Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Cloning an SSD with both system and cache volumes (Raid 0) to a New Single SSD

WKasp
Beginner

My current set up:

Physical Disk 1 (64GB MSATA SSD on SATA Port 1) set as RAID 0: Volume 0 is my C: boot/OS drive with Windows 10 system (32GB), and Volume 1 is my RST cache (32GB), which accelerates my 1TB HD

Physical Disk 2 (1TB Hard Drive on SATA Port 2) set as single drive D:, accelerated by RST as shown below:

My Goal:

I am adding a new Physical Disk 3 (Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD), installed on Sata Port 0, and which will become my boot/Windows 10 drive. I wish to clone the boot volume (vol 0) of my MSATA to the new SSD. Once I can reliably boot from the new drive, I will reconfigure the MSATA drive to use all 64GB to cache the 1TB HDD.

The Samsung Data Migration software failed to clone the C, but I completed the cloning procedure successfully using Macrium Reflect. However, the new drive shows up as Drive J: in disk manager and does not show as a boot drive.

I suspect the problem may be that the current MSATA SSD boot drive is configured as Raid 0, and the new 120 SSD is configured as a single drive, but I am now out of my depth. Can someone please advise what I will need to do to clone and boot the new SSD? If this is not possible, I can reinstall Windows 10, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks! Here is a screenshot of my Disk Management console.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello kstrategy,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

In this case, the recommendation is to reinstall the OS on the new drive, this because the OS shouldn't be installed in the same drive that you use for acceleration.

Hope this information helps.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello kstrategy,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance?

Please don't hesitate in replying to this post if you need additional information.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
WKasp
Beginner

Thanks for your feedback. However, I'm confused because there does not seem to be any problem with with using a large SSD for both the OS and acceleration, so long as the drive you're accelerating is not the boot drive. Intel Rapid Storage only uses up to 64GB of space on an SSD. Any additional space can be formatted as a normal drive, including the OS boot drive. It really works well. Than, you can use a larger mechanical HDD, accelerated by the 64GB IRST caching drive. The only wierd part is that you end up with a single SSD that is technically in a RAID 0 configuration, without a second drive. But it is 100% stable and demonstrates excellent performance for both the OS partition and the caching function.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello kstrategy,

Thank you for your feedback.

In this case, I provided the recommended settings for the IRST; however, if you mention that the system is stable with the configuration you used, it should be ok.

Please don't hesitate in contacting us if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos