Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Controller vs Managed Controller

Sylbeth04
Beginner

I don't get what's the difference between both and which one I should install on my Acer Nitro 515-57. I've seen a post from someone who had problems with the Managed Controller. Should I install the Controller then? (9A0B instead of 09AB)

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Sylbeth04
Beginner

I am using a 1024 GB PCIe NVMe SSD if that's of any use.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Sylbeth04

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Based on the information you shared we understand that you are wondering if you should install Intel® RST Volume Management Device (Intel® VMD) controller? Is this correct?

Intel® VMD is intended for VMD Platforms which is supported only for Intel® 11th Generation platforms or newer. For instance, Mobile Low Power Premium UP3/UP4 Processors (e.g.: 11th/12th Gen CPU-based systems that are completely configured and ready to go).

Based on the information that we found on Acer's website, the computer Nitro AN515-57 comes with an Intel® Core™ i7-11800H Processor. Is this correct?

For normal scenarios where it is needed to install an Intel® RST driver, we recommend that end users utilize the drivers provided by their system manufacturer (OEM) to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers. System manufacturers regularly customize Intel generic drivers to meet the needs of their specific system design. In such cases, the use of the Intel generic driver update is not recommended.

Installing the latest OEM driver available for your system on Acer's website* (Version 18.x) should be enough to provide the proper RST capabilities and features for the system. We would also advise checking directly with ACER* Support for additional details to confirm proper controller/drivers for the system in case of any doubt; this is since they as the manufacturers of the system should handle all the technical details about your computer.

If you have additional inquiries, could you please provide us with more details: For instance:

1. What are you trying to achieve or deploy?
  2. Are you experiencing any issue or installation error/concern?
  3. Where are you downloading the drivers from? Could you please share the link as a reference?
  4. Operating System Version and Build Number? Also, are you trying to install Windows* on the computer?
  5. BIOS Version:
  6. Feel free to share additional information, pictures, etc.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Sylbeth04
Beginner

Thank you for reaching,

I am sorry if I was not specific enough, since I actually had all of that covered by my own research. My question was more around the actual Windows installation itself. When I download the driver, it appears to be two different ones instead of just one, and I could not find the information online.

I am trying to install Windows 10 and for that I need to install the driver for the ssd so it can actually install it, but when I try to, I don't know which one I should install, since they both work perfectly, and I want to know which one is better (I needed to start working with it, so I installed the controller instead of the managed controller, but I don't know if it was the best option).

There are no issues or errors, I am concerned if it is or is not the best option since that could possibly lead to lower its performance.

I downloaded them directly from the official website with the drivers specifically thought for my laptop: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8963?b=1

I do not know the FreeDos (its operating sistem, it only had the UEFI installed) nor the BIOS versions, but I can check them if needed, and yes, I wanted to install Windows (I did it with the controller (9A0B)

That is all, I am sorry if I could not get my message through, and thank you for replying.

Yours sincerely,

Sílvia Elisabeth

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Sylbeth04

Thank you for your response and for these details. Please allow us to review this information further and as soon as we have more details available we will be posting here in the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Sylbeth04

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After investigating further your inquiries, we would like to inform you that with VMD the hardware generates dummy devices for multi-function devices when mapped under VMD. These functions may be visible to Windows OS and yellow bangs are observed on Device Manager. To avoid this and to cover these dummy devices the driver shall load on DID 0x09AB. Both should be installed and if not sometimes it may prevent the system going into modern standby.

Both should be installed and there shouldn’t be any issues with it. Otherwise, you could see a yellow bang in Device Manager. No performance drops are expected.

We hope this clarifies the concerns on VMD.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Sylbeth04

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Sylbeth04

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos