Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

How to move a HDD RAID 1 Volume to SSD?

al91
Beginner

Hello

I have a Dell precision 1600 running Win 10 1909.

Equipped with 2 seagate HDD 2x1TB connected in Raid 1. (RST 17.7.0.1006)

I want to replace the 2 HDDs by 2 Samsung 1TB SSDs without losing present data.

For the moment, I have just cloned the content of the Raid drives on one of the SSDs.

Could you please help me for the following actions?

Regards

0 Kudos
12 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If these are M.2 NVMe SSDs that are being RAIDed (there I go, inventing words again), I would set up the array and then transfer the data from the other array. Actually, I would always do it this way unless I didn't have the SATA ports to connect the new SSDs to. I would not rely on the contents of that SSD not being lost during the array setup. Always have a backup -- and always have an offline (and hopefully off-premises) backup.

...S

0 Kudos
al91
Beginner

Hello and thanks for your answer.

My SSDs are 2.5 inch cases with sata connexions (samsung V-Nand SSD 860 QVO)

I can connect them in internal on 2 avilable sata ports but what next?

My computer will probably detect them as separate disks!

Please, can you detail the operations to accomplish both in Bios and Intel RST?

Best regards.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Correct; if you connect these drives to SATA ports, they will be separate drives. What you then do is create an array across these disks. Once array is created, you treat it as a single drive in Windows, creating and formatting partition(s) and copying files there.

As I said, the safest process is as follows:

1. Install drives into box and connect via SATA ports.
  2. Power on and go into BIOS Setup.
  3. Navigate to their RST support scene.
  4. [Aside: the old array should be visible there.]
  5. Create an array on the two new drives. This can be RAID0 if want one big drive or RAID1 if you want main and backup drives.
  6. Once created, exit BIOS Setup and boot to Windows.
  7. Open Disk Manager (right-click on Windows Start button and select the Disk Management Entry).
  8. Disk Manager should automatically ask you for permission to initialize the array (it will call it a disk). Allow it to do so.
  9. Use Disk Manager to create at least one partition on the array.
  10. Format this partition as an NTFS volume. This will assign it a drive letter (you can also choose what letter is used).
  11. Exit Disk Manager.
  12. Now can copy all files from old array into new array.
  13. If you are going to keep the old array, you are done. Remainder of instructions are for if you want to remove the old array
  14. Reboot and go into BIOS Setup.
  15. Navigate to the RST support scene.
  16. Delete the old array.
  17. Exit BIOS Setup.
  18. Shutdown and remove the old drives from the PC.

Does that make sense?

...S

0 Kudos
al91
Beginner
Many many thanks for all these details but as I am a relatively "Newbee", I need some additional advice on the very first steps to accomplish in view of my present configuration. For the moment, I know about 3 places where RAID can be modified. 1- in the bios where I have a choice between Raid on (activated), AHCI, ATA, and Disabled  on page "system configuration", chapter "Sata Operation"         by the way, in chapter "drives", I see that I Indeed have 4 SATA connections. 2- During boot, if I type Ctrl+i I get into a RST menu with 5 choices:         "Create raid volume", "Delete Raid volume", "Reset disks to non-raid", Recovery volume options" which is greyed and last is "Exit".  Underneath are details on "Disk/volume Information" 3- The RST screens through Windows. Now my first question, how can I create a second raid 1 when the "old one" is still active? I suppose it is via Number 2 and I should leave Nr 1 as it is. Seems I don't have to go in RST IAStoreUI in Windows except for checking. If I have 2 raid1 arrays, how will they show up in Bios and Nr 2 Bios RST? Last question about copying old array to the new one, how would you manage that as simple copying is probably not enough as I need to boot on them later on. I have quite a list of cloning managers but they often hang up. Of course the option to align SSDs should be ON but what about the track to track copy option? Sorry to be so "inquisitive with the details" but the subject is naturally of importance ! Best regards ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Le 30/04/2020 à 01:06, Intel Forums a écrit :
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, if you do not have enough SATA ports to host the drivers for both the old array and the new array, then you are going to have to back up your files to secondary storage and then restore them onto the new array. If you have enough ports for all of the drives, then a copy in place is possible. Yes, you *can* have multiple arrays on a system. Each will show up with the unique name that you assigned to the arrays when you created them.

Understand that I am talking about data files. You are going to have to reinstall Windows regardless; I have never seen any cloning tools that support RST RAID. As far as I know, you cannot do image backup and restore from/to RAID arrays (especially not using the track-to-track method).

...S

0 Kudos
al91
Beginner
I plan to disconnect a 2 TB data only HDD and the DVD reader in order to connect the new array on the free ports. Will try this next week and will keep you informed. Much luck on this 1st of May regards AF +++++++++++++++++++++++++ Le 01/05/2020 à 02:21, Intel Forums a écrit :
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Let us know how it goes...

...S

0 Kudos
al91
Beginner

hello

before I start working on this case and if I had to temporaly leave the RAID config, must I act through Bios or Ctrl+i RST menu or both? And If I change the bios setting, should I chose AHCI or ATA (see above section1)?

Thanks in advance and have a nice Week.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You mean withdraw drives from an array? I always do this from the CTRL-I menu.

If you want to turn off RST, change the setting from RAID to AHCI. Never use the ATA setting, even on these older systems.

...S

0 Kudos
al91
Beginner

Hello

I havn't done the job yet for life is indeed a little bit complcated for everybody right now.

For the moment, the raid1 array and an additionnal 2TB data disk are MBR and Bios settings is Legacy.

It seems there is an interest to move to UEFI bios and GPT pattern on all disks.

I plan to use pro version of Aomei partition assistant 5.8.

I have also found the information that you run the mod from MBR to GPT and change bios settins after

Question1- Can I select the array to change MBR to GPT or should I do it separatly on each drive?

Question 2- Should I begin by this modification, or wait till I have changed the drives from HDD to SSD?

Best Regards

AF

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
  1. You do it to the array. Remember that, at the interface level, each array is considered to be a (logical) drive.
  2. It is probably better to do it beforehand - but make sure you have a backup before you try. Now, my only experience has only been with the Microsoft tool and not within a RAID array, so you are on your own if you plan on using some other tool.

...S

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello al91,

To convert MBR to GPT, you may need to use tools available in Windows* or 3rd-party tools. Our recommendation is that you contact Microsoft* to know how to convert a RAID volume or disk to GPT.

Hopefully, fellow community members may have the knowledge to jump in and help.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos