Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

How do I delete/revert a recovery volume ??

ARich19
Novice

Hello, 

I am a beginner with this software. I added a HDD 1TB to my laptop and by mistake (not knowing what I was doing at the moment) I created a Recovery Volume with the Intel Rapid Storage Technology. 

I wanted to increase my storage capacity of my laptop , I already have a 128 GB SSD and wanted to add the 1TB HDD.

But with the Recovery Volume I only have a 120 GB space available. 

How can I revert the process ? So that I can use the 1GB of my new HDD...

In the device manager : I only see a "Intel Recovery Volume"... 

I will answer to your futurs questions as quick as possible, 

Thanks you in advance to anyone helping, 

Anthony

9 Replies
TCsor
Beginner

same problem here, pls someone help

I wonder if it is a solution to uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

From the Intel RST app, you should be able to click on the graphic for the 1TB drive and, in the resulting display, choose to remove this drive from the "SATA Array". If this doesn't work, go into the Manage tab and do it from there.

Frankly, if you have no need for Intel RST -- that is, no use for RAID or Optane Caching -- then you should uninstall it. Aside from these capabilities, Intel RST offers nothing. Once upon a time, the Intel RST Storage Driver was slightly better performing that the Microsoft Storage Driver, but things are pretty much a wash these days.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
ARich19
Novice

Thank you for your reply,

There isn't any "Remove" option...

Considering the uninstall option : I was afraid that I would lose my Data on my SSD in the process.

Could you confirm me that I risk nothing when uninstalling it ?

Thanks again,

Anthony

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, no guarantee of that. Always back up your drive before any operation.

A​nother option for removal is via the Intel RST BIOS Extension. This is invoked via CTRL-i during BIOS POST or via selection in UEFI-enabled BIOS Setup (sorry, can't describe it any better since implementation varies from one vendor's BIOS to another's).

...S

0 Kudos
ARich19
Novice

Thank you for your time,

Have a nice day.

0 Kudos
TCsor
Beginner

Hi,

I have spent about 6 hours yesterday trying to solve this issue and I was so mad at myself for messing it up in the first place.

Here is what I did:

1. Open Intel Rapid Storage Tehnology app.
  2. On the right side there is a sidebar with Storage System View written at the top. Below you can see your SSD and HDD (if you have 1TB HDD you will see it as 932GB or something like that)
  3. click on the HDD then select Manage at the top
  4. A list will appear, where next to Status you can click on Show Files.

If you are lucky, and could manage to remove the disk from the array, you should see the driver appear in File Explorer\This PC.

From now you have two options:

1. In order to be able to use it again as a normal driver you must format the disk. All your files will be deleted if you do it this way!
  2. Or you can go to a professional and I think they can probably restore your data, but if you do, you should not format the disk as it will erase everything.

I am not a professional at all but if you cannot find the driver you can make it appear using diskpart commands, here is a video which can help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTiHQNBNrYw&t=48s

To be honest I had absolutely no idea before about diskpart commands, even now I am not sure, but I spent almost a day watching videos about it and in the end I could manage to make it right.

A lot of forums and videos suggested to go to Disk Management but it didn't work with this kind of issue, here is a video about it anyway, maybe you will find it helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsWoaVZtdkw

I hope I could help, wish you luck

0 Kudos
ARich19
Novice

Thank you for your reply,

"Here is what I did:

1. Open Intel Rapid Storage Technology app.
  2. On the right side there is a sidebar with Storage System View written at the top. Below you can see your SSD and HDD (if you have 1TB HDD you will see it as 932GB or something like that)
  3. click on the HDD then select Manage at the top
  4. A list will appear, where next to Status you can click on Show Files.

If you are lucky, and could manage to remove the disk from the array, you should see the driver appear in File Explorer\This PC.

"

I had the same path as you, looking for it for 3-4 hours straight. And I found the same thing, however once I see my disk in the File Explorer and on the File Management : I couldn't format it...

The disk is on "Read-only mode" : I tried to change it manually using "diskpart" commands but as I am writing this you can understand it didn't work...

Right now I bought another HDD and keeping the first one for a future computer.

Thank you for your help, but this time Intel won the battle against me...

Anthony

0 Kudos
TCsor
Beginner

What command did you use?

0 Kudos
ARich19
Novice

I used : "attributes disk clear readonly"

0 Kudos