Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

Intel RST reporting phantom issues

jalle6
Beginner

Intel RST 14.8.16.1063 is reporting one or more events but not showing me what those events are.

I am running Windows 10 using an ASUS motherboard with a simple 2-drive RAID mirror.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello jaja714,

I am sorry to hear you are having issue with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology.

Please try the following steps

Please share your results.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
jalle6
Beginner

Amy, I don't want to blindly repair anything until I know what the problem is. Why is RST telling me there is a problem without telling me what the problem is?

FYI: the disk array is less than a year old and, in actuality, is working just fine. I'm just tired of this RST message and I want it to either tell me exactly what the problem is or shut up already. I know you are eager to see if my computer is plugged in and not on fire or something but, really, let's just focus on what RST is trying to report before we start surgery.

0 Kudos
jalle6
Beginner

A few more things Amy. Firstly, my RAID array does not appear in the Storage System View. Only the non-RAID hard-drives on my system appear there. Secondly, there is no "Verify" option available for any of those disks.

So, the question at hand has grown to two questions which all need to be answered:

1. Why is INTEL RST reporting errors but not showing me what those errors are?

2. Why is my RAID array not appearing in the Storage System View?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/117025 jaja714, sure I can help with your questions but in order to provide to you the most accurate answers I would like to gather two things, please see below.

Thank you.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
jalle6
Beginner
0 Kudos
jalle6
Beginner
0 Kudos
jalle6
Beginner

Notice the 3TB drives, H and J, are missing from the Intel RST app.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the screenshots.

Could you please attach your System Report for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology? This report will help to check some information for compatibility purposes.

I would recommend running a hard drive test for each drive you have, this will will help to check if there is a hard drive sector compromised. It's possible that the drives that are not visible in the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology home are connected to a different SATA controller; therefore, our controller is unable to see them.

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
jalle6
Beginner

Let's assume there are no bad sectors as the disks all seem to be working just fine. How do I run the System Report?

0 Kudos
jalle6
Beginner

Here it is.

0 Kudos
jalle6
Beginner

Notice there are 6 disks in the System Report while only 4 show up in the RST main display. The missing disks, in ports 2 and 5, are the only ones I care about right now. That is my 3TB RAID ARRAY (mirror).

So, back to the questions at hand.

(1) What is Intel RST telling us there is an error without showing us what that error is?

(2) Why is my RAID array missing from the display?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Alright, follow the steps below.

Save System Report

1. Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface (Start > Programs > Intel > Intel® Rapid Storage Technology).
  2. Click the Help icon.
  3. Click the System Report icon.
  4. Click Save

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/117025 jaja714, hope you were able to follow the steps mentioned before.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
jalle6
Beginner

Yes, I did it before your post. Look carefully at the messages above.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the file.

Back your questions;

(1) What is Intel RST telling us there is an error without showing us what that error is?

Your Intel® RST report and your System Storage View do not show any errors which makes me think this could be related to an specific sector in your hard drives.

(2) Why is my RAID array missing from the display?

There are two possibilities, the fist possibility is that this specific array is connected to a different SATA controller, and the second possibility is that your SATA mode is set to AHCI.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
JPars5
Beginner

The default responses here sound like they come from someone with very little technical understanding, don't misunderstand I'm not being rude just pointing out the obvious.

I'm no computer expert but the answer to this is quite simple and I cannot understand why you are expected to jump through hoops to get a simple answer!

jaja714 the report clearly shows that you are running AHCI mode in the bios, you will only see your raid drives in the IRST app in RAID mode, in order to change modes you need to first make a change in the registry or you will be unable to boot windows in that mode.

Vista-Win7

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-change-sata-hard-disk-mode-from-ide-to-ahci-raid-in-bios-after-installing-windows/ How to Change SATA Hard Disk Mode from IDE to AHCI / RAID in BIOS after Installing Windows? - AskVG

Windows 8-10

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/22631-enable-ahci-windows-8-windows-10-after-installation.html Windows 10 Forums

I can't tell you why this occurs in the IRST app, perhaps someone with more technical understanding can answer this question and which mode you should be using AHCI or RAID?

I also have the error with no explanation but it is not present in RAID mode, I'm assuming the IRST app is faulty and thinks there is a problem when running raid in AHCI and gives a default vague response "your system is reporting one or more events and data may be at risk" when no problem exists, If there is no problem and the report is false then perhaps this could be fixed in the future INTEL!?

I have had this error since building this system last year and have no problems with any drives or data!

0 Kudos
jalle6
Beginner

There are two ways for Amy C to handle this. (a) she could solve the problem or (b) she could stall and ask me to do a lot of risky and time-consuming steps until I decide to just stop "bothering" her. Amy has chosen the latter. Consider this honest constructive criticism. After all this time, Amy, it should've dawned on you that, if Intel's software is detecting something, it should also be able to tell us what it is detecting. If it can't, it should NOT be presenting an error. That is simple common sense.

That said, Wizzzzard, before I start making registry changes (not a problem actually), I'd like to point out that my current RAID array is not my boot drive. It is simply two data drives mirroring each other. Once I get this working and monitored properly, the boot drive will be the next job to tackle.

So, my goal is to get my RAID drives monitored and it sounds like IRST can't do that regardless of the mode. So, instead of changing the mode, is there something else I can use instead of IRST to monitor this array "as-is"?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

jaja714, I understand your point of view.

The Intel® Rapid Start Technology will help to report events regarding your RAID and hard drives status; but not necessarily the tool will not indicate what's is wrong with the disk. This is why we recommended to run a hard drive test for each drive you have. As mentioned before your SATA mode is set to AHCI, this I was able to check it in your report, this is related to the fact that your RAID array missing from the display.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos