Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

IRST & H310M PRO-VDH PLUS

esbiko
Beginner

Hi, ich war auf der Suche einem kleinen Board mit Onboard Raid.

Der Händler bestätigte diese Funktion auf seiner Webseite und ich verifzizierte das noch einmal direkt bei MSI. Da stand "IRST Support" unter der Section Storage.

https://de.msi.com/Motherboard/H310M-PRO-VDH-PLUS/Specification

Als das Board kam, musste ich feststellen das diese Funktion fehlte. Der Händler entschuldigte sich und verwies auf die Informationen vom Hersteller.

Der MSI Support entgegnete es wäre nur die Unterstützung von IRST. Ich kann das jetzt nicht ganz nachvollziehen und Suche jetzt Antwort in diesem Forum. Ist IRST Support nicht gleich IRST und somit auch die Raid-Funktionalität?

Folgend die Antwort vom Support

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage.

... das H310 Hat kein raid und das IRST steht nicht zwangsläufig das es Raid unterstützt. 
Das IRST umfasst auch Raid Funktion aber nicht jedes Gerät das IRST unterstützt  ist auch Raid kompatibel 
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Ihr MSI Tech. Support Team

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Note that support is provided in English only. We will use translation tools to view your input. Understand that, if you send snapshots containing non-English text, we will not be able to translate this text, so you must either generate it in english, translate it for us or provide the information in text form so we can translate it.

Now, either the BIOS contains Intel RST support or is doesn't. MSI's idiotic (and circular) argument is the result of someone attempting to answer the question without understanding how Intel RST works.

The Intel RST capability is typically enabled by setting the SATA Mode parameter to RAID, but MSI may not necessarily present it this way in their BIOS. Unfortunately, I cannot say what this will look like because it can differ from one motherboard product to another.

In order to use Intel RST to set up a RAID array, you need (a) two M.2 NVMe SSDs that are in M.2 sockets whose PCIe lanes are provided by the PCH or (b) two (or more) SATA HDDs/SSDs/SSHDs.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
esbiko
Beginner

Hi Scott,

thanks for your answer and sorry i thought since i registered on the german board i could also write in german.

I was looking for a board with raid support and found the mentioned MSI board at my dealer. I checked the RAID function on the MSI website. It said "support for IRST" so I bought it and then wondered that I could not activate RAID. I have two 2.5" SSDs installed but I have no way to change the controller from AHCI to RAID.
On inquiry with MSI I got the answer that the board does not offer Raid and only supports IRST. This makes no sense to me but the MSI employee insists on his statement that the information from the website is correct and the board only supports IRST and does not offer RAID.

Now the question here in the forum, is that possible? is the MSI employee right when he says that there is support for IRST but that is not the same as a RAID functionality. O_o

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
No, that's not right; iRST means RAID.
...S