Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

Intel RST does not support spin down of RAID HDD disk?

鈴隆介
Beginner

I want you to spin down when you are not using the RAID drive for a while.

I want this function to be added as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello kodenma

Thank you for joining the community, and also, thank you for the feedback.

In order to help you better on the case, could you provide me with the version of Intel® RST that you have installed?

Also please provide me with your hardware configuration?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
鈴隆介
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

The version of intel RST I am using is 16.0.2.1086 in 64 bit.

CPU:i7-4790k

Chipset:H97

Drive:SSD(primary) + RAID5 1TB HDD x3(Secondary)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello kodenma

Thank you for your response.

I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have on the computer. Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Steps to save the report:
  1. Run the utility.
  2. Click on "Scan" to get the scanned system.
  3. Once the scan is complete click on "next".
  4. Use the "save" option, save the report to your desktop.
  5. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
鈴隆介
Beginner

I created a file exactly as I was told.

I will attach it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello kodenma

Thank you for your response.

I am looking into the report that you have provided me and I see that your system has an Intel(R) 9 Series chipset. I would like to share with you that the Intel® RST 16.0.2.1086 version is not intended for to be used with your chipset (see the readme notes on the following link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27681/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?v=t https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27681/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?v=t).

Information take form the read me notes on the previous link:

1. SUPPORTED PLATFORMS/CHIPSETS

This Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Release is designed to provide functionality for the following Storage Controllers (Canon Lake and Kaby Lake Platforms):

Canon Lake Platform Series:

- Intel® 300/240 Series Chipset Family:

Desktop, High End Desktop (HEDT), Workstation (WS)

- H310 - H370

- Q360 - Q370

- B360 - C246 (WS)

Mobile Halo

- QM370 - HM370

- CM246

- Intel(R) 8th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI/RAID Controller

Mobile Low Power (LP)

- Premium-U

- Base-U

Kaby Lake Platform Series:

Kaby Lake Refresh:

- Intel(R) 200 Series (with X299/Z370) Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller

- Z370

- Intel(R) 8th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI/RAID Controller

- Base-U (KBL-R)

- Premium-U (KBL-R)

- Premium-Y (KBL-R)

Kaby Lake:

- Intel(R) 200 Series (with X299) Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller

- Z270 - Q250

- Q270 - B250

- X299 (HEDT) - H270

- Intel(R) 7th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI/RAID Controller

- Base-U

- Premium-U

- Premium-Y

- Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller

- QM175

- HM175

- CM238

Looking further into the Intel® RST versions I see that the driver version 14.8.16.1063 provides support to your chipset (please refer to the readme notes on the following link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26759/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26759/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver)

Information taken from the read me notes on the link provided above:

Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Release is designed to provide functionality for the following Storage Controllers:

- Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller

- Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller

- Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller

- Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller

<span ...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello kodenma

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
鈴隆介
Beginner

I installed the specified version, but the state does not change.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I have a theory: If, in the background, the RST software is regularly issuing S.M.A.R.T. queries to the HDDs, then the HDDs will never be able to spin down. The issue is that S.M.A.R.T. queries are considered active operations by the HDDs and they spin up (if not already) as a result.

If this is actually the case, then we are looking at a bug in the RST software. In its polling cycle, the RST software, before issuing any S.M.A.R.T. commands, should query Windows to see which drives have been spun down. It should then issue S.M.A.R.T. commands to only those drives that are not spun down. For the drives that are spun down, it should presume that the status of the drive is as its last completed S.M.A.R.T. query indicated.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
鈴隆介
Beginner

I made multiple verifications, but I think that the possibility of a bug in intel RST is great.

The contents verified are as follows.

・I confirmed that the HDD is spun down using the software called HDDScan.

・I stopped software that seems to get SMART but spin down was not done.

・I monitored the HDD using the release monitor, but there was no software etc accessing the target HDD.

There seems to be the same bug in other forms.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello kodenma

Thank you for your response and for the inside on the case.

I would like to know if you have taken into consideration if the HDD firmware has a power management configuration to avoid the spin down when HDDs are set on a RAID build.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello kodenma

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
LDzia
Beginner

I had the very same problem. Older system with W10 PRO as a home server with intel RAID.

ASRock H87M Pro4

Intel H87 (Lynx Point)

3x WD RED 2TB

1x 2TB 2,5" RED as cache for video recording.

No matter what the RAID nor single drive won't spun down. 100% time online. Installed Intel RST and kept updated. But recently I found a discussion that the very last intel driver that had working drive sleep was 13.6.0.1002. It's really old. 2014

After uninstalling the most recent Intel RST and installing this 6 years old Intel RST all the drives started to sleep after (1) minute of inactivity as setted in the system power setting.

Maybe Intel RST was also outsourced to India as most things were broken after relocating there. (W10, Teams).

0 Kudos