Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

Error when updating drivers in device manager "the system cannot find the file specified"

Nathanielharper
Beginner

Having an issue when trying to update my Intel(R) iCLS Client and Intel(R) Management Engine Interface #1 drivers. Get the error quoted above and only with these two drivers. Please elaborate. Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Nathanielharper

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Regarding this inquiry, we are not sure if you have an Intel® System (e.g. Intel® NUC or Intel® Server) or if you have a third-party computer.

We understand that you are trying to update the Intel® iCLS Client and Intel® Management Engine Interface drivers using the Windows® Update service through Windows® Device Manager.

Capability Licensing Service (CLS) is one of the features that the Intel® Management Engine has. The iCLS Client is the Intel® Trusted Connect Service Client and it is part of the Intel® Management Engine; and just for clarification purposes, those are not related to Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST).

Intel® Management Engine is customized based on how CPU, chipset, and motherboard are designed, therefore, it is highly recommended that users contact the computer manufacturer (OEM) to get the customized drivers. In the case this is regarding a third-party system, the recommendation is to download the Intel® Management Engine drivers from the system manufacturer’s support site. Visit Computer Manufacturer Support Websites for the list of support sites based on system manufacturers. Your OEM is also the best channel of support for inquiries or issues regarding these drivers.

For issues with Windows* Device Manager Update service, the recommendation is to address those concerns to Microsoft* Support.

However, if this inquiry is in regards to an Intel® NUC or Intel® Server and you still are interested in updating these drivers, please feel free to let us know and please provide the exact model of your Intel® System.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Nathanielharper
Beginner

Hello Andrew, first off, thank you for the prompt response. Second, I don't really know If I'm running an Intel NUC or Server system. I don't know if this will help but my system's chipset is an Intel Z490 Taichi chipset. (Motherboard model is ASRock Z490 taichi) Also, I apologize for putting this question in the wrong board. Anyways, I followed your advice and went to my motherboard's website (ASRock) and downloaded the driver. When I tried installing it, I got this error (screenshotted below). Does this error mean my system isn't compatible with this driver. Also, just checking, the iCLS feature is a part of the Management engine, does this mean the iCLS gets updated along with the Management Engine driver or am I wrong? Hope to talk to you soon. Nathaniel.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Nathanielharper

Thank you for your response. Sure, no problem.

Systems from different manufacturers may have built-in Intel® technology or Intel® components. Intel® does manufacture components for third-party motherboards like ASRock* motherboards with Intel® chipsets inside, but those manufacturers are the ones that design the system, decide on the different features that would be supported, and perform the integration of all components to offer a "final product".

In this scenario, your computer (ASRock* Z490 Taichi ) is what we call (from our perspective) a third-party system.

In regards to our question, yes, the iCLS feature is a part of the Management Engine and updates could be included as part of a driver for Intel® Management Engine.

Intel® may provide firmware to manufactures but it is their responsibility to customize the firmware and published their own customize drivers and software to match their specific platforms/products. It is supposed that their drivers and software are tested and validated to work on their own customized system. Also, it is their decision on how to provide those updates to the users; some manufactures may decide to provide all the updates packaged into one single driver/installer, for instance, through a BIOS update, or a Chipset driver, etc; or they may decide to provide separate updates/firmware installers.

We provide drivers and software/firmware only for Intel® systems (Intel NUCs, Intel® Servers, etc) so in this case, our recommendation is to address these concerns to your computer manufacturer (OEM) ASRock* so they can provide accurate information, guide you through the proper process to verify the required updates for your system, and confirm if a specific driver or firmware is compatible with your motherboard.

Also, since the driver you are trying to install is a customized driver from ASRock*, the recommendation is to check this error message with their support team. This is since we won't be aware of any change or customization done to this driver and in this scenario, they are the best channel of support. The general recommendation is for users to get the latest drivers from their OEM's website and to check with the OEM support team for any issues with the drivers. For your convenience, here is the link to ASRock* Support.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now from our end. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos