Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Cannot change RAID-1 to Recovery Volume - RST 9.6.0.1014

idata
Employee

I decided to upgrade from IMSC 8.8 to RST 9.6 for the presumed bug fixes before converting my 2-disk boot volume from RAID-1 to a "Recovery Volume". However, although the HELP page indicates that this is feasible, when I click "Change type", the only option I have is "RAID-0". There is no other type to select. I know that IMSC had a right-click option to do this. Am I missing some obvious step and/or setting?

Regards

-- Charlie

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Employee

Did you had this option with the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager?

What chipset do you have?

If you have a DELL* system, some of them will not allow to do a recovery volume.

PV.

idata
Employee

Regarding your questions:

1) I do not know if IMSM 8.8 actually supported this, since I never actually tried to do so, no is the software installed now.

2) My computer is a Dell T3400. The chipset is ICH9. The RAID Option ROM firmware version is 7.6.1.1001. I have two 250-GB SATA drives connected in a RAID-1 mirror.

idata
Employee

For planning purposes, if it turns out that there is no way to conver to a Recovery Volume, is there a safe way to convert the RAID-1 mirror back to a non-redundant, single-disk solution without having to do a reinstall? If so, is there a well documented series of steps that is valid for RST 9.6? I don't want to do this, but I would like to know if it is possible if all else fails.

idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Does the Intel rep feel that he answered my question? If so, I beg to disagree. So far the information flow seems to have been from me to Intel, not the other way around. I'm quite underwhelmed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is anybody from Intel responding to questions these days?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Perhaps I am confused. Enlightenment would be appreciated.

• I was under the impression that "communities.intel.com" was Intels preferred mechanism for technical assistance. Is that mistaken?
  • Am I posting the problem with RST software in the wrong forum?
  • Am I using the wrong tags?
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Charles, I apologize for the inconvenience.

As I mentioned before, DELL* systems will usually have this option disabled.

Have you tried to contact your system manufacturer to confirm that you have this option?

PV.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

if the RAID1 volume is larger than 1.3TB, you will not be able to convert it to a Recovery Volume.

Also, if the RAID1 volume does not use the entire size of the disk, then it will not be able to be converted. A Recovery volume requires that at least one member disk use the entire capacity of the disk.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My RAID-1 configuration uses all of 2 identical 1-TB SATA drives.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just noticed your note: "The RAID Option ROM firmware version is 7.6.1.1001."

No 7.6.1 RAID Option ROM had Recovery Volume support.

Therefore, the RST UI in Windows will prevent creation of a Recovery Volume since it is aware of what the RAID Option ROM on the system supports.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

AHA! That is a very helpful answer, thank you!

Is the ROM essentially frozen (short of heroic measures), or is it upgradeable? And if so, where should I go to see what would be a suitable upgrade for me?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The Option ROM can only be updated via a BIOS update. Therefore, you could only update the RAID OROM if Dell released a newer BIOS for your system with a new OROM included in the BIOS.

0 Kudos