Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2071 Discussions

Boot error "abnormal status reported by rapid storage technology uefi driver"

BB12388
Beginner

Hi

I have a Win 10 PC with Gigabyte Aorus Elite Z590 MB, NvME SSD Main Disk with O/S , SATA SSD storage and a HDD Raid 0 Config for storage. 

The PC completed some Windows Updates in the last few days and subsequently I get this error message on startup/POST and it will not boot to Windows afterwards, I'm assuming the Windows updates may have generated the conflict, though one of the Raid 0 HDD's seems to be no longer detected in the RAID, so it may have failed or some conflict developed and that's the cause, though I don't know why that would prevent the machine from booting as the RAID isn't the boot drive, BIOS screenshots attached. 

Suggestions on a fix that doesn't involve wiping all my drives are welcome. I can get to the BIOS and see and change the config if necessary. The RAID is regularly backed up so breaking it is an option. 

Thanks and Merry Christmas

0 Kudos
26 Replies
BB12388
Beginner

Fair observation - but all the drives are detected in the BIOS, see attached, I believe one of the Raid Discs may have failed, (though the drives are still detected in BIOS) but I do regular backups so I'm not too concerned about that, I have a feeling once the issue with IRST is resolved the drives will come back online

Trying to figure out how to reinstall IRST without nuking the boot disc is probably all I need to do to move forward - I think the storage disc will come back online once the issue is resolved, I used clonezilla to clone both the NVME boot drive as well as the SSD storage last week using a boot disc without any issue 

One thing that puzzles me is the Intel RST Raid Driver is 18.31.1.5224 installed in the machine (per image 3204) but the latest driver on the Gigabyte website is 18.6.1.1016 (or 18.6.1.1016.1) which is the same version as the Intel website

The instructions for Gigabyte give for installing and configuring IRST are pretty useless - see attached

Any advice on how to re-install IRST is appreciated 

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

BB12388, Thank you very much for letting us know those details and sharing the pictures.

We will continue with our research on this matter and provide a response as soon as it becomes available.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello BB12388, I just received an update on this matter.

As per IMG_3202 there is 1 HDD with issues:

SATA1: Samsung SSD 980 1TB >> Status OK

SATA2: Seagate Desktop HDD 3TB >> Capacity just 4.1 GB out of 3000.5 GB, so there is something wrong with this drive

SATA3: Seagate Desktop HDD 3TB >> Status OK

Alberto_R_Intel_0-1674254590428.jpeg

Also, as per IMG_3054 and IMG_3056, this drive is not being properly detected showing the status for SATA2 as Not Installed,

Alberto_R_Intel_1-1674254628313.jpeg

Alberto_R_Intel_2-1674254651557.jpeg

Additionally, in the link below you will find the User Guide with the details you requested, page 41 for deleting the RAID Volume and page 116 for the Uninstallation but we just wanted to be clear that the issue is not related to Intel® RST, is a faulty drive:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/technologies/intel-rst-installation-and-user-guide.pdf

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
BB12388
Beginner

I can't delete the raid per the instruction as there's no Optane UI to do so.

I tried to install it and no luck. 

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

BB12388, Thank you very much for providing those results.

We are sorry to hear the issue persists. We will continue working on this matter and provide any update as soon as it becomes available.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

BB12388, I just received another update on this matter.

In this case, if you do not have the UI (User Interface), that means the RAID was created by using the BIOS setting. For that scenario, the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with Gigabyte Support so they can further assist you in removing the RAID since they support everything related to the BIOS:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Support

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos