Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

Cannot keep existing data on a disk when creating Raid1 in RST, it will not let me select Yes: Sata disk on controller 0, Port 0 or Yes: Sata disk on controller 0, Port 1 They are both greyed out.

IThom1
Beginner

I am relacing 2 x 1Tb hard drives for 2 x 3Tb hard drives. I have reduced the new drives to under 2Tb.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello IThom1, Thank you for joining this Intel Community. This behavior could be caused by an I/O controller hub (ICH) limitation. To confirm this information, we would like to gather your system configuration. Run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread. 1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello IThom1, If you have any further questions, we would like to have the report requested. In that way, we can verify the information about the I/O controller hub (ICH). Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello IThom1, Thank you for attaching the report. Since the operating system was installed prior to creating a volume, you may not be able to set up a RAID 1 volume using the Intel® RST User Interface in Windows*. A workaround for this issue is the following: 1. Back up your data. 2. Install additional drives in your system. 3. Create the volume required to enhance your storage system. Note: The drive where the operating system is loaded cannot be included in the array. If you have any further questions, please let us know. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
IThom1
Beginner

But this page on your website tells me I can install a Raid volume and keep my data even thought the operating system is already on, I bought two new drives on the basis it could be done.

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000005837/technologies/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst.html

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello IThom1, When adding the drive where the operating system is loaded on to a RAID 1 volume, you are limited to a 2 TB volume. For this reason, you are unable to add a 3 TB drive and higher capacity drives to the array. As a suggestion, you should always load the operating system into one drive and use other drives as storage and create RAID volumes. If you already have a RAID 1 volume with 2x 1TB drives, then you need to back up your data. Once all the data is securely copied to another storage device, reset to non-RAID. Then, remove one of the drives, boot into Windows* and use the new hard drives to rebuild the RAID 1 volume. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello IThom1, If you have any further questions, we will be glad to help you. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
IThom1
Beginner

I have replaced the 3tb drives with 2tb drives and it's now working.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos