Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

HDD turned into recovery disk

IQmain
Beginner

So I've just upgraded my SSD in my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52 series. I cloned my C drive to my internal SATA HDD using Macrium Reflect. I then replaced the SSD, again using Macrium to send my C drive data on to the new SSD, but now my internal HDD is not displayed anywhere, except the BIOS and Intel RST. It cannot be found in disk management or diskpart through cmd.

Intel RST states that the HDD is used as a recovery disk. Can I use the disk as normal storage again? Is it dead and should I buy a new one? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Try to boot from Windows Installation USB into Advanced Menu. Open Command Prompt and now check in DiskPart if you can see the HDD.   or

2. If you have one, try to connect the HDD using external USB to SATA Adapter and then format it.

Leon

View solution in original post

5 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Can you see your HDD in Macrium Reflect? If yes, using Macrium Reflect, change the HDD letter to other than C:.

Leon

IQmain
Beginner

No. I can't seem to be able to see the HDD in Macrium. Only the SSD is shown

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Try to boot from Windows Installation USB into Advanced Menu. Open Command Prompt and now check in DiskPart if you can see the HDD.   or

2. If you have one, try to connect the HDD using external USB to SATA Adapter and then format it.

Leon

IQmain
Beginner
So I found my adapter and yes, it displayed in disk management! It said the disk was offline due to collision with another disk or something along those lines, and all I had to do was right click and set to online and bam, works internally now.
Appreciate it!
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

With the HDD turned into a Recovery Disk (i.e., the second drive of a RAID1 array), you are only going to see the logical drive that has been implemented in the RAID1 array. You need to delete the array and return both drives to non-RAID status. I typically do this from either the BIOS or from an OpROM (i.e. which you invoke using a special keystroke during BIOS POST). There is also supposed to be a capability from the Intel Memory and Storage tool, but I have never used it.

Sadly, the contents of this HDD are already destroyed. The contents of the SSD should remain intact but, if I understand correctly, you really want to clone it from your old SSD.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos