Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

How to Make an SRT Setup work again on Windows10?

nicecab
Beginner

Hi Experts, need your advice on the subject.

I was using an SRT setup which used a 29GB Optane memory as SSD cache drive on top of a RAID1 HDD array on Windows 10.

As the space on the volume on the array was running out , I decided to replace these HDDs with larger HDDs.

I am going to skip the actual procedure for enlarging but I basically follow the instructions written in Article 000005837.

Though the article does not mention about SRT at all I also disabled the SRT setup as a part of the enlargement.

After the successful enlargement of one of ex-RAID volumes, I rebooted the Windows and launch IRST, I had found that there are no 'Accelarate' tab on the IRST panel which suggests I am no longer able to configure SRT...

As I mentioned at first, I was surely using the SRT setup on Windows 10 but I believe the setup was made BEFORE I upgraded the OS to Windows 10 (i.e. when I was using Windows 7).

Taking account the fact that I never updated the RST driver to newer version (I am still using 15.9) to date, I am thinking that IRST app does not allow you to set up an RST on Windows 10 on purpose.

Anyway, if anyone know how to enable SRT again on Windows 10, I would appreciate if you could share the info.

*I know Optane acceleration is also available for a data drive but you cannot do this against an RAID-array as a drive to be accelerated must be a single, non-RAID HDD unlike SRT. SRT IS still very useful to boost performance on an HDD-based RAID array which gives you large disk space and redundancy.. I am too shy to use HDDs without having RAID array(s) configured ;)

<Some Machine Info>

M/B: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (BIOS Ver. 1003)

RST Driver Version:15.9.0.1015

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This has nothing to do with Windows 10. Quite simply, if your BIOS has support for Optane, then it does not have support for SRT. These capabilities are mutually exclusive; Optane support replaced SRT support.

Yea, I know, it sucks. I still use SRT - but only on my older systems. 😔

...S

0 Kudos
nicecab
Beginner

Thanks for the comment. Well, my BIOS setup for M2/ SATA strorage has never been changed. I have 'Intel RST Premium With Intel Optane System Acceleration(RAID)' enabled, and have also 'PCIE Storage RAID Support(or RST PCIE storage remapping) enabled for both of the M2 storage devices -- one is an NVMe SSD for a boot drive and the other one is for Optane memory --. I WAS surely able to configure either Optane accelaration or an SRT cached SATA HDD RAID array using the Optane memory as an SSD cache drive.  As I stated, this SRT configuration had been working fine on Windows 10 until I broke up the RAID1 array for the capacity enlargement.  

Again, the problem I am facing is I am no longer able to configure an SRT because the RST app or the RST option ROM no longer gives me an option(menu) for SRT configuration while (at least) the RST app used to give the menu in the past..

0 Kudos
nicecab
Beginner

I forgot to mention that I have of course CSM disabled as well. ;)

0 Kudos