Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

IAStorUI has stopped working

idata
Employee

There was an old thread from a year ago talking about something similar but there were no posts from any intel support staff and no concrete solutions found, so I'm starting it anew....

I'm on an EVGA Mobo with the X58 chipset, and until today was running the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. Over the last 6 months I've RMA'd 6 western digital hard drives thinking I just had really bad luck. I discovered after the 4th RMA that I'd purchased their standard drives which are prone to being dropped from RAID setups, so I purchased 4 new Enterprise level RE3 drives and set them up in a 1+0 array. Since then I've had two more drives drop randomly almost a dozen times, each time forcing me to "Set as Normal" and have the array rebuild itself. This is obviously not a problem with the drives, nobody has this much bad luck.

After searching around I discovered that Intel Matrix has now evolved into Intel Rapid Storage Technology and that they were at least a couple releases in so I decided that with any luck the new system might address these drive dropping issues. I upgraded. I now have RST 10.6.0.1022 installed. All seemed to be fine until I tried to open up the UI to explore and get used to the new system.

Instantly I'm presented with "IAStorUI has stopped working".

• I'm on Win7 x64, and am completley up to date on drivers.
  • I've double checked on my .NET framwork and "Repair"-ed my current 4.x install.
  • I've restarted half a dozen times.
  • I've tried running all aspects of the intel software with Admin privileges.

I'm at my whits end here. If another drive drops out of the array and I don't have the ability to get into the UI to "Set as normal" again, I'm boned. Here is the error report from Windows...

Description:

Stopped working

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: IAStorUI.exe

Application Version: 10.6.0.1002

Application Timestamp: 4dd69f61

Fault Module Name: unknown

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00000000

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 4105

I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain what's going on, and how I'm to solve it.

Regards,

Kevin.

0 Kudos
36 Replies
idata
Employee

Further to this, I've made sure I had .NET 3.5.1 as has been shown in other postings to work, alas, for me it has not. In the process of removing all .NET stuff in the hopes a reinstall of them fresh will do the trick.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So .NET 3.5 is more a part of Windows 7 than in the past, and thus can't be touched, the service pack installs quietly but any kind of overwrite just spawn an error message saying changes require you to visit the dialog called "Turn on and off Windows Features" accessed through the Programs and Features tool. So reinstalled .NET 4.0 again.

No difference at any step of the process, same error from IAStorUI, before, during, and after each step I took. So .NET 3.5.x is not the issue in this case as it may have been with other threads. I have it, I've added. 4.x and still no joy.

Intel, please let me know what's going on here and how it can be solved? Hard to believe you have no simple answer for this.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Are any of you other 350+ (so far) viewers out there experiencing this as well, have you found anything that works yet beyond what I've already tried?

Intel, hey, anyone there? There has to be some sort of answer for this, if it's "We're working on a bugfix release." that's fine, but I need to know that. If there's a beta I can try, let me at it. Anything is better than being in the dark wondering when the next drive is going to drop out and knowing for sure that there's nothing I can do about it?!?!?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm having a very similar problem and I suspect it has something to do with a missing .NET file because an other other program started spazzing out at the exact same time as this and the error message from one of those programs said it couldn't find a missing .NET 3.5 file. I'd give the exact error message but I am just now in the process of reinstalling that program (it's Sonic Generations on Steam) hoping that would fix it. If it doesn't I'll post later with the exact error message. Of course, these two problems might not be related and Sonic Generations breaking might be a red herring.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry/Glad to hear it's not just me, look forward to hearing whether the reinstall of the 3rd party app replaced the missing .NET stuff that IAStorUI seems to be pointed at.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Nice to see Intel bothers to read it's forumns and possibly try to address issues when they release new versions...

Just installed latest release of Intel RST (10.8.0.1003), same problem, new error. Instead of a "BlueScreen" type error as MS describes it, it's now an "APPCRASH", here are the details...

Description:

Stopped working

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Version: 10.8.0.1003

Application Timestamp: 4e9cb575

Fault Module Name: unknown

Exception Offset: 00000000

Folloed up with the option to Debug...

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Version: 10.8.0.1003

Application Timestamp: 4e9cb575

Fault Module Name: StackHash_e8ad

Exception Offset: 006c0065

Exception Data: 00000008

Additional Information 1: e8ad

Additional Information 2: e8adce1c2b9e7be834b4063ac3c53863

Additional Information 3: e8ad

Additional Information 4: e8adce1c2b9e7be834b4063ac3c53863

Still no help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Okay. I got it working again. Sorry it took me so long to write back. I've been very busy with work and having been able to devote time to solving this problem. Here is what I did, maybe it will help others:

BTW, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

First I uninstalled .NET 4.0. I would have also uninstalled .NET 3.5.1 but it seems that it's integrated into Win7 so instead I just reinstalled it.

Rebooted.

Then I reinstalled .NET 4.0 on top of that.

Rebooted again.

Then I went into my Control Panel, then into Programs and Features, and finally I clicked on "Turn Windows Features On or Off" which is located in the left sidebar.

