Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

I have installed Rapid store driver vor business. By starting the software it comes up with trial version for 90 days. What will happen after 90 days?

HKris8
Beginner

vroc.PNG

0 Kudos
15 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello HKris8, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. I will need more system information. Let me know why you are installing Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise so I can assist you further with this. Please provide me with an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Make sure to attach the created report to this thread. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
HKris8
Beginner

I tried some other Rapid Store Setups but after starting it mostly comes to something like, "your operating system is not supported".

But I can understand this, because in the descriptions is windows server 2016 declared as ok.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello HKris8, Thank you for your reply. Based on the SSU logs you provided we noticed the following: System Model: "HP Z4 G4 Workstation" OS Name: "Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Datacenter" Based on your motherboard original equipment manufacturer (OEM) website the list of operating systems that are compatible and supported on your system are the following: Windows 10 Pro 64 for Workstations (only for Xeon W configurations) NOTE: For Core i9-X configurations from May 1, 2018. Windows 10 Pro 64 (only for Core X configurations) Windows 10 Pro 64 National Academic Plus (only for Core i7-X configurations) HP Linux Ready NOTE: Includes the drivers for 64-bit OS versions of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6 and 7, SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 and Ubuntu 14.04. Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop Workstation NOTE: Paper license with 1-year support and no preinstalled OS. This second OS must be ordered with the HP Linux Installer Kit as the first OS. Supported Windows 7 Professional 64 (downgrade available by request from HP Support. Only for Xeon W configurations) NOTE: Windows 10 is preinstalled. Only one version of the Windows software can be used at a time. Switching between versions requires uninstalling one version and installing the other version. Back up all data (files, photos, etc.) before uninstalling and installing operating systems to avoid loss of data. Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 7.4 SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 SP3 Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05846113 http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/4AA7-2219ENW.pdf As you can see Windows* Server 2016 is not listed as supported tested or validated. We advise you to use Windows* 10 Pro 64 and to try to install the RSTe driver from your motherboard OEM website (https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-z4-g4-workstation/16449890). Another option is to open a ticket with HP* in order to get further assistance with your issue. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation Third Party Content: Web Sites and Materials may contain user or third party submitted content; such content is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Intel and is provided solely as a convenience to our customers and users. Under no circumstances will Intel be liable in any way for any third party submitted or provided content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions, or damages of any kind. ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE MATERIALS IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR OTHER DEVICE OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY SUCH MATERIAL. By your use, you agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any third party content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such content. All postings and use of the Web Sites or Material are subject to these Terms of Use and any other program and site specific terms.
0 Kudos
HKris8
Beginner

This answer is typical for customer support.

I do not use preinstalled Windows. And in general, the question is another one.

I were installing a windows server operating system with using Xeon CPU and intel chipset with VROC integration.

What will happen due to my LOG message --> the trial of 90 days?

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello HKris8, Thank you for your reply. As mentioned in our previous post we advise you to install the RSTe driver from your motherboard OEM website (https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-z4-g4-workstation/16449890). Another option is to open a ticket with HP* in order to get further assistance with your issue. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
HKris8
Beginner

The open question ist still unanswered.

What will happen after the 90 days of trial?

Is the VROC key from HP the same as from supermicro or others?

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello HKris8, Thank you for your reply. As mentioned on our previous post we advise you to contact HP* to get further information about RSTe and the VROC options on your equipment. Based on our documentation “Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU User Guide” (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/ssd-software/5-5_VROC_Window_User_Guide.pdf): • At the end of the trial period, any RAID volume generated will be displayed in the Intel RSTe 5.5 VC GUI, but they will not be accessible. Once the Intel VROC Upgrade Key is installed in the platform (either during the trial period or after the trial period expires) the environment will become operational and all RAID volumes are accessible as normal. • Intel recommends not using Intel VROC Trial Period RAID volume for any mission-critical data. It is only intended for evaluation purposes and the data cannot be guaranteed (either in the Intel VROC UEFI HII environment or after the period expires). • We advise you to contact your OEM (original equipment manufacturer) to get further assistance for your product. This based on the fact that the driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. We recommend you work with your computer manufacturer before installing our driver so you don’t lose features or customizations. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
HKris8
Beginner

Thank you for your detailed answer. I am now satisfied with the most informations.

But in my opinion, I am using a motherboard with intel chipset. My oem (HP) is not interested in helping me out of trouble. And the chip manufactor (intel) has much more knowledge about this stuff.

So there is also not very much knowledge about vroc, keys and the licensing. Second - X299-chipset and windows driver for Server2019 are very rare, and I only want have a easy gui for seeing raid as functional or not.

Intel is selling some billions of chipset and should know every thing about this, not the oem.

My question about the vroc key is still open. Is the key working with other mainboards oem? HP is telling me much stuff, but not yes or no.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello HKris8, Thank you for your reply. As mentioned on our previous posts we advise you to contact HP* to get further information about RSTe and the VROC options on your equipment. This based on the fact that the driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. We recommend you work with your computer manufacturer before installing our driver so you don’t lose features or customizations. •For information regarding Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) support on X299 please visit: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026106/memory-and-storage/ssd-software.html •Does Intel VROC support third-party SSDs on the X299 platform? No. Intel VROC on X299 platforms supports Intel® SSDs only. For a full list of supported Intel SSDs, please see the Intel® VROC Configuration List. •What is an Intel VROC hardware key? Intel VROC is a licensed product for sale through OEMs or ODMs with a support service level agreement. The Intel VROC hardware (HW) key is the mechanism to obtain a license to the Intel VROC software. Certain OEMs/ODMs have platforms that support Intel VROC by adding an HW key header to their motherboards. The Intel VROC hardware key must be inserted into that motherboard to enable the RAID license. Only one key is needed per system. •Where can I get an Intel VROC hardware key? End users can get the Intel VROC hardware key online. Various keys are available from different sources, but the Intel SSD Only Key (VROCISSDMOD) is the only one supported on X299. Supporting motherboard OEMs sell the correct version of the key. •What is the Intel VROC SKU supported on X299? The Intel VROC SKU supported on X299 is: Intel VROC-Intel SSD only SKU (VROCISSDMOD): RAID 0/1/5/10 support on Intel SSD only. How is Intel VROC different from Intel® RSTe? We hope you find this information helpful. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
HKris8
Beginner

Just one thing.

... Intel supports only intel ssd. Some pro versions of ssds are supported. E.G. Samsung 970 pro. (Works at my system and is supportet through HP).

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello HKris8, Thank you for your reply. Intel VROC on X299 platforms supports Intel® SSDs only. For a full list of supported Intel SSDs, please see the Intel® VROC Configuration List (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030310/memory-and-storage/ssd-software.html) We advise you to contact HP* to get further information about RSTe and the VROC options on your equipment. This based on the fact that the driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. We recommend you work with your computer manufacturer so you don’t lose features or customizations as the one you mentioned in your post. We will like to know if further assistance is required or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello HKris8, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Memory & Storage Support. This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open. Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello HKris8, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support. I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
HKris8
Beginner

I put a Key from Supermicro in IT. The Trial is gone. RAID ist only working with intel ssd.

Now raid will be mirrored with operating system.

You can Close the question.​

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello HKris8, Thank you for your reply. We are glad to hear that you were able to get the key from your OEM and that is working properly with your Intel® SSDs. As per your consent, this case is now close if you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos