Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Intel RST vs RSTe - Help!

MJohn29
New Contributor I

I have the DX79SI system board with the X79 chipset. Which Rapid Storage Technology driver should I be using? There are two packages with entirely different build numbers - RST 12.8.0.1016 and RSTe 3.6.0.1093

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DZand
Valued Contributor I

If you are running your HDDs/SSDs in AHCI mode, you can use any of them both, but if your C600 Series Chipset SATA Controller has been set to "RAID", you probably have to use the X79 typical RSTe drivers v3.x.x.xxxx, because Intel C600 Series Chipset SATA RAID Controllers are not supported by any of the Intel RST RAID drivers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DZand
Valued Contributor I

If you are running your HDDs/SSDs in AHCI mode, you can use any of them both, but if your C600 Series Chipset SATA Controller has been set to "RAID", you probably have to use the X79 typical RSTe drivers v3.x.x.xxxx, because Intel C600 Series Chipset SATA RAID Controllers are not supported by any of the Intel RST RAID drivers.

0 Kudos
MJohn29
New Contributor I

So are you saying that the X79 C600 is designed to be used with RSTe, but if I am using AHCI mode (instead of RAID mode), then vanilla RST will work just fine?

0 Kudos
DZand
Valued Contributor I

Zorlac schrieb:

So are you saying that the X79 C600 is designed to be used with RSTe, but if I am using AHCI mode (instead of RAID mode), then vanilla RST will work just fine?

Yes, that is correct. It is a pity, that Intel has decided not to support Intel X79 chipset RAID systems by the RST drivers v11/v12. Many X79 RAID users reported, that they got a far better performance with the (officially not supported) Intel RST drivers. For further informations you may look into this thread I have started some months ago: /thread/37403?tstart=0 http://communities.intel.com/thread/37403?tstart=0

0 Kudos
MJohn29
New Contributor I

Thanks Fernando! I just read another thread you commented on and if I am understanding again, there is no reason to install RSTe (or RST) if you are running in AHCI mode....since it yields no benefits and only creates unneeded services running in the background. Is this true? I thought it allowed TRIM to work, etc.

0 Kudos
DZand
Valued Contributor I

Zorlac schrieb:

if I am understanding again, there is no reason to install RSTe (or RST) if you are running in AHCI mode....since it yields no benefits and only creates unneeded services running in the background. Is this true?

It is true, but only valid for the RST/RSTe Software packet containing the RST/RSTe Console and the RST/RSTe Services, not for the RST/RSTe drivers.

So if you want a performant AHCI system, you should only install the related Intel RST/RSTe driver and not run the installer of the complete package.

Zorlac schrieb:

thought it allowed TRIM to work, etc.

The Intel RST/RSTe Software has nothing to do with the TRIM support. Only the AHCI/RAID drivers and the active Intel RAID ROM resp. SataDriver module version are responsable for the TRIM in RAID0 feature. The Intel RSTe drivers and OROM modules v3 do not support TRIM in RAID0. If you want this feature, you have to use an Intel RST driver and OROM/SataDriver v11 or v12.

0 Kudos
MJohn29
New Contributor I

Cool! I think I am finally getting it. Two more questions...

The OROM is installed/packaged with BIOS/UEFI updates correct? Basically, we cannot just download OROM updates and flash them?

Also, I am guessing the AHCI driver is the same across both the RSTe and RST packages? So which ever package has the latest build date, we should then extract the AHCI driver from it since it will probably be the newest version?

0 Kudos
DZand
Valued Contributor I

Zorlac schrieb:

The OROM is installed/packaged with BIOS/UEFI updates correct? Basically, we cannot just download OROM updates and flash them?

The Intel RAID OROM modules are part of the mainboard BIOS and cannot been updated from within the Operating System like a driver or individually been flashed. Nevertheless it is possible to update the OROM module of the BIOS by using a BIOS modding tool like the AMI Aptio MMTool. If you want to know more about these things, you ay look here: http://www.win-raid.com/t18f16-Guide-AMI-UEFI-BIOS-Modding.html BIOS Modding Guides and Problems » Guide: AMI UEFI BIOS Modding

Zorlac schrieb:

Also, I am guessing the AHCI driver is the same across both the RSTe and RST packages? So which ever package has the latest build date, we should then extract the AHCI driver from it since it will probably be the newest version?

The newest Intel AHCI driver is v12.8.0.1016. It is not needed to extract it from the complete RST Package, because Intel is offering these drivers separatele as "F6 Drivers". You can find them here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=23060&keyword=Intel+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel+RST)&lang=eng Download Center

Don't be irritated by the text "RAID Driver". The Intel RST drivers v12.8.0.1016 to support AHCI as well, and they do not support RAID for X79 chipsets.

0 Kudos
MJohn29
New Contributor I

Thanks again friend! Maybe you can answer my other thread too about the Intel ME drivers...

0 Kudos
MGryg
Beginner

The latest (27/01/2015) drivers for X79 platform:

Intel(R) C600+/C220+ series chipset SATA AHCI Controller

You can use RAID driver for AHCI, but AHCI drivers do not support RAID.

If you can't install Intel RST driver v13.1.0.1058 please manually update driver in Device Manager.

Intel RSRe v4.1.0.1046 have been secretly pulled by Intel from their Download Center (more https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/SATA-Ports-bei-Haswell-E-Systemen-nur-eingeschraenkt-nutzbar-2485969.html%3Fwt_mc%3Dnl.ho.2014-12-11&edit-text=&act=url here).

The previous version of https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&FamilyId=42&ProductID=3449&ProdId=3449 Intel RSTe v3.6.0.1093 driver doesn't support TRIM!

0 Kudos