Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

I would like to know how to unmount raid array 0?

Egydio
Novice

I would like to know how to unmount the raid 0 array on the acer an515-54-79yx model? I set up a raid 0 with two nvme ssds. The command ctrl + i does not work during windows startup.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
FrigginFrank
Novice

Hi, is windows installed on the drive raid 0 that you are trying to unmount?

0 Kudos
Egydio
Novice
0 Kudos
FrigginFrank
Novice

Ok, I just posted to another user pretty much the same thing so I'll just copy it here. Keep in mind that with raid 0 you will lose all your data on that drive if you break the raid up. If you want to start from a fresh install of windows then you'll be fine. If not then you'll need to make a backup of windows, remove the drives from the raid, then reinstall windows, and finally restore from your backup of windows. Its a lot but not impossible.

Make an image of your windows ON A DIFFERENT DRIVE. You'll need:

-Drive to make backup image of windows

-Some way to reinstall windows, either a bootable USB or CD of windows installation.

Here is instructions to make a bootable windows installation media drive on usb or CD

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f...

Here is the link to make an image of your windows.

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-october-2020-update-common-problems-and-fixes

Here is a link to follow on how to backup and break your array. Follow the long instructions on the post.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/495322#Comment_495322

After this you will install windows using the USB/CD and then restore windows from your Image.

Good luck

0 Kudos
Egydio
Novice

Which link can I download the raid tool from?

0 Kudos
Egydio
Novice

Also, is there any risk in updating the bios, when raid 0 is arrayed?

0 Kudos
FrigginFrank
Novice

It seems the link is not working for the acer raid tool anymore. I'll try to find it.

Updating the bios "normally" does not have an affect on the raid. If you are worried then follow the instructions to make the backup image of windows I posted.

After updating your bios, check to see if you can ctrl+i  during boot to access the raid options and report back.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Be careful. There are situations where the installation of a BIOS update will reset some of the BIOS Setup parameters. If the SATA Mode parameter is reset to AHCI, you won't be able to boot from the array. You can just reset this parameter to RAID and be back in business, however.

...S

Egydio
Novice

OK! However, the rst premium with optane option is automatically. For example: when I press f9 to restore the bios and then press f10 to save on exit, the rst premium with optane mode is automatically activated and not the ahci mode. The same procedure occurs when updating the bios, correct?

0 Kudos
FrigginFrank
Novice
During an update your bios settings "shouldn't" change, but they could. If that happens just change the setting back to whichever way you have windows installed. If you have it installed with sata type in AHCI mode then just change it to that. You'll know because the system will say it can't find a bootable drive.
Egydio
Novice

FrigginFrank Did you find a new version of the raid tool?

0 Kudos
FrigginFrank
Novice

Hey sorry I must not have seen your reply. I'm going to copy here what I suggested to another user with an acer. See if this works for you.

t looks like the raid tool no longer works or is unavailable. What I would do is just run the drives in AHCI mode but you wont be able to make a raid again with the drives in AHCI mode.

Make an image of your windows ON A DIFFERENT DRIVE. You'll need:

-Drive to make backup image of windows

-Some way to reinstall windows, either a bootable USB or CD of windows installation.

Here is instructions to make a bootable windows installation media drive on usb or CD

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f...

Here is the link to make an image of your windows.

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-october-2020-update-common-problems-and-fixes

To break up the array:

1. Boot into your bios and on the MAIN tab press ctrl+s to show the SATA type setting. Change it to AHCI.
  2. Go to the boot tab and make sure boot from USB or CD (whichever you use) is enabled
  3. Save and Exit.
  4. Insert your windows install USB/CD and boot from it to install windows on one of the drives.

After its installed then restore from the image of windows you made. 

Good luck

0 Kudos
Egydio
Novice

I'm sorry for answering so late. However, I would like to know if the RST CLI tool can remove raid 0? If possible, what commands should I type in cmd?

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Egydio, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos