Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

I am unable to install the updated RST user interface and driver. I keep getting a failure to install due to fatal error. Also I contstnatly get the Optane memory pinning error. All this was after the most recent update to Windows.

CJohn73
Beginner

I don't know what to do the intel program keeps showing me an update and it won't work, please help. I have tried to unistall the optane memory pinning and it won't repair or uninstall, says the file isn't there.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. If you have Optane Memory Module installed and used for HDD acceleration, disable Optane Acceleration first. If you don't use Optane Acceleration continue directly to para. 2.
  2. Open Apps and Features (in Windows Settings) and uninstall the Optane Pinning Extension and the RST software. Reboot your computer.
  3. Download Intel RST Driver and unzip it on your drive. Right click on iaStorAC.inf and select install from drop down menu. Reboot your computer.
  4. Download from Microsoft Store and install the Intel Optane Memory and Management.
  5. The Intel Optane Memory and Management replaces now the no longer supported Intel RST Software.  

Leon

0 Kudos
CJohn73
Beginner
Leon, Thanks for the reply.  I cannot uninstall the driver that is the problem.  When I try to uninstall the Intel Optane Pinning Explorer Extensions, it says the pathway is not found.  It literally says, "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."  "Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'Shellpackage.msi' in the box below.  Then when I click OK it just says, "the path 'C:/Users/Owner/AppDate/Local/Temp/IIFB95A.tmp/ShellPackage.msi' cannot be found.  Verify that you have access to this location and try again, or try to find the installation package 'ShellPackage.mis' in a folder from which you can install the product Intel Optane Pinning Explorer Extension. Please any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.   Chad 
0 Kudos
CJohn73
Beginner
I also get the following error in my notifications:  Inter Driver & Support Assistant HelperIntel Optane(tm) Memory PinningUnable to load DLL'iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll': The specified module could not be found(Exception from HRESULT: 0x8
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @CJohn73​ 

1. Please download and run the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter.
  2. Double click on MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab, click Next and then on Uninstalling. Select the program you want to uninstall (Intel Optane) and click Next.

Leon

0 Kudos
JBurn12
Novice

Do your have to uninstall the Intel Rapid Storage Technology app? Can it just stay installed as well as the MS IntelMemory & Optane Management app?

I had a problem trying to use MS app when I did the following:

I disabled Optane via the Rapid Storage Technology app, then rebooted. I then uninstalled the Rapid Storage Technology app and installed the MS Intel Memory & Optane app and tried to enable Optane, but with no success, getting an error. I finally ended up restoring my pc. It is running ok again, but I have both apps installed now - is that a problem?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @JBurn12

1. Yes, you should uninstall the Intel Rapid Storage Technology app.
  2. Before installing  Intel Optane Memory and Management and enabling Optane Acceleration, you should update the Intel RST Driver as detailed in para. 2 and 3 in my post above.

Leon

0 Kudos
JBurn12
Novice

Leon, I followed your instructions above and still get an error when trying to enable Optane in MS Optane Memory and Management App. For now, I will just leave Intel Rapid Storage Technology App installed. I do have the latest driver installed, per Intel Driver and Support Assistant. Thank God for Macrium Reflect - without it i would be stuck with a really s l o w pc and no Optane Memory. Hopefully Microsoft and Intel get this straightened out soon.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

It is always wise to keep updated backup. I have installed the Intel Optane Memory and Management without any problems (and I know other people did this also). You may want read the Installation Guide to help find your problem.

Leon

0 Kudos
JBurn12
Novice

Leon, I sincerely apologize - it was my ignorance that was causing my problem. I can't read properly, I guess and ignored the word reboot in "download Intel RST Driver and unzip it on your drive. Right click on iaStorAC.inf and select install from drop down menu. Reboot your computer". It is working now as it should. I really appreciate your help. Thanks!

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

No need to apologize. I'm glad that I could help you.

Leon

0 Kudos
JBurn12
Novice

Leon, I thank you for your instructions and help. I have disabled and enabled Optane Memory using the MS app an all work fine. It was so much easier with your posted instructions. Thanks, stay safe and healthy.