Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Drive not detected after installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Management Console

WConn1
Beginner

The computer is a Dell XPS 8900, Windows 10. It came with a 1 TB hard drive, I installed a 5 TB drive to use as storage and backup. Last week I installed a 256 GB SSD drive. I did a clean install of Windows 10, installing it on the SSD drive. Everything was good, all 3 drives showed up. Went to Dell's website and updated the drivers. The 5 TB drive disappeared... It was the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Management Console that was causing the problem. With it installed, the drive isn't detected by Windows or the console. I uninstall it, and the drive is back. The drive is a Western digital, model WD5001FZWX. I figured that this was probably a Dell problem, so a few days ago I asked about this on Dell's website, but haven't received a reply yet. The computer is working fine without Rapid Storage Technology installed, but I'm wondering if I should have it installed, and if I should, what I could try to fix the problem.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Will777,

I am sorry hear you are having issues with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology driver.

Are you trying to set a RAID configuration on your machine? I would like to know if there is an specific reason to install this application, the Intel® RST is intended to monitor RAID configurations and disks status, is actually not necessary to install it.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
WConn1
Beginner

I'm not going to be setting up a RAID configuration on the computer.

After installing Windows, I went to Dell's website to see if any drivers needed updated. I ran their driver detect program, and it found the RST driver and also "Intel I2xx/825xx Gigabit Ethernet Network Controller Drivers". After installing the RST driver and the I2xx/825xx drivers, the 5 TB drive disappeared. I used a restore point to go back to before the drivers were updated, the drive reappeared. I then installed the I2xx/825xx drivers. The drive was still there. I installed the RST driver, the drive disappeared.

I was wondering if I needed the RST driver installed because on Dell's website it says that it's recommended that it be installed.

0 Kudos
WConn1
Beginner

With RST installed on my computer, the drive shows up in the BIOS, but Windows 10 can't see it. With RST installed the drive doesn't show up anywhere in Windows. Not in File Explorer, not in Optimize Drives, not in Device Manager, not in Disk Management...

I can understand that RST might not be able to detect the drive (I do wonder why it can't detect the drive, though), but why would installing RST prevent Windows from detecting the drive?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If you are thinking about setting a RAID configuration yes, then the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology will be necessary. Now, since you mentioned this is a Dell's driver and also mentioned that their website recommended it to be installed, I would recommend getting in contact with their support in order to check if it is actually necessary for your system. Once you get in contact with them mention the behavior with the 5 TB drive and the two drivers.

From my end, you can try the generic version of the website Intel® Rapid Storage Technology, if you are interested in installing find it here: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26865/eng/SetupRST.exe https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26865/eng/SetupRST.exe

Regarding your question, "I can understand that RST might not be able to detect the drive (I do wonder why it can't detect the drive, though), but why would installing RST prevent Windows from detecting the drive?"

Windows has its own SATA driver and the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology has its own SATA driver, once you install the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology it replaces the Windows driver. So, I am thinking that the disappearing behavior could be related to this change.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
WConn1
Beginner

I installed the generic version of RST that was in the link in your message, but had the same result - the 5 TB drive disappeared. I uninstalled RST and the drive reappeared.

Last week I asked about this in Dell's community forum, but nobody has answered yet. I may try contacting Dell support and see what they say. Since the computer is working well without RST installed, Dell support will probably tell me to leave it like it is and not to worry about RST...

Thank you for taking the time to try to help me.

0 Kudos