Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

How to fix my RAID configuration after upgrading to Windows 10 1703?

JCoyl
Beginner

I have a feeling that after I explain what happened to my system after it was upgraded to Windows 10 Creators version 1703, you will not believe me.

Prior to the upgrade I was on the previous Windows 10 build (The build before Creators). My system was configured with RAID 10 with four 2T drives. I also have another 1T drive used as storage that was not in the RAID array. The upgrade to Creators happened automatically and I had not used my desktop since the upgrade because I have a laptop I use more. I went to use my desktop and noticed the computer did not boot and had the following error "Boot Manager Status 0x000000f, boot selecting failed". I won't bore you with the attempts I made to repair Windows. I booted into the RAID controller and it said my raid was healthy and not degraded or needed to be rebuild. After shutting down I unplugged one of the raid drives and as expected the raid became degraded and needed to be rebuilt. I was going to use my mini partition tool to check on the drives and I noticed the boot options showed two devices with the word RAID in the name. One was the 4 drive array and the other was my storage drive. I decided to select what I thought was the storage drive and the computer booted up and went through the steps to complete the upgrade to Creators build. The Intel Rapid Storage driver did not load. I checked my installed programs and it was listed as installed. I then discovered that there was a new version that I downloaded and installed. I started up Intel Rapid Storage software and it showed that the 4 drive array was configured as RAID 1 (Not RAID 10 like it had been previously) and my boot drive was not part of the RAID. I inspected each drive by clicking on it and noticed that my boot drive was on port 4 of the motherboard and the RAID array with the 4 drives where using ports 0, 1, 2 and 3. When I used file explorer and looked at drive C:\ it showed my storage data and drive G:\ was my OS.

As I was writing this post the Intel Rapid Storage software was rebuilding the RAID array. I just checked and the RAID now is RAID 10 and my drive letters are back to normal. Drive C:\ is now my OS and Drive G:\ is now my storage device. I have not rebooted after the rebuild so I will do that next to see if the boot order is correct. I will update this post once I reboot. I have included my system information below. After looking at the raid setup I was mistaken. It shows that my System drive is not part of the raid (See Image Below). I also checked "Disk Management" and noticed that my G:\ drive is showing that half of the drive is unallocated (See Image Below). I could be going crazy and do not remember that I only did a RAID 10 for storage but I thought I had done it the other way around and included my OS as part of the RAID. It is my option that the upgrade to Windows 10 Creator somehow swapped the data around. I would have not left the storage drive with 50% unallocated.

Is there any way that I can switched this back around to having the OS as part of the RAID and my storage drive not in the raid?

My question would is, how do I get my system drive back into the RAID 10

SYSTEM INFORMATIONComputer ManufacturerASUSTeK Computer INC.Computer ModelP7P55D-E LXOperating System (O/S)Microsoft Windows 10 (build 15063), 64-bitOperating System Build (O/S)15063Operating System (version)10.0.15063O/S Language0409System RAM16 GB.NET Framework Version4.6.2CD or DVD DeviceHL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H54N ATA DeviceSystem Hard Drive OverviewSystem Total Storage Size:2.7 TBCD or DVD DeviceSONY CD-RW CRX230ED ATA DevicePhysical Drive1ModelST2000DM001-1CH164Bus TypeRAIDPhysical Drive0ModelRaid 1 VolumeBus TypeRAID<td style="padding: 0 ...
0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello JoeCoyle,

My apologies for the inconvenience.

I would like to share with you that unfortunately, the Intel® P55 Express Chipset included within your motherboard does not support Windows® 10. The Intel® Rapid Storage Technology versions from our end that support his operating system do not support your chipset model. My recommendation in this case is to start from scratch but installing fully supported operating system which can be Windows 7, here; https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7P55DE_LX/HelpDesk_Download/ https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7P55DE_LX/HelpDesk_Download/ you will be able to find all the drivers for your motherboard model.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
JCoyl
Beginner

Amy,

You have to be kidding me.....I been running Windows 10 for a year now on this motherboard without any issues. I have also been running The Intel Rapid Storage Technology for a year as well. I have never had any issues with the RAID 10 until my system was upgraded to the latest Creators build. I am not going back to Windows 7.

This unacceptable.

I am going to move my storage files over to my system drive and then break and recreate a RAID 10 using my system drive for the data for the array. Once the array has been rebuilt, I will copy my storage files back to the 1TB storage drive.

Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/114646 JoeCoyle, I definitely understand.

Installing this operating system shouldn't be an issue, the thing is drivers and also the support since it is not supported driver availability becomes null and troubleshooting it will be limited and not to mention that anything can happen while doing it. The fact that your chipset does not support Windows® 10 had to be mentioned, and my apologies if that caused an inconvenient.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos