Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

How to upgrade a running RSTapp to the next release

ADijk1
Beginner

Currently Intel Rapid Storage Technology 14.8.0.1042 is installed in my Windows 10 (X64) system.

It seems a good idea to check for old drivers now and then and update these with the newest releases.

Running SnailDriver several drivers where found to be updated. I performed the updates and, after a rstart, everything looked OK.

However, the IRST app couldn't be started anymore, so I restored the situation from before the updates, which worked well.

I checked Intel downloads and found a newer release for the software, i.e. 15.2.0.1020.

I think, best would be to use that to update for the newest drivers in that respect, to avoid problems after using a tool like SnailDriver.

Now, the downloaded software consists of zipped f6flpy-x64 and setuprst maps and an exec setuprst.exe.

My questions are:

1. Should I uninstall the current 14.8.0.1042 RST software first or can I just install the new 15.2.0.1020, thus updating RST directly.
  2. What to use: setuprst.exe, which hopefully takes care of all, or unzip the other files first and then do what? Or a combination of..
0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello AndreasEE,

Thank you for joining the Rapid Storage Technology community.

Before answering your two questions I would like to know your chipset model, this way we can confirm if your computer supports the latest version. In case you have confirmed that it is supported, I recommend uninstalling the current one first and then proceed with the installation of version 15.2.0, below you will find some steps on how to uninstall it. Regarding your second question, the Intel® RST can only be install using the .exe, sometimes you will a .zip version but it contains the .exe inside.

Instructions to uninstall the Intel® RST;

Open the Add/Remove Programs window

Find the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology.

Right click Intel® Rapid Storage Technology driver and select Uninstall.

Follow the prompts stated by the Intel Installation Framework window to complete the process.

Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
ADijk1
Beginner

Thanks Amy, for your kind response.

The IDE/ATAPI-controllers entry in the Device Manager indicates: Intel(R) 6th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI Controller. Current version: 14.8.7.1051

I guess this is the answer to your chipset question?

Generally, to update drivers a tool like SnailDriver or DriverBooster isn't perhaps the best way to update Intel Drivers.

Better use Intel Driver Update Utility Installer?

Regards,

André

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the information.

Based on the supported platforms, see below. Your systems should be compatible with version 15.02, so now try following the suggestions mentioned before and let me know how it goes.

For Intel® drivers, I recommend the manual installation. With the manual installation you will doing the process, so this you will be making sure that no steps are missed during the process of the installation.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
ADijk1
Beginner

Thanks again Amy for your support.

1. I updated all drivers suggested by the Intel Driver Update Utility.
  2. After that process, IRST was still able to startup and run. Note, that that was problematic after drivers update using the SnailDriver tool and reason for my question about upgrading IRST.
  3. I uninstalled IRST as you suggested and rebooted.
  4. I installed the new IRST 15.2.0.1020 IRST using setuprst.exe as you suggested and rebooted.
  5. IRST 15.2 is automatically started and can be used

So this was all successful. I only have to figure out what to do about the other drivers indicated by SnailDriver. Obviously, I do not want to install drivers causing problems like this one.

Regards, André

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

André sure, you're welcome.

Yes, that is the best call. Just go for the manual or the automatic installation with the Intel® Driver Update Utility.

Good to know that the drivers are installed now, and of course if you need further assistance let me know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
ADijk1
Beginner

Amy, I think initially following has happened:

1. Drivers were updated. Amongst them: Intel(R) 6th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI Controller 14.8.7.1051 upgraded to 15.2.0.1020
  2. The IRST app was still the 14.8.7.1051 version, which couldn't cope with the new driver, thus causing problems.

So, when updating drivers, one should always observe the software associated with it. Reinstalling (upgrading to 15.2.0.1020) the IRST app automatically installs the correct driver with it.

Regards, André

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Great summary! Uninstalling the driver and reinstalling the driver is the way you make sure that no pieces of software are left behind.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
ADijk1
Beginner

Just one final remark: the essence is to not install the driver, but the app which automatically installs the correct driver associated with it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Great! Do not worry, this is place to share all your findings regarding this driver instillation.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos