Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

IAStorUI has stopped working

idata
Employee

There was an old thread from a year ago talking about something similar but there were no posts from any intel support staff and no concrete solutions found, so I'm starting it anew....

I'm on an EVGA Mobo with the X58 chipset, and until today was running the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. Over the last 6 months I've RMA'd 6 western digital hard drives thinking I just had really bad luck. I discovered after the 4th RMA that I'd purchased their standard drives which are prone to being dropped from RAID setups, so I purchased 4 new Enterprise level RE3 drives and set them up in a 1+0 array. Since then I've had two more drives drop randomly almost a dozen times, each time forcing me to "Set as Normal" and have the array rebuild itself. This is obviously not a problem with the drives, nobody has this much bad luck.

After searching around I discovered that Intel Matrix has now evolved into Intel Rapid Storage Technology and that they were at least a couple releases in so I decided that with any luck the new system might address these drive dropping issues. I upgraded. I now have RST 10.6.0.1022 installed. All seemed to be fine until I tried to open up the UI to explore and get used to the new system.

Instantly I'm presented with "IAStorUI has stopped working".

• I'm on Win7 x64, and am completley up to date on drivers.
  • I've double checked on my .NET framwork and "Repair"-ed my current 4.x install.
  • I've restarted half a dozen times.
  • I've tried running all aspects of the intel software with Admin privileges.

I'm at my whits end here. If another drive drops out of the array and I don't have the ability to get into the UI to "Set as normal" again, I'm boned. Here is the error report from Windows...

Description:

Stopped working

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: IAStorUI.exe

Application Version: 10.6.0.1002

Application Timestamp: 4dd69f61

Fault Module Name: unknown

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00000000

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 4105

I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain what's going on, and how I'm to solve it.

Regards,

Kevin.

0 Kudos
36 Replies
idata
Employee

I found an article that mentioned a program im using that was causing the issue. EVGA Precision. Once I uninstalled it, Rapid Storage opened right up! Now I just need to figure out how to make precision play nicely with IRS.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/iastorui-has-stopped-working/c6664c7a-8f4d-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5 IAStorUI has stopped working - Microsoft Community

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, i don't have EVGA Precision and the Rapid Storage still crashes...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If another program could cause this for me, it could be for others. Try to stop all added programs and restarting IRS. To do this, go to Start > type msconfig > select Startup > select Disable all > select Apply > OK and restart your computer. See if you can manually start IRS. You might need to find it in start, intel, then click on it from there.

You can also try this under the Services tab. Just make sure you Check mark HIDE ALL MICROSOFT SERVICES. You just want to stop installed programs, not windows services.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have tried Intel Rapid Storage Technology v11.7.0.1013 Oficial even on a fresh installed Windows 7 Professional 64bits and still crashed. v11.1.0.1006 worked (and that's like an year old version). So it's clear for me that Intel changed something in the new drivers that make RST to crash/not load on some configurations...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Win7

Errors 'IAStorUI stopped working' & 'Intel RST service is not running' - unable to access the Intel storage manager from the desktop & I can not create a volume/ set-up for RAID1 though I did have it in the past. I can enter the Intel Storage Manager on boot & the storage manager from the desktop & create a volume/set-up for RAID1, if I select RAID ON instead of the Legacy in the BIOS. However, that volume could not be deleted. This seemed to fix the issue for a short time.

I have 4 options in the BIOS. 2 of them RAID ON & LEGACY. RAID ON is needed for the Intel RST and Legacy is needed for Win7. I do have a bootable image so it made the following easier. But is has worked without the issue reappearing:

2 restores were done with a different intent & purpose. The steps are the following:

• start with default settings then - BIOS: RAID ON; cd/dvd first in boot, Time & date, SMART reporting enabled, check video & audio & network & power loss recovery settings are still enabled 7 the way you want them, save.
  • enter intel manager on boot; double check disks to non-member status = no volume listed.
  • restore image or load you software.
  • create volume RAID 1, cycle power, confirm Volume in computer, manager, devices, disks & at drives = no errors.
  • reboot, enter Intel manager on boot, delete volume etc. then, 3 finger salute, BIOS, NOW select LEGACY etc on settings, save, restore image, on the reboot after Win7 load LONG B4 entering user and password, enter BIOS, select RAID ON, save, 3 finger salute; continue as normal for set-up.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I found how to work around the BEX error (from a guy named Butmunch [sic] on OCZ's SSD forums).

I had a well-running Windows-7-64 desktop with some non-system drives in a RAID array. I needed more space and purchased my first "advanced format" 4K-sector drive. The drive came with a bunch of warnings about updating drivers, so I downloaded and installed the latest RST 11.7. After restarting, RST stopped working with the following error:

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: IAStorUI.exe

Application Version: 11.7.0.1013

Application Timestamp: 50aa9318

Fault Module Name: ISDI2.dll

WORKAROUND:

A lot of higher-end desktop motherboards have the usual six SATA ports connected to the Intel chipset, AND two additional SATA ports provided by another SATA-controller chip on your motherboard. The extra SATA ports are typically a different color plastic and/or located on the motherboard in a place separate from the six Intel ports.

Go into the BIOS, disable the extra non-Intel SATA ports, and restart. Intel RST 11.x should work normally.

I have an older Core-2 based system with a Gigabyte brand motherboard [P45-ICH10R chipset]. The guy who discovered the workaround was using a new Asus Z77 "Sabertooth" motherboard. The fact that it worked for both of us means it should apply to a wide variety of hardware.

Unfortunately, you lose the extra SATA ports in the process.

Hope this helps some people. Here's where I found the solution if anybody wants to read about Butmunch's bitchin' computer: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-108604.html http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-108604.html

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I had the same issue with my Intel DZ77RE-75K Board. The RST service and application would not start and was crashing.

After reading the workaround posted by mmasterson I realized I had not installed a driver for the second hard disk controller. I was still using the Microsoft Provided SATA controller driver.

I installed the correct Marvell driver for my second SATA controller and re-installed RST 11.7.0.1013. It's now working normal. Thanks for your posts!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel Rapid Storage Technology v11.7.1.1001 has exactly the same bug as versions before. Back to my good old v11.2.0.1006 (released about an year ago). I feel kinda cheated for buying Intel motherboard + Intel CPU + Intel SSD... and still have a non-working driver.

idata
Employee

I've tried 11.1, 11.6, & 11.7. The latest worked until I updated my BIOS. I'm using a Z77 motherboard with a 64 bit OS. I've tried all the tricks.. changing service startup options, removing .net 3.5.1 & reinstalling & updating, downloading .net 4.0.

Michael's link points to 11.7

I downloaded this file & it works properly now.

STOR_allOS_12.0.0.1083_PV

Here is the URL:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22595&lang=eng&wapkw=stor_allos_12.0.0.1083_pv Download Center

0 Kudos
MTsch2
Beginner

After damaging the harddisk I replaced it with an original version and performed a recovery of W7prof 64bit with the Intel folder under x86. Now RST does not work. The link provided by michael_Intel is for

Rapid Storage Technology Driver for Intel Desktop Boards

Could you please indicate the Driver to use for my Laptop with the processor data as described below. Or where else do I have to ask for help?

Thank you and Regards

MET

According to the specification the Processor data are as follows (by copy/paste):

Processor clock speed: 2.66 GHz

Processor family: Intel Core i5

Processor model: i5-560M

Processor cache: 3 MB

Processor cache level: L3

Motherboard chipset: Intel HM55 Express

Processor front side bus: 1066 MHz

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Our drivers are generic drivers for OEM systems therefore the best step at this point for you to get the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology driver is contacting your Computer Manufacture and requesting this software. They will provide special software designed and created specifically for your computer.

You can also try our latest generic Intel® Rapid Storage Technology driver at this link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24006&lang=eng https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24006&lang=eng

Kevin M

0 Kudos
MTsch2
Beginner

Thanks Kevin for replying and for the link. The link shows 3 downloads, do I need all of them or only the setup?

I was wondering whether the problem was caused by installing a certain program. I made therefore a new recovery but the result is the same. It appeared to me that the system recovery does not seem to install RST but it has such a folder. Also Acer does not show such a driver on their download site:

for the

Acer TravelMate 8572G-564G50Mnkk (64 bit)

SNID: 04100510325

they have the following Intel drivers (Note: Treiber=Driver and the recovery CD was made in Dec 2010)

AHCI Intel SATA AHCI Treiber 9.6.0.1014 10.0 MB 2010/06/21

Chipset Intel Chipset Treiber 9.1.1.1024 2.3 MB 2010/06/21

Turbo Boost Intel Turbo Boost Treiber 6.0.0.1179 40.2 MB 2010/06/21

VGA Intel VGA Treiber 8.15.10.2202 37.9 MB 2011/08/25

Wireless LAN Intel Wireless LAN Treiber 13.2.0.30 128.4 MB 2011/05/18

The recovery installation places the Intel-folder under "Programmes x86" having the sub-folers:

InfInst

Intel Control Center

Intel(R) Management Engine Components

Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology

Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology Driver

I noticed that the Turbo Boost Technology got installed. I am therefore wondering whether the folder with the Rapid Storage Technology is a "left over" from somewhere.

May be you notice from the provided information what possibly is going wrong.

Thanks

Marcel

I tried now to install RST with SetupRST.exe. The installation ends with an error message that the platform would not be suported. Do you have any idea on how to proceed now?

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

The Intel® Rapid Storage Technology can be installed on the system if the chipset mode has been set as RAID at the BIOS level. This means that If the OEM installed the image as AHCI you may find problems when installing the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology.

The packet you install may have contained a other drivers but the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology will not be installed. This may be the reason why is not being installed.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
JNish1
Beginner

I had been using RST 11.7 with ASRock X79 Extreme 6 (i7 3930k) and Windows 7 x64, and I also met with the same problem. Reinstalling RST 11.7 or 11.6 and ASMedia SATA Host Controller, updating the so-called BIOS ended in vain. But If ASMedia SATA Mode in UEFI Setup Utility is "Disabled", RST user interface can be open.

Unavoidably I am using "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller" in place of RST, because I need 8 SATA ports.

0 Kudos
IKell
Beginner

I received the message "Intel RST Service is not running" and RST UI did not start.

According to post "http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system/intel-rst-service-is-not-running-message-when-it/0e3c3a28-6b0b-4242-bfa5-86c41a19d8d9 Intel RST service is not running message when it is running" on Microsoft Community I downloaded "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver" (SetupRST.exe, 12.9.0.1001) from "https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=23496&keyword=%222012+Intel+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel+RST)%22&lang=eng Download Center".

This fixed the Problem for me.

0 Kudos