Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

IRST and SATA on z590

z590notcool
Beginner

Issue in NOT OS specific.

Issue is NOT board manufacturer specific.

it appears that Z590 is a fluke

Reproduced the issue on asus strix z590-e and gigabyte vision d motherboards.

Issue on various BIOS versions, including the latest updates.

HDD tested WD RE4 4 TB and 1TB, HGST 6, 8 and 14 TB in non-RAID and RAID 1 configuration.

SSD samsung pro 860 1 TB

CPU i9 11900K

power supply evga titanium

memory QVL for boards

with discrete and onboard video cards nvidia based.

BIOS defaults used for all settings except SATA mode.

ISSUE:

need to create a RAID ready system.

initially tested with 1 HDD/SSD only in different SATA ports, new SATA cables, new power supply, CPU, memory, motherboards.

in AHCI mode, HDD/SSD detected properly AND visible in BIOS for BOOT bypass.

Additionally, drives visible to windows install software and data recovery software (proprietary OS).

when IRST premium with optane acceleration is turned on,

- IRST controller detects and reports the HDD/SSD in the system

- SATA port detects the drive and port can be turned on/hot or hotplug feature can be enabled

BUT

- drives not available for BOOT bypass selection

- drives not available to windows install software (not detected)

- drives not "seen" by data recovery software

IRST version 18.xx (on one motherboard, IRST version 18.31.xx...)

Installed 2 HDD for RAID 1. RAID 1 volumes can be created in BIOS, system sees the RAID volumes, but these are invisible to windows during windows install.

THESE ISSUES WERE NOT PRESENT ON z390 and z490 chipsets.

It follows that z590 does not work as advertised.

I wonder, am I the only one interested in creating RAID-ready systems that include both non-RAID and RAID drives?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So let's go through this issue by issue...

1. Drives not available for BOOT bypass selection - that's correct; once a drive is part of an array (and RST is enabled, of course), drives will NOT be visible individually. The array should be present, but the BIOS may not include it in the list until it cannot detect that the array is bootable (i.e. O/S installed to it).
  2. Drives not available to windows install software (not detected) - that's also correct; you need the RST drivers gaspumped into your Windows installation image or loaded during the installation process if you want to see the array.
  3. Drives not "seen" by data recovery software - that too is also correct; once a drive is part of an array (and RST is enabled, of course), drives will NOT be visible individually.
  4. These issues were not present on Z390 and Z490 chipsets - ABSOLUTE BALONEY! The above rules of operation have existed for 15-odd years.
  5. It follows that z590 does not work as advertised - That too is absolute baloney!

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, let me ask - Are you sure that you are describing everything fully? Going by what you've said, well, my answers are above. If there's something that you are leaving out, well, I am listening; please explain yourself.

Oh, and just remember, the BIOS is owned my the board manufacturer and Intel is not privy to nor responsible for its operation. 

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
z590notcool
Beginner

@n_scott_pearsonSuper User Retired Employee

It appears that retirement does not treat you well.

Let's see

1. Drives not available for BOOT bypass selection - no this is INCORRECT. How do I know? Just because z390 and z490 boards do just that. A SATA connected drive is visible to boot from both in AHCI and when IRST is selected. I can take screenshots but hey you worked for intel so you know better.

2. Drives not available to windows install software (not detected) - no, your explanation is incorrect ... again. Windows OS 8, 8.1, 10 show these SATA connected drives in boards with z390 and z490 but not z590. Think again before opening ... sorry, typing on your keyboard. Pictures are also available to document this.

3. Drives not "seen" by data recovery software - think again here too, drives connected to SATA, both non-RAID and RAID volumes, are seen by the recovery software in z390 and z490 board. And I am not talking about trash software for home user but professional Paragon software, including RAID volumes.

4. These issues were not present on Z390 and Z490 chipsets - let the vapors clear in your head, and please exit the premises to avoid getting intoxicated again. I can document this with pictures, taken from machines running z390 and z490. Before you insult someone, think about what is the purpose of me wasting time here for supposedly competent opinions.

5. It follows that z590 does not work as advertised - yes, this would be only the logical conclusion. Created tickets with board manufacturers and also with intel, these tickets are already 3 weeks old and no solutions were provided. Intel brothers ask me to install windows. I keep saying windows does not see the SATA connected drives under IRST. AHCI mode works just fine. And I tried 10 different drives, WD RE4 2 generations, HGST 3 capacities both from a RAID array created under z390 and z490, SSD Samsung 850 and 860 pro. This is not a coincidence or some observation this is a reproducible issue.

Yes, your honor, I did not hold anything back. My customers are asking me when are their machines going to be ready. I tried 2 major manufacturers, Asus and Gigabyte, different boards gaming/creator editions. Do you think I have time to write this message and some dude to give me their attitude?

I should take this to a lawyer, they love these class action activities.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You are the one that arrived here with the bad attitude. You want help, you come here and you ask for help. You don't come here making half-baked, blanket statements about something being badly broken - and you certainly don't come here making threats. You want to sue Intel, have at it. But, making threats regarding lawsuits accomplishes nothing here; it mostly just turns people off. Threats are also against the communities guidelines - you know, the ones you agreed to abide by when you created your account here.

...S

0 Kudos
z590notcool
Beginner

Here we go again.

You focused your reply on "attitude" rather than the issue.

Please indicate where is my threat?

I offered evidence. Intel has been notified with pictures, same asus and gigabyte.

They did not come up with a resolution. This by itself is an indication.

Please refrain from using unsupported statements

you are bullying and a bully

half-baked statements? - evidence is there

blanket statements about something being badly broke? - evidence is there

Suing intel is not a threat.

I did not come here for help, just to document I exhausted all options.

So, chill or puff away whichever suits best.

For being a bully yourself, you should be kicked out from this community regardless of the level of expertise. That is, if we talk rules and principles. But I guess we are not.

0 Kudos