I scrolled down until I found "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1" and made sure every single entry under this category was clicked on.

Rebooted again.

Went into the Administrative Tools, then Services, then right-clicked on Intel Rapid Storage Technology and either chose Start or Restart (can't remember).

Rebooted for the last time.

Intel Rapid Storage Tech was working fine again (and my copy of Sonic Generations for that matter).

I think somehow a part of .NET 3.5.1 got disabled or deleted. Maybe a program uninstalled and deleted something it shouldn't have. Not entirely sure, but it seems the problem was actually with .Net, not the Intel program.

I hope this helps some people with the same problem.

idata
Employee

@Solamon77

Thanks for your solution, sorry I didnt' get back sooner. It seems my issue is slightly more complicated, I'm unable to perform the reinstallation of .NET 3.5.1 properly, I've tried it left right and upside down with no luck, 3.5.1 hates me. I've resigned myself to trusting my hourly backups and crossing my fingers that Intel will eventually drop the legacy requirements in favour of newer versions.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I had this same problem and after allot of research I came to the conclusion that the Raid system must be installed at the same time your installing OS with the F6 (third party option). I had installed Win Ultimate 7 64 and then wanted the Raid system operational and started do the research finding blogs of ways of activating the Raid system. This is where I started and the problem with the IAStorUI began.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63273-*-Windows-7-Ultimate-Tweaks-amp-Utilities http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63273-*-Windows-7-Ultimate-Tweaks-amp-Utilities-*

This read really help in speeding up my system but in further research I determined my mistake was not activating the Raid system at install of Win7.

While updating my system and updating Intel ME (Management Engine Driver) I could not get into the ME system at boot with the ctrl-i command at the boot screen. So this caused me to do further research. I found that only after installing a second SSD, drive to backup some files, the ME window appeared at boot and then after ctrl-i I was able to enter the ME system. What it showed is that in fact the two SSD's where not set up for Raid. This was the only true indicator that was showing me that Raid was not operating on my SSD's. That was my reason for trying to start the Intel Control Center was to see if the SSD's were operating with Raid. ME did give me the option to convert the SSD's to Raid devices but everything I read about doing so after the operating system and programs are all installed told me not to convert to SSD as it could wipe out all info on the SSD's. I went back to the OCZ tech blog and reversed two operations from the (Enable RAID Mode after Installation) section.

Changed the iaStorV value date box back to 3

Left the iaStor value date box at 0 as that is what it was before I started the Tweak

Back in the BIOS I set the (Chipset SATA mode) back to AHCI from RAID.

I went back to the ICC and then the IRST and was once again able to access the Manage tab to get a look at my Storage System View with no error.

This reinforced my conclusion that I will have to start over and reinstall Win7 if I want the RAID system working. Now this is also a question to you tech dudes, am I correct in this conclusion?

Questions:

1. Will Raid increase performance with one SSD with two partitions?

2. My DH67BLB3 MOBO specs say the two blue SATA connectors should transfer at 6gb, mine is currently showing 3gb.
    1. Is this the max for the Intel 320 SSD 80gb drive on the "O" connector?

2. Am I losing out on the 6gb performance because Raid is not setup?

I hope this helps you Dude struggling with the IAStorUI issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I appreciate your answer, however its a completely unrelated issue. I am running a fully functional RAID 10 with 4 drives and have no problem getting into RAID config during POST. The issue we're having is with regard to .NET.

To help you out a little though, no it is not possible to run a RAID with one drive and multiple partitions, by its definition RAID is a Redundant Array of Independant Disks. You need at least two drives in order to utilize any features of the raid whether they be for the purpose of performance, redundancy, or both.

Depending on the type of RAID you choose, you may or may not be able to add drives without having to build the RAID from scratch. You're best to read up on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Cheers,

Kevin.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for getting back to me Kevin. That is what I thought.

The wikipedia read was what I was looking for.

Do you have answer for question 1.

My DH67BLB3 MOBO specs say the two blue SATA connectors (0 and 1) should transfer at 6gb, mine is currently showing 3gb in the IRST.

1. Is this the max for the Intel 320 SSD 80gb drive on the "O" connector?

What would I have to do to get to the speced out 6gb?

Thank you again. Dan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The Intel 320 SSD contains a SATA II/3Gb/s controller, which cannot operate at SATA III/6Gb/s speeds. That is noted in the specs and it is well known this is a SATA II SSD. IRST is correctly reporting the operational speed of your 320.

The only way to fully use the speed of a SATA 6Gb/s interface, is to use it with a SATA 6Gb/s SSD, such as the Intel 510, 520, or the new 330 series. There are many other SSDs that can operate at 6Gb/s speed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am working on a Sony Viao, Win.7 X64 when I read the message folder. The IAStorUI stopped working. After reading this feed on the subject, I went into Administrative Tools and worked my way to Services as told. I found that the Rapid Storage Technology was set to "Automatic (Delayed Start)". I changed it to "Automatic". Rebooted the PC and now the Rapid Storage Technology is working fine. Rebooted again and still running.

