Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Hibernation fails with latest Intel RST driver

WD81
Beginner

I got a HP notebook with a 512GB Intel® Optane Memory H10 with Solid State Storage drive. Before upgrading to Windows 2004 or 20H1 everything was fine, except one thing: Windows was unable to create crash dump files if the Optane module was on. But I lived with this, because there were no BSOD's and there was no need to create crash dump files.

Since upgrading first to Windows 10 2004, and later to 20H1 the computer started to crash while it was trying to hibernate. No other times, only when it started the hibernation process. If the lid of the computer was open, then the display went black, but after a few second the display turned back on and showed the login page. If I logged in, there was only one error in the system Event Log from volmgr source, event id 45: "The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver". There's no third party encryption software on the computer. This error does not occur at every hibernation, only after the 3rd or 4th. In this case if I restart the computer the cycle restarts and the first few time the hibernation completes.

If I don't restart the computer after this error, then after a few minutes it crashes and restarts by it's self and generates a minidump with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE in ntkrnlmp.exe.

If I revert the driver of the Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller and the Intel RST Managed Storage Controller back to Microsoft's own driver then everything works fine, no sign of the error, but in this case I need to disable the Opatne module.

I read in the release notes of the 18.0.1.1138 version of the Intel driver (https://downloadmirror.intel.com/29978/eng/Release_Notes_18_0_1_1138.pdf), that this was a known bug (ID: 1307410586, "Intermittent BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
observed during S4"), so I installed this driver, but the error still exists: occasionally the hibernation fails.

What can I do? I can live with Microsoft's driver, but this way I loose the opportunity to use the Optane module. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Victor_G_Intel

Hello WD81,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To better assist you please provide the following reports and information to continue with your support.

-Please run the following tool and attach the report generated.  

-Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)

Download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

•          Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information

•          By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  

•          Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

•          To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

- Please use the instructions in the link below and attach the report generated by your Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) to your next response.

System Reports for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

- Did you try with our drivers only or with HP drivers as well?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician 

0 Kudos
WD81
Beginner

Hi Victor,

Thank you for your reply. I attached the output of the SSU, but I don't have the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology application installed. I only got the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management app, since it replaced the Intel RST app a while ago.

And about the drivers: HP provided a driver with version number 17.5.2.1024, and this is the latest for my computer. I upgraded this version to 18.30.1.1138, which I downloaded from Intel's downloadcenter.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello WD81,

In this case, based on the information you have provided, we need to inform you that the driver version 18.0.1.1138 that you have installed is not compatible with your laptop’s chipset, and unfortunately, there is a warning message that pops up once you’re about to install this driver, the message lets the user know that once installed the driver cannot be uninstalled, since it will become part of the operating system.

Based on your current situation the options that you have available are the following:

• Stay with this configuration and with the unforeseen issues that might come with it.

• Complete a clean installation of the operating system and stick with the drivers from HP once the computer is restored and updated.

• Reset the computer to factory settings

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
WD81
Beginner

Hi Victor,

Unfortunately, no good news. Now I'm in state of the first suggestion and the crashes are coming at least once a day.

If I reset the computer it will revert to Windows 10 version 1909, the problem will be gone, but sooner or later I have to update Windows, so the problem will surface again.

If I do a clean install now, the Windows will stay on the current version (20H2), the driver will revert to 17.5.2.1024 and the problem will be the same.

Is there any way to turn on some logging in the driver to see what is happening when Windows crashing?

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello WD81,

Please allow us to do further research on our end in regards to your situation, and we will update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello WD81,

Can you please provide a screenshot from your system’s Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management console? Attached to this message you will find an example of the screenshot we need

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
WD81
Beginner

Hi Victor!

I attached the screenshot. If you need screenshots from the other pages of the console, then please let me know$

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello WD81,

We appreciate the image you provided, if we need anything else we will let you know, and we will update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello WD81,

Based on our research in order for you to determine if the hibernation issues are happening because of the incompatibility problem with the new driver version what you can do is the following:

• Complete a clean installation of the operating system

• Install version 17.9.1.1009

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29647/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Driver-Installation-Software-with-Intel-Optane-Memory

• If any issues persist please get a Raid report out of your system and attach it to your next response.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html 

*Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).

Important note: We were able to complete a test on our end with version 18.0.1.1138 and we did not experience any hibernation issues; however, we believe this might be happening because of the incompatibility with the driver that is causing these unforeseen issues to happen.

Regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos
WD81
Beginner

Hi Victor,

I'm already doing the testing with the 17.9.1.1009 driver, but no luck so far.

I tried to create the raid report, but there's no Intel Rapid Storage Technology program in the Start Menu / Programs / Intel folder. I only have the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management software. Where can I download the mentioned software?

