Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

Can't install Linux Mint dual boot with RST driver - How can I change to Sata AHCi

BillAnderson
Beginner

I have an HP Laptop - 17t-by300 CTO with a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz processor with Optane memory using a Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller.

My disk is a standard 1TB sata drive not a SSD.

While attempting to install Linux Mint 20 the installation aborts after detecting the RST driver.

How can I replace the RST driver with a Standard SATA AHCI  driver or some how keep Linux from detecting the presence of the RST driver ?

I have already disabled secure boot and removed the RST application after disabling everything I could including wiping the Optane memory.

Any help would be appreciated since I intended to run Linuxcnc on this machine along with some windows applications.

thanks

bill a

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

BillAnderson, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, regarding your question, "How can I change to Sata AHCi", just to let you know, those changes or those settings are located in the BIOS of the computer, so in this case, the best thing to do will be to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the laptop in order to gather the instructions on how to enter the BIOS and which settings to change since they customized all the options in there:

https://support.hp.com/us-en

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
BillAnderson
Beginner

My bios selection allows me to disable secure boot and to disable optane, but the Intel RST driver apparently has two modes RAID and AHCI. Mine is set to AHCI for the 1TB SATA hard drive.

Linux Mint still sees Intel RST. How can I replace the Intel Driver with a Standard SATA AHCI driver?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, not quite. In most BIOS implementations, Intel RST is enabled by setting the SATA Mode parameter to either RAID or Optane. Setting it to AHCI will disable Intel RST.

If you are running Windows and have Intel RST installed and you then want to switch to AHCI, you should uninstall the Intel RST software package that you have installed. This will remove the Intel Storage Driver and return to the use of the Microsoft Storage Driver.

...S

0 Kudos