Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management: Member disk flagged as "Failed" while newly created RAID1 volume is Migrating. Migration continues.

HEl-Z
Beginner

Should I wait for it to finish migrating? Will it recover from whatever this failure is? This is a newly purchased drive and if there is a permanent hardware problem with it I want to be able to return it.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

HEl-Z, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your question, if the member disk is flagged as "Failed" on a RAID 1 configuration, it means that there is actually no structure or data created, that is why the migration will continue but it will not fix any errors.

If it is possible for you to provide a screenshot of this error that will allow us to confirm if that is the case.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
HEl-Z
Beginner

I'm afraid I didn't get a screenshot of the error. However I seem to have resolved the problem. I waited till migration was complete then rebooted. the RST BIOS reported errors. I went back into Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management 17.8.1007.0 to try to repair the RAID 1 array but still had "Your system is reporting one or more events, and data may be at risk" and one of the drives flagged as failed. I reinstalled Intel Rapid Storage Technology 17.8.0.1065 and there I was able to reset the "failed" disk and rebuild the RAID array:

I then uninstalled RST and rebooted, went back into Optane MSM and checked it was reporting the array as functioning normally:

chkdsk/f of the array reported no errors, and S.M.A.R.T. for both drives shows everything normal (Hard Disk Sentinel).

Is there a diagnostic I can run to check the integrity of the RAID structure? Or should I trust the Optane app's report?

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello HEl-Z, Thank you very much for sharing those details and providing those results.

Perfect excellent, it is great to hear that you were able to reset the "failed" disk and rebuild the RAID array.

In reference to your question about the integrity of the RAID structure, we will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello HEl-Z, I just received an update on this matter.

Regarding the inquiry of the integrity of the RAID structure, the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology tool has an option for "Verify and Repair" that you can use for this purpose:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006401/technologies.html?erpm_id=1935950

If the Intel® RST shows that the system may be at risk, that will be related to the SMART feature of the drive and in that case, what we recommend will be to check the HDD integrity using the diagnostic tools provided by the manufacturer of the hard drive.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos