Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Intel Rapid Storage - Downgrade

Dunanshi
Beginner

Hi,

I have installed Intel RST 17.9.1.1009 by mistake and I want to install Intel RST 16.8.3.1003
But I obtain the message "A newer version of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver has been detected. You cannot overwrite the currently installed version with an older version"

Is there a way to safely uninstall version 17.9.1.1009 and install 16.8.3.1003 ?

Best regards

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Dunanshi, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your inquiry, what we can try is to uninstall the Intel® RST application and then installing it from scratch. 

Uninstalling the current Intel® RST driver:

Press Windows + X keys.

Select Device Manager.

Find and expand the Disk drives catalog.

Right-click on Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and choose "Uninstall Device"

If you receive an error when trying to uninstall, check that all the Intel® RST services are stopped before trying again. The IAStorUI.exe, IAStorIcon.exe, IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe, iaStorA.sys, relate to the Intel® RST monitor service.

Then, try to install Intel® RST version 16.8.3.1003:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28992/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005

If the problem persists after that, please provide the SSU report:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
android927
Beginner

I'm trying to do the same thing as the OP, but i can't find anything called "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" or "Intel RST" in the device manager. The only thing that shows under the Disk Drives category is my RAID 5 volume, and trying to uninstall that doesn't seem to have any effect.

I tried changing the RST driver version in the registry hoping that doing so would allow the installation to proceed, but that didn't work either.

EDIT: I found the RST driver under the "Storage Controllers" section and uninstalled it. Now my computer won't boot at all do to an "Inaccessible Boot Device" BSOD...

0 Kudos
android927
Beginner

For those of you who made the same mistake that i did and are now stuck with an INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE error whenever you try to boot into Windows, the way to fix it is to download the RST driver files onto a flash drive and then perform a DISM driver injection from the Windows Recovery Environment.

A guide on how to do it can be found here: https://gist.github.com/TomCan/9644966

Here's the relevant part in the event that the above link stops working:

Requirements:
- Windows install / boot CD
- Chipset / Mobo / Storage drivers of the new motherboard or storage controller

Steps:
- extract all the drivers to a USB thumb drive
- boot with the Windows CD
- go to the recovery console (typically hidden somewhere under repair, or advanced tools
- find out what drive letter your windows installation is in (probably C:) and what drive letter your
USB thumb drive is in (let's assume D:)
- type in the magic command:

DISM /Image:C:\ /Add-Driver /driver:D:\ /recurse

- wait until the process completes. You should see lines indicating what driver is being injected
- reboot

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Dunanshi, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello Dunanshi, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Just in case, we always recommend to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the computer to install the Intel® RST version tested and validated by them, that will be the next thing to do.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos