Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Can you Defragment and Optimize a Hard Drive (or Volume) which is a member of an Intel RST RAID 1 Volume or should you just leave the Volume alone?

MMata3
Beginner

Can you (or should you) Defragment and Optimize a Hard Drive (or Volume) which is a member of an Intel Rapid Storage Technology RAID 1 Volume?

My Configuration:

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Version: 14.5.0.1081

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Volume1: 2 x 2 TB Seagate Desktop HDDs (contains Operating System & other Software)

Volume2: 2 x 2 TB Seagate Desktop HDDs (contains Data only)

Can I Defragment and Optimize either or both of the above Volumes using Defragment and Optimize Drives in Windows 10 Administrative Tools or should I just leave the Volumes alone? Both Volumes are OK right now (see Screenshot of Current Status) but I would like to set a schedule for Optimization if there is no downside to it. Thank you for any information which can shed light on this subject.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello MarkM-NY

Thank you for joining the Intel® community.

For the information that you are sharing with us, I see that you are looking to use the Windows® defragment tool on the RAID arrays on your system; since this is a 3rd party tool we cannot confirm how it may improve or impact your system.

I would recommend contacting Microsoft for more inside on the possible outcomes.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/ https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Note: we recommend having a back up of your data before making changes on the system to avoid data damage.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
MMata3
Beginner

Thank you for your response. If any member of the Intel Community has used the Windows 10 Administrative Tool Defragment and Optimize Drives to Defragment an Intel RST RAID 1 Volume consisting of 2 Hard Disk Drives, I would appreciate learning how it worked out or any further information on the issue. The only information I have been able to find applies to Intel RST RAID 1 Volumes consisting of Solid State Drives. For Solid State Drives, the Intel recommendations appear in the Intel Solid State Drive Toolbox User Guide Rev. October 2016 page 20.

0 Kudos