Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

HDD (D:) Disappeared After Using Intel RST

WWu21
Beginner

Hello,

I just updated my Windows 10 ASUS K501UX computer and used the Intel RST because it seemed like it would free up space on my computer so I said "Ok." Today, when I started up my computer, my entire D: drive has gone "missing" - I think it was combined with my C: drive, and I cannot seem to access my personal files! Is there a way to undo this action or to separate the drives to what they used to be?? Thank you in advance for any help!!

0 Kudos
25 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi WilliamW,

I understand you tried to free up some space on the disk and you ran the Intel® Rapid Storage, now you are not able to find the other drive with personal information. Let me help you on this matter.

If you are saying that one of the drives are missing, this means that it might have created a RAID array on the computer. I would like to know exactly the current status of RAID array that was created.

Try the following steps to check the array status.

1. Open Intel® Rapid Storage software

2. Please send a screenshot the status screen, just like the attached picture.

Regards,

Allan J
0 Kudos
WWu21
Beginner

Hello Allan,

I really hope that you can help me. Most of my files were on my HDD because it is 1TB and now I cannot locate them....furthermore, on "This PC", it shows my total amount of storage as 120 GB whereas before it had that IN ADDITION to my 1TB HDD.

I hope to hear from you soon,

William

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi WilliamW,

Thank you for the image.

I was afraid to see a RAID 0 on your computer configuration, to be honest, this type of array does not help to recover the information. The problem is that since this is a RAID 0 the information is stored as striped on the drives and uses the smaller drive to combine data. The combination of the drives for RAID 0 is 238GB

Please bear in mind that Intel® Rapid Storage helps to increase performance or backup the information. See more information at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/rapid-storage-technology.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/rapid-storage-technology.html

I regret to inform you that you will need to reset drives to Non-Raid and reinstall the operating system.

1. Enter RAID BIOS to reset the driver, you may need to check with your computer manufacturer and look for instructions on this matter.

2. Reinstall the operating system. This is because you will break the array and no information will be available to boot the system.

In case you need more assistance or if you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us back.

Allan J
0 Kudos
WWu21
Beginner

Hi Allan,

Does this mean that there is no way for me to recover any information? Essentially, does this mean that I will need to reformat my entire laptop? If so, I am incredibly disappointed by this news, as you can imagine, and am appalled that Intel did not issue even a warning of this possibility before popping up and suggesting it to me. I simply updated my computer and then Intel RST popped up immediately, making it appear to be important and necessary. This was deceiving and I am extremely frustrated. Please let me know if there is ANY way to "undo" the action of striping data or of recovering data.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi WilliamW,

Since RAID 0 does not offer redundancy, you will need to reinstall the operating system and reset your drives to Non-Raid, this will erase all data from your computer.

If you need to recover any data, perhaps, taking the computer to a data recovery company can help you with your information.

Again, Intel® Rapid Storage is not a software to free up space, this is to create backups or performance.

Regards,

Allan J.

0 Kudos
JSwar1
Beginner

Honestly I am livid. I bought a new 2TB hard drive for someone who had just built their first computer and I instructed them to go to disk utility to set it up. They saw your ridiculous program pop up like all these poor people did and now they lost tons of data, irreplacable things and probably a lot of money are lost because of this horrible design. This has been an issue for months, why is this still happening? I'm so happy that I switched from Intel to AMD after seeing this idiotic trap you set for people. Release a fix for this yesterday. Where are your engineers and why in the arent they releasing a quick formatting tool for the individual drives? Why are you FORCING us to change the drive type which also messes up the boot disk and requires a full reinstall of the operating system?!

EDITED FOR LANGUAGE CONTENT

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

First, use of inappropriate language is forbidden.

Second, valuable/irreplaceable data should ALWAYS have a backup.

Sounds like you did not do enough planning.

Doc

p.s. I am not an Intel employee or contractor.

0 Kudos
WHeyl
Beginner

I don't get it, so his and my data are all gone cause of this??

0 Kudos
kesca
Beginner

Hi.

I have the same problem. I used the RST for the first time and my 1TB HDD is missing. can you help me please.
0 Kudos
kesca
Beginner

also here is the result i got from System Support Utility.

Hoping for your assistance. Thank you
0 Kudos
sdals
Beginner

Hello i am sahil and i baught acer predator helious today and in intel rapid storage i tried to do something with 1 tb hdd and it disappeared and now there is no rebuild options... What should i do??

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello s_dalsania

Thank you for joining this community.

In order for me to assist you better, please provide me with the .txt file that the System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

As well, can you please provide us with the Intel (r) RST version that you are currently running?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello s_dalsania,

We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.

Please do not hesitate on contacting us back.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
MArsi
Beginner

Hi, I have the same proble, but on my computer is "Type: Recovery"

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Marjan.A,

Thank you for joining this community.

As shared before please provide us with the Intel (r) RST version that you are currently running.

We will need as well the .txt file that the System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
MArsi
Beginner

Hi,

Intel RST 16.0.1.1018

Tnx Marjan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Marjan.A and iamken_E,

Thank you for contacting our support; it will be more than a pleasure to assist you.

In this case, based on both of your reports and the screenshots attached, we can clearly see a recovery partition of 119 GB on both Asus Systems; which is causing the storage units to disappear.

In order to get the issue fixed without losing any data (since the system created a recovery partition), you will need to reset your drives to Non-Raid .

You will need to enter RAID BIOS to reset the driver, you may need to check with your computer manufacturer and look for instructions on this matter since most of the Acer* computers on the market are locked for this feature.

Here's Acer's* support link:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

I hope this helps

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Marjan.A and iamken_E

We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.

Please don't hesitate on contacting us back.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
GTsog
Beginner

Hi there,

i have also the same Problem just like Marjan.A and iamken_E. The Intel Rapid Storage Technology asked to do something after every start up. I thought it was some kind of update and did it. And after that i cant find my D-Storage. Therefore i want to ask you how to enter BIOS to reset the driver and reset the drives to Non-Raid. Please explain it to step by step (if there is any video, its for me better), cause in D-Storage there are very important datas, which i dont want to delete. If i search it from google there are many methods. But i dont know, which one is the right to reset my D back without delete the datas. I would be very happy to receive your detailed answer.

Best regards

Gansukh Tsogt

0 Kudos
JJame10
Beginner

Hi, i just had the same problem

I think you people should at least create a pop-up window when we try to create a volume. Losing tons of important data and time because of something like this isnt going to work, Intel