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello WD81,

Please allow us some more time to investigate this, and we will reach you back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello WD81,

For now, please forget about the report, we would like to request the following information from you to continue:

1. Have you tried a different power plan from Control Panel> power options in Windows?
  2. Is there any way that you can provide pictures or a video of the issue?
  3. What happens when you uninstall RST? Does the problem disappear, or does it persist even after the software is uninstalled?
  4. We would like to know if there have been any changes done to your system recently before the issue started?
  5. Did you notice this issue with previous RST versions? If so, what versions did you experienced it with, besides of course the latest one?
  6. Are you having this as a personal issue only affecting your laptop or is it a company’s issue affecting multiple computers?

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
WD81
Beginner

Hi Victor!

The answers, not in the original order:

1. No, I only got one, default power plan in power options, which is the balanced. Only a few options are available in this plan, like sleep after X minutes, or hibernate after x minutes, I think HP disabled other options.

2. Unfortunately, no, or I don't know yet how could I film what's happening. I close down the lid of the computer and wait for the hibernation timeout, at the timeout the notebooks power led turn on, like any other time when it starts to hibernate, but it never goes off. If I open the lid, the display turns on, and the computer is not hibernated and I can login.

The other way to initiate the problem is to start the hibernation manually with the shutdown -h command. In this case the display turns off, the keyboards background light turns of, but the power led never turns off. If I touch the touchpad or press a button on the keyboard the computer turns back on, since it's not hibernated.

3. If I do a complete clean install with HP's recovery tool, then the computer gets back to the original state with Windows 10 ver. 1909 and Intel RST driver version 17.5.2.1024. In this case everything works normally unit I upgrade the Windows to a newer version (2004 or 20H2). After the upgrade the problem comes back. The only way to work around is disabling the Intel Optane modul and set the driver for the Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium controller and Intel RST Managed Storage Controller back to Microsoft's driver, which is really old. Using Microsoft's driver the hibernation works like a charm, but in this case I can't use the Optane modul.

4. As I wrote, I upgraded to Windows 10 ver. 20H2. If I go back to Windows 10 ver. 1909 the problem is gone.

5. No, until the upgrade of Windows there was only one version of the RST driver, 17.5.2.1024.

6. I have access to another computer like mine, but it does not have the Optane module. In this other computer the device uses Microsoft default storage driver, so the problem does not exists.

Edit: one more thing to number 2. If the hibernation fails and the event log logs the volmgr error, then Windows does not go into a sleep state, it keeps running, even if the lid of the notebook is closed. After a few minutes it crashes again, reboots, creates the dump file and after the time set for hibernation times out it goes into hibernation without a problem. If you need the Windows dump files I can upload one, or more of them.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello WD81,

We appreciate the information you provided and we would like to recommend that you test this issue with a different power plan to see if the hibernation persists, we understand that you don’t have many options to choose from when the power plan is selected, and that is most likely like you mentioned, due to the laptop customizations preventing users to manipulate the settings more than they should; nonetheless, the default settings on each plan should be enough to let you test the hibernation issue.

The plans that you should be able to choose from regardless of any customization are either Power Saver or High Performance, you have already tested balanced so please test these two out and we will be investigating a little bit more about this issue with the information you provided, we will update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
WD81
Beginner

Hi Victor,

I have exactly one options in Power Option, which is the "Balanced". I attached screenshots from power options, and the detailed options from the balanced power plan. These are all the options that I can change. I can create a new power plan for testing but it will be based on the balanced.

And I got one more software, called HP Command Center, screenshot also attached. I can change "power like settings" here, so I can test these profiles. I use the HP recommended, but now I changed to comfort.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello WD81,

We appreciate the information and the images provided, please allow us some more time to investigate this, and we will reach you back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
WD81
Beginner

Thank you Victor!

Updates on my side: I checked the event logs again, and because the last information logs was about a "HP Comm Recovery" service, I looked in to this software and disabled it. Now it does not try to restart any of the network interfaces if there's a problem with them.

Everything was good for more than a day - which is good, because before disabling this services, the original problem occurred almost in every 24 hours. But today the computer crashed again. I attached two screenshots. One is from the event log and it says that a device is draining the power, based on the ID-s it's the Intel Wireless Bluetooth adapter. The other one is from the sleep study report which confirms that the Intel Wireless Bluetooth is draining the battery.

I don't know how the two problem is connected and don't why this does not happen if I use Microsoft's NVMe drivers.

Edit: One more thing. Now I updated the bluetooth drivers to the latest version (22.30.0.4).

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello WD81,

Based on our investigation the RST version that you should be able to use and that we haven’t had any reports of hibernation issues with is version 17.9; nonetheless, if the problem goes away as you mention by using the 1909 build with the RST driver version 17.5.2.1024 we believe that your unit has been customized by the OEM(Original Equipment Manufacturer/ HP) to work with that version.

In any case, we do not have reports of this issue being caused by the RST software; therefore, you should be able to discuss this further with HP's support.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos