Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2045 Discussions

Drives missing from array -- but are present and recognized in machine

RalphORama
Beginner

My machine bluescreened earlier today, and afterwards my RAID array was marked as "failed" because two of the three hard drives were missing. I opened up the RST UI, and it appears the drives are present an recognized individually, but not as part of the array.

Is there any way I can recover this array or specify which disks to "look for?"

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello RDrak2, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. Keep in mind that, if 2 disks have failed in a RAID 5 there will not be a way of rebuilding the RAID. Now, I would like to know how your RAID looks so please attach a system report, you can check the link below for instructions on how to create one: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html Also, how do the disks show under disk management? Are you able to access the data in the Windows* explorer? Let me know please. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RalphORama
Beginner

Hello David,

All disks are present in Disk Management, but none show up in Windows Explorer. In the Intel RST user interface, the RAID array states the disks are "missing," but then shows the individual disks as "present." As far as I can tell, the issue is, somehow, a ":0" was appended to the serial numbers of two disks. While all three needed disks are present, the array is looking for disks with the incorrect serial numbers.

Here is the system report: https://pastebin.com/7zu3Aau2

As you can see in Disk Management, all three disks are present (Disk 2 == the array, Disks 3 and 5 == two "missing" disks).mmc_K6Z5AOCTdr.png

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello RDrak2, Thank you for your response. The RAID 0 volume appears as unallocated in the disk management, also, I am only able to see 2 of the 3 drives that were part of the RAID 0, a RAID 0 has no fault tolerance which means that, even if only one drive fails, the whole volume will be affected and the data will not be accessible. Refer to the following information: How do I recover a disconnected hard drive? 1 - Turn off the computer. 2 - Reconnect the hard drive. 3 - Turn on the computer. The option ROM automatically marks the RAID 0 volume as normal. 4 - How do I re-create a failed hard drive? This procedure deletes the failed RAID 0 volume and creates a RAID 0 volume. 1 - Turn off the computer. 2 - Replace the failed hard drive with a new hard drive of equal or greater capacity. 3 - Turn on the computer. When prompted during system startup, press Ctrl+I at the same time to enter the option ROM user interface. 4 - Click 2. Delete RAID Volume. 5 - Use the up or down arrow keys to select the failed RAID 0 volume. 6 - Press Delete to delete the volume. 7 - Press Y to confirm the deletion. 8 - Click 1. Create RAID Volume and follow the prompts to create a RAID 0 volume. 9 - Click 6. Exit. It's possible to recover the RAID 0, you will have to re-connect the drives and check under the Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology BIOS extension to see if they are automatically set as RAID 0 volume normal, you can access the BIOS extension by pressing Ctrl+I while you are booting into the system and the splash screen shows up where you can access the BIOS. If the previous combination of keys do not work then it is possible that the manufacturer of the motherboard changed the combination needed or the way you access the BIOS extension. If after checking the RAID still appears as failed then you will have to follow the second set of instructions written above, and the data will not be erased since the RAID is no longer accessible. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello RDrak2, Were you able to check my post? Let me know if you need any more assistance. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello RDrak2, Please contact us if you have any additional questions. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos