,

Thank you for your patience.

In this case, at the moment I am the only one handling this case along with our team in order to perform research about your issue.

May I know, do you have any other ticket or any other case through our support?

I can see that you mentioned an agent called Luis, however is not part of this support ticket.

Based on the brief description of your case, your machine was not booting, however I can see that you sent a report and scan of your system, is that issue solved?

Is the computer booting?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
RHatc
Beginner

In order to send you the report and scan of my system, I purchase two new drives and was able to use an older backup I had to get my system backup and running, but my data is very old and not current. Is this a way to mount the two drives and pull the current data off those drives or is their a way to remove the new IRST software I installed and revert it back to the one I had before this issue started.

I can't believe all this happen because I updated my IRST software.

Luis sends me e-mails but they don't show up on you community support group page. I hope he is agent of Intel. I will send you a copy of his response, please see below.

Hello,

An update was made to service request https://supporttickets.intel.com/requestdetail?id=5000P00000hldtRQAQ&lang=en-US 03397537 on May 14, 2018

Let me gather more information in order to find out which RST version you should installed with the new 2 drives you bought.

Install the application Intel® System support utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Scan your computer with Intel® system support utility and send back the .txt file. First click scan, wait for a moment, you should see two views on the upper left hand: Summary -detailed inside the app, change to detailed view & save the file.

Please attach it to the case.

Regards,

Luis Gustavo A.

https://supporttickets.intel.com/requestdetail?id=5000P00000hldtRQAQ&lang=en-US Sign in to view and update your request or to get additional information. You can also reply to this email with questions or comments.

Regards,

Intel Support Team

Intel will use your personal information solely for the purpose it was collected. We will not use your personal information for a different purpose without first asking your permission. In order to fulfill the purpose, we may need to share your personal information within Intel Corporation, Intel subsidiaries worldwide, or with authorized third parties.

http://www.intel.com/privacy Privacy – http://www.intel.com/cookies Cookies

Intel may contact you in order to obtain your feedback on the quality of the support you received. We give you many choices regarding our use of your personal information for quality assurance and marketing purposes. You may update and request access to your contact details and communication preferences by using one of the following methods: visit the specific product or service website; use the https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/privacy-contact-us.html Contact Us form; or send a letter to the postal address below.

Intel Corporation; Mailstop RNB4-145; 2200 Mission College Blvd.; Santa Clara, CA 95054 USA

® Intel Corporation – http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/legal/terms-of-use.html Legal Information – http://www.intel.com/ www.intel.com

Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

*********************PLEASE DO NOT DELETE*********************

Thread ID: ref:_00DU0YT3c._5000PhldtR:ref

You must include this text in any reply to this email. Thank you.

*********************PLEASE DO NOT DELETE*********************
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rhatch,

Thank you for your response

We currently have three cases under your name regarding the exact same issue, 2 of them are handled by the community support, one of them directly through our email and phone support. In order to expedite your request please stick only to your original case number 03397537 handled by Luis Gustavo A., one of our representatives from chat and phone support, so we can assist you further and faster.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
RHatc
Beginner

Luis's last response was as follows,

1-Attempt to access the RAID drives information from a separate supported PC.

2- Seek assistance at a local computer shop, that would help with recovery data tools or with the drive manufacturer.

My response back to Luis was as follows.

How do I attempt to access the RAID drives information from a separate supported PC.

1. Does separated PC have to use RAID?
  2. Can I just add it as a SATA drive to the other PC?
  3. Can I plug it into a USB docking station and will this work?

As you can see I'm not familiar with doing this.

Also, I purchase two new drives and was able to use an older backup I had to get my system backup in running, but my data is older and not current. Is this a way to mount the two drives and pull the current data off those drives?

I tried connecting my RAID drive to another PC and couldn't view any of the data. I also tried using the USB docking station and that didn't work either, I still couldn't view the data. I think this is because the I connected the RAID drive to a SATA PC Non-RAID so it could view the data.

I think Luis has giving up on me because he never response to my last e-mail and his last comment said Seek assistance at a local computer shop.

I keep asking everyone the following questions but no one answers my questions? See below.

1) Is there a way to mount the two drives and pull the current data off those drives?

2) Is their a way to remove the new IRST software I installed and revert it back to the one I had before this issue started.

Diego Please don't give up on me, I need help. Is there another level of support that would be available to me?

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rhatch,

Thank you for your response.

I have sent a private message, please take a look at your inbox.

Best Regards,

Diego S.
0 Kudos