Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2045 Discussions

IRST quit working - Windows 7 - 'An unknown error occurred while running this application.'

DHans4
Beginner

I've been using Intel Rapid Storage Technology for a couple years on my home PC, but it just recently stopped working. I'm running a single 250GB Samsung SSD for my OS, and 3 x 3TB Seagate Drives in a RAID 5 for storage. I also have a couple of other drives with other OS's installed for dual-boot, but they're not really relevant to my situation here...

Other Specs of Note:

Version: 6.1.7601 SP1

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 0403, 10/23/2013

SMBIOS Version: 2.7

MOBO: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition, Rev 1.xx

Earlier today, I went to burn a DVD and noticed my DVD drive was missing, as was my storage drive (I basically just had C:\ and a couple of virtual disk drives from Daemon Tools). Upon further investigation, I also noticed all of my drives except my OS drive were missing from Disk Management.

I checked my virus scans, and took all the available Windows updates to no avail. Then I tried running 'Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool (mdsched.exe)' but it found no errors. Finally, I powered down, unplugged, took the case apart and checked all of my connections (they were good). When I booted back up, I loaded into BIOS to check a few things, and noticed all of the drives were appearing there (which was reassuring). After I checked that and tried to boot, I got a black screen during POST that stated "The system found unauthorized changes on the firmware, operating system, or UEFI drivers". After a bit of Googling, I came across https://superuser.com/questions/1054790/system-found-unauthorized-changes-on-the-firmware/1054999 this SuperUser article which suggested disabling Secure Boot. I did that and my PC booted without issue.

After that boot, it automatically installed several drivers, which seemed to align with my various disk drives, upon conclusion of those drive installs, the system prompted for a reboot, which I let it perform. It came back up without issue, and I now see all of my drives. The only problem is my E:\ drive (storage array) is showing up as an unformatted drive (which I have not allowed Windows to format or do anything else with). I tried to check IRST for array status, but the program won't launch.

The application icon appears in the system tray, and on hover it states 'Intel RST Service is not running.' On a whim, I checked services, and it was indeed not running, set to Startup Type 'Automatic (Delayed Start)'. I manually started the service, but nothing changed with the icon behavior. When I attempt to launch the application (either via right clicking the system tray icon and selecting 'Open Application', or by going through the Start Menu), I get a UAC prompt (which I accept), and after a few seconds, an error appears stating 'An unknown error occurred while running this application. If the problem persists, please restart your computer or try reinstalling the application.'

I'm hesitant to go much further with troubleshooting on my own, as I'm really concerned by the thought of losing my E:\ drive data (lots of family pictures/old files/etc...).

Has anyone else encountered this issue before, or have any solid suggestions as to what to check next?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sounds like, before anything else, you need make a backup of that data!

I remember seeing this error message a year or two ago. I uninstalled and then reinstalled the RST software package and this fixed the issue. While doing this should not affect the operation or contents of your RAID array(s), I recommend that you backup your contents before you do this. You can purchase 6TB external HDDs on Amazon for US$120 right now. Might be a good investment...

...S

DHans4
Beginner

Thanks, Scott! I was thinking that as well, and will definitely be working to do so as soon as I can get back at the data. I'm a little concerned that I wouldn't be able to back it up currently, as the software RAID controller isn't working, so it's just showing up as a 'RAW'/'Unformatted' drive in Windows. Do you know if a backup would still be effective in this case?

I've been thinking about a reinstall as well, but need to determine which installer to use. I'm assuming it would be https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27147/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-?product=55005 one of these, but I'm not positive which one is compatible with my system/https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_BLACK_EDITION/ Motherboard. As far as I know, I don't have or have never used Intel® Optane™ Memory, so I'm not sure if these installers would apply.

I checked the https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_BLACK_EDITION/HelpDesk_Download/ Driver & Tools site on the Asus website as well to see if they recommend a specific installer there for my device, but nothing seems to jump out. Just want to make sure I don't reinstall the wrong version (measure twice). If you have any installer insights from your previous reinstall I would definitely welcome them!

