Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

Creation of RAID1 failed with 0xA0040002 error

VZimm
Beginner

Hello.

I am having alot of trouble creating a RAID 1 array on a fresh install of windows 10 with intel RST.

I have 2 HDD, 1 with data on it. I try to create a RAID1 array while keeping the data on the first HDD through intel RST. I am given the following error message: "(0xA0040002): An unknown error occured while an operation was in progress. The operation could not be completed." I close that down, and it then tells me my volume was created successfully. 1 HDD disappears from detection, but the raid array does not work. I have tried copying files onto it, and then removing the RAID, and the newly copied files are not on the second HHD.

I have tried this as having them both as simple volumes, and then tried dynamic volumes. Both HDD are GPT. I tried this with RST 16.5.0.x drivers that i downloaded from the motherboard site. I then tried this after upgrading to the latest 16.7.1.1009 drivers I downloaded from intel with the same result. I made sure windows was up to date on all attempts. I have exhausted my knowledge of how to fix this.

Here is an attached copy of intels SSU Scan if it is required. I also recorded a short 1 minute video of of this process and the error it creates, with the disk management ultility up, which shows exactly what i do and what happens: https://youtu.be/4W4tHz8b6BI Desktop 2018 10 23 14 54 58 02 - YouTube

I am hoping someone here can help me, thanks for your time in reading this.

Val

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Val-Z,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I can see that you are trying to create a RAID 1 but it fails during the process.

Please let me know, how are the drives connected? Are they SATA drives or external USB drives? Also, please provide me with an Rapid Storage Technology System Report, this report can be generated by following the steps in the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

Make sure to attach it to this thread so we can have more information.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
VZimm
Beginner

The 2 Western Digital 2tb HDD I am trying to make a raid1 with are attached via SATA cables through a SATA3 interface.

I have attached the intel RST System report you requested.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Val-Z,

Thank you for your response.

In this case, the drives must be taken back to "basic" drives instead of "dynamic" for this to work properly. Furthermore, what I would strongly recommend you to do is to backup all of your data in case there was a problem with this procedure. It is also recommended to perform a clean on both drives, initializing them and then re-formatting them, making sure that both of them are "basic" drives and not "dynamic".

If you are unable to format or backup the information then you will still need to try to convert the disk to "basic". I have found the following article as a reference that you can use to do so:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/change-a-dynamic-disk-back-to-a-basic-disk https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/change-a-dynamic-disk-back-to-a-basic-disk

* Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. *

Once this has been done, please try to create the RAID once more and let me know if the issue persists. Also, if possible, make sure that the drives are set to RAID instead of AHCI in the BIOS, this can be done with guidance from your motherboard's/system's manufacturer.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
VZimm
Beginner

Thank you for your help so far. I had already tried it as basic drives, and it did not work, but that was with older RST drivers.

So, first, i backed up what i consider to be the critical data on the drive, i don't have the capacity to back it all up. While i will not willingly delete the rest, if it gets removed i can live with it.

I formatted the drive with no data on it, making sure it became a 'basic' volume. I then copied the data across to this new volume, and deleted the 2nd 'dynamic' volume, then re formatted that drive as well.

Both drives have now been formatted and are 'basic'. The bios was already in raid mode, i made sure to double check, and took a screenshot and attached it.

When i try to create a RAID volume now, pretty much the same thing happens. 1 HDD just disappears completely, and i get an error message. The error is different this time, code 0xA005004B. I have taken a video of me completing this process with disk management up, you can find the 1 minute clip here: https://youtu.be/uCG4ycGZ_nQ failed RAID1 attempt 2 - YouTube . When i clear the metadata, the HDD reappears.

Please let me know the next step in this process, thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Val-Z,

I have requested some information via private message. Please refer to your private message inbox and provide or confirm any information requested.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
VZimm
Beginner

Hi David,

Thanks for your help so far. PM has been replied to.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Val-Z,

Now that I have all of the information I would like to try something else. According to the Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology system report, it appears to be that one of the drives has a 4K sector size and the other has 512 byte sector size.

It is always recommended that both drives are exactly the same when creating a RAID, which could be the reason why it keeps giving error; however, you can test to see if the Windows* disk management allows you to create a RAID 1, please refer to the link below to see how:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-mirrored-volume-file-redundancy-windows-10 https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-mirrored-volume-file-redundancy-windows-10

* Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. *

Remember to backup the most important data before following this process, and also, in the link please refer to the part called "How to create a mirrored volume with data already in the drive".

I took a screenshot of the Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology system report showing the drives and the sector size so you can see.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
VZimm
Beginner

So, as for the sector size, in my old computer, these 2 HDD were set up in a RAID1 under an older version of intel raid that accompanied my gen2 Sandy Bridge, with the interface on boot by pressing ctrl+I.

So, while I guess it is possible the sector sizes are an issue under the new RST, its not something that was an issue in the past and i find it unlikely.

I tried to create a mirrored volume in disk management, as I already had before coming here as well. This failed, with an error message of "Not enough space on the drive". You can find a 30 second video of this attempt here: https://youtu.be/N2d-RCPz2vU Attempt to make RAID1 in disk management - YouTube

I then shrunk the volume size on the drive with data on it, so the unallocated space on the spare drive would definitely cover it. It failed with the same error message.

Out of curiosity, with none of these options working, i then flashed the BIOS, in case there was an issue there. It flashed successfully to UEFI version P3.20. I tried to create the RAID through RST and disk management again, but both failed in the same way as before.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Val-Z,

I was checking the video you provided me with and I can see that one of the disks that you are using is still dynamic. Could you try again with the Windows* RAID manager but this time, change the disk back to "Basic"?

Also, the problem is present not only with the Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology, but also with the Windows* RAID manager. This does not point to a software issue but more to a hardware or configuration of the drives problem.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
VZimm
Beginner

Hey.

If you are referring to the latest video, you can see at the start both disks are basic, but when i start the process with windows RAID manager it converts the disks to dynamic itself (and states it must before trying).

I have 100% used both disks as basic and then tried both as dynamic with all options you have ask me to do. I have tried both disks starting as basic and both starting as dynamic in both Intel RAID and windows RAID.

In fact, most steps you have requested I try, I had already done myself before coming here. I went through and did them again as you requested regardless.

I am going to buy another HDD this weekend, and shift all data off both drives, and see if I can make a fresh RAID1. I dont think there is any other options at this point unless you have anything else for me to try?

Thanks,

Val

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Val-Z,

I am writing to know if you were able to create a RAID 1 by using a new HDD?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
VZimm
Beginner

I was able to buy a cheap external HDD, and move all data off the 2 drives i want to make a RAID with.

I was then able to make the RAID array with no problems whatsoever using intel RST. I re-established all my data on the newly formed RAID, tested it by removing 1 HDD and then the other to make sure data was on both drives, and it was. It seems to now be functioning perfectly.

For some unknown reason, it just did not like or want to create a RAID array with any data on those disks no matter what i tried. Whether this was a hardware or software matter I am really not sure. It seems easy to put it in the hardware basket and forget about it, but, making the array fine with no data on the disks but failed when close to full with data seems like a software issue to me. I guess that is mostly an irrelevant though as I have got it set up and working the way it is supposed to be.

Thank you all for your help here, much appreciated.

- Val

0 Kudos