Hope this post gives a simple solution for this complex problem. Maybe it can help someone.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm not sure if this is too late to help you or not, but I just had this problem for the second time. I forgot the solution until after I started reading the replies here, and then I suddenly remembered. I'm not sure why it keeps happening but the way I'm able to fix the problem is by going to my BIOS and changing my SATA setting to AHCI mode rather than IDE mode. My system reset it again apparently. I recently had a problem with my boot manager got corrupted after installing Fedora 17 and I had to run a system restore so maybe that caused it. I'm not sure if this will help you any, but I had the same symptoms as you both times, so I thought I'd let you know.

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi all,

I have exactly the same issues with IAStorui failing:

Fault bucket , type 0

Event Name: CLR20r3

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: iastorui.exe

P2: 10.8.0.1003

P3: 4e9cb575

P4: PresentationCore

P5: 3.0.0.0

P6: 4f3505fc

P7: 5021

P8: 0

P9: System.TypeInitialization

P10:

Attached files:

C:\Users\mark\AppData\Local\Temp\WERE8B9.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_iastorui.exe_14a75f4418d8bc96cb343cce2d565542806afb_0f3ff3c0

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: 56509fdc-e460-11e1-b823-00268337d491

Report Status: 1

I can enter the Raid Configuration using Ctrl-I and can see my drives, including the SSD I want to use as cache.

It is very frustrating.

Is there no other way of enabling SDD Cache other than using Intel's Software?

To date I have tried disabling and then enabling dot net 3.51 from the "windows features". According to microsoft this process reinstalls dot net 3.51 - I just doubt that

All my driverss are up to date and my MOBO firmware is also up to date.

I still suspect the dot net component as being corrupted in some way.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
JBaum3
Beginner

Do you have any photo applications (In particular the one that caused me grief was FastPictureViewer). My troubleshooting steps that resolved this issue for me with 12.6.1033 version of RST were to use Microsoft sysinternals suite (procmon), Just before iastorui.exe goes belly up, it reads the registry in HKEY Class root in particular it died on .png. That led me to remember that my Microsoft calculator also had a weird display issue (transparent background and numbers were jumbled), and googling that led to fastpicture viewer.. and sure enough same symptom. Uninstall of that resolved iastorui.exe which now opens.

I have a suspsicion that app added a bunch of file associations that probably overflowed memory when it reads registry with RST.

On to my next task, which is replacing hard drive that failed... now that I can activate a new drive as a spare..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My solution for this problem came from going backwards rather than forward.

In my case, my starting point is a factory image recovery on a Dell XPS 9100 and I was attempting to migrate from non RAID to RAID 1 (I wanted to migrate rather than clean install to avoid losing the Dell recovery partition and pre-installed drivers).

I could open the RST application, but received the "has stopped working" error if I tried to "Manage".

Disabling and re-enabling .NET 3.5.1 changed nothing, and because I had not allowed any updates in yet, 4.0 wasn't even on the system (I had previously tried fully updating a clean system before making the change and had failed).

I decided to try un/reinstalling the RST application itself. Since it's a Dell MOBO, I went to them for the download and noticed that the only thing available for this system was MSM 8.9. I uninstalled RST and installed the availabe MSM. (Note that the RST I uninstalled was part of the factory image, not something I installed separately. The available download was actually older than the original software)

After a resart, I opened the application and was immediately given the option to create a RAID array. It's 25% complete as I write this and there's been no further error.

For all I know, just re-installing the newest RST would have met with the same success, but I've seen plenty of threads where it didn't, so I offer this as "one more thing that worked" in hopes that it will work for others.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel released new RST drivers (Intel Rapid Storage Technology v11.7.0.1013), but unfortunately, it's still getting the same "iastorui has stopped working" error and then just crashes. I am on an Asus P8Z77 WS motherboard, with the new Ivy Bridge i7 CPU.

Is Intel going the AMD way of solving things?

Intel Rapid Storage Technology v11.2.0.1006 - Working but is really old (not good with my Intel SSD 520 Series)

Intel Rapid Storage Technology v11.5.0.1207 - Memory Leaks (unusable)

Intel Rapid Storage Technology v11.5.2.1001 - Still has Memory Leak issue

Intel Rapid Storage Technology v11.6.0.1030 - Problems starting service and crashes

Intel Rapid Storage Technology v11.7.0.1013 - Again... Problems starting service and crashes

So, i've tested almost every version of their driver/app and the only one working on a top notch PC is an old one...

P.S. I have done the tests on Windows 7 Professional 64bits

0 Kudos
MSmit17
Novice

same for me but some people are not having a single issue with the 11.XX version so i dont know.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello guys,

I just want to report.

Windows Server 2008 R2 x64

Intel XEON X5650

Supermicro X8DTL

Using RAID5 with 6 3TB Seagate 7200 hdds.

RST didn't work with 10.x.x.x version

Updated to the latest RST 11.7.0.1013 and it worked.

0 Kudos