I'll be doing some further digging around tonight and will post back with results as I come up with anything.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You didn't accidently change the SATA mode in the BIOS from RAID to AHCI (or IDE), did you? Go into BIOS Setup and check this. If it has been changed, change it back!

If you (at boot time) use CTRL-I to enter the BIOS RAID extension, what do you see? Does it show the three drives as being in an array? Does it show any errors?

...S

0 Kudos
DHans4
Beginner

You are the MAN, Scott! You're definitely on to something here... I never changed the SATA mode to AHCI, but that's sure enough what it was!

I'm not out of the woods yet, but I'm definitely headed in the right direction (I hope). I set it back to RAID, and rebooted. My BIOS RAID extension lists all three drives, but only 1 of them as a member disk (the other two as 'Non-RAID Disks'). The storage array is currently in 'Failed' status. When it booted up, IRST threw an error, but it actually allowed me to launch the application, which is good progress. It's reporting a failed RAID with only one member disk, but it does at least see all three of them.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1hCsaa95IjR2w1yt1 Here are some screenshots/photos of the RAID extension, disk management, and IRST (I did disconnect the other non-essential drives for ease of troubleshooting). I'm thinking/hoping I should be able to reassign the available drives to the RAID in IRST, or perhaps via the BIOS RAID and hopefully get it to rebuild, but I'll have to dig into that more in a couple hours once the baby goes to sleep.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: Correcting Hyperlink (https://photos.app.goo.gl/1hCsaa95IjR2w1yt1 https://photos.app.goo.gl/1hCsaa95IjR2w1yt1)

0 Kudos
DHans4
Beginner

Gonna try this later, I think...

0 Kudos
DHans4
Beginner

Update: I was able to reinitialize the RAID by following the steps outlined in the aforementioned thread. The RAID is now reporting as Normal in IRST, but I still can't access it via Windows Explorer. The E:\ drive is reporting as not being formatted. I'm hesitant to format it, and was trying to use TestDisk to restore my partitions, as discussed in the aforementioned thread (which is now locked).

When I run TestDisk, it can see my files. The file/folder architecture is all in place. Moreover, I can successfully copy the files from my RAID array to my C:\ drive, which resides on a separate single disk, so all the data is there, it's just a matter of getting the partition tables back in place and perhaps formatting the drive (though I hesitate to do the latter and risk screwing something up), so I can get to them via Windows Explorer.

I attempted the write/reboot process twice, as outlined in the thread, and the TestDisk Guide (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step TestDisk Step By Step - CGSecurity ), but so far have not been able to get back into the drive.

Of note, the tool detects a partition table type of [EFI GPT] where I would've expected [Intel]. I've tried it both ways. The tool finds missing partitions in both cases, and it can see all of my files in both cases, but rewriting the partition table doesn't let me get into the drive via Windows Explorer no matter which route I take. I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple...

EFI GPT Approach

Select EFI GPT --> Analyse

The tool tells me 'No FAT, NTFS, ext2, JFS, Reiser, cramfs or XFS marker'. It also lists three Primary partitions, the first two of which are identical, which seems likely inappropriate.

Quick Search finds the following missing partition.

[P] to list files on the located partition (which look correct)

Attempt write to partition table, reboot, nothing happens...I still can't access the drive via File Explorer.

Intel Approach

Select Intel --> Analyse

The tool tells me ''Error: size boot_sector 11720716288 > partition 4294967295. Invalid NTFS or exFAT boot". It also lists two primary bootable partitions, both of which are identical, which seems likely inappropriate.

Quick Search finds the following missing partition.

[P] to list files on the located partition (which look correct)

Attempt write to partition table, reboot, nothing happens...

I'm going to pick this up tomorrow. Worst case scenario, I can at least manually copy the files off the RAID to a separate drive using this tool, and then try a format or other reconstructive methods to get back to E:\ using Windows Explorer.

I'll continue to provide updates (and welcome ideas) until this is fully resolved.

Thanks!

0 Kudos