Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Intel Rapid Storage Technology preventing Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10

Trazik
Beginner
So I tried to upgrade from Windows 7 64-bit to Windows 10 64-bit (finally). I got an error (0x8007001F-0x20006) which indicates a driver problem with Intel Rapid Storage Technology. I have this Intel software on my computer, driver version 12.8.0.1016. According to the Intel download page, the latest version I can get is 12.9.0.1001 (from 2014) unless I have overlooked something.

Windows Update (for Windows 7) on my PC seems to be corrupted and not working properly, so I have limited-to-no capability to download "fixes" via Windows Update (for Windows 7).

According to the Windows 10 online help, I need version 15.something for the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver, or a Windows update that (see paragraph 2) I cannot download.

Please help/advise. What do I need to do? Does uninstalling fix the problem? Does it create other problems?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Trazik 

Why you have Intel RST installed? Unless you have  RAID array, you may uninstall this Intel RST and its driver and then upgrade your system to Windows 10.  Like always, before major update, I recommend to create drive backup.

In Windows 10 if you don't have RAID array or Optane Memory, the Intel RST is not needed.

In answer to your question - Intel RST Version: 15.9.8.1050 is the latest version that can be installed on Windows 7.

Leon

Trazik
Beginner

I have an SSD (for Windows and the major software/games I use) and a HDD (because the SSD at the time I bought the computer was not so large). I presume I need RST to manage both. It was installed by the person who built the computer for me). If I do not need the software at all, I presume this is a happy solution. But the thought of uninstalling it, then upgrading windows kind of makes me feel a bit nervous.

Do I need the updated RST driver in order to upgrade Windows 7 to 10?

Happy for any and all advice.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

I have computers with configuration similar to your (i.e. SSD with Windows and programs and additional HDD for data). I've no Intel RST installed and the SATA mode in BIOS is set AHCI (rather than RAID or Intel RST).

"But the thought of uninstalling it, then upgrading windows kind of makes me feel a bit nervous." So, create a backup of your drives in current configuration.

Leon

Trazik
Beginner

So I download version 15.9.8.1050 and tried to install it. It immediately stopped and gave an error: "this platform is not supported". I guess I will have to try uninstalling RST to see if that works. Will update later since drive backups are probably needed first.

To be clear, I downloaded the SetupRST.exe file and none of the other files listed, because they did not seem (from reading the page) to be useful/needed. I am surprised this is so complicated. Am I wrong?

Also, during a through review of my BIOS, I could not find any reference to SATA Mode, either RAID or AHCI. Does this mean RST can be safely uninstalled from my system?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Well, I haven't any information about your system and the BIOS either. Any way you can uninstall the RST, since you are not have RAID array and/or Optane Memory. Look for the AHCI or RAID mode under other labels - like Advanced>Devices Storage or Advanced>Configuration.

"this platform is not supported". You can read on the download page that only the following platform are supported:

• Intel® 200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller

• 7th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI/RAID Controller

• Intel® 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
  • 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI/RAID Controller

Leon

Trazik
Beginner

So I did the backups, uninstalled RST and tries the Windows 10 upgrade again. I got the exact same error. Even after uninstalling, it seems RST is getting in the way. For info, this happens at about 15% of the progress of the Windows installation.

I have tried to attach a copy of the error message. It is in German. It basically says the installation was not successful and it mentions a problem with REPLICATE_OC in the SAFE_OS phase of the update. These terms mean nothing to me, I am afraid.

Is this a known problem, that RST uninstallation does not seem to remove the software completely? For clarity, I re´started the PC after the RST uninstallation.

Further updates: I tried to restore the "old" version of RST from backups and it did not work. So I went to version 14.8.16.1063 and that worked. So I have RST again. I will try to install Windows 10 again and see what happens.

Also, I found an interesting page on how to uninstall RST (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/uninstalling-the-intelr-rapid-storage-technology/e3c4b6d6-56ba-4ac5-be50-89843c9d9b22) but it did not work for me. It seems that somehow Device Manager (step 3) is not working.

Error message attached.

FURTHER UPDATE: No joy on the fixes/installs so far. Same error.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Trazik 

1. Those are questions for Microsoft Forum, rather than to Intel. I don't know how are you upgrading Windows? I suggest to do this using Microsoft Media Creation Tool.  Download this tool to your PC and run it as Administrator.  Select the "Upgrade" option.

2. Browsing in Internet, I've founded article:  How to Fix Windows Update Error 0x8007001f – 0x20006 in Windows 10

Hope this will help you

Leon

ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

Seems like a lot of people are asking Intel questions that they should be asking Microsoft instead!

Trazik
Beginner

So I created my USB and tried to install Windows 10 again. It failed with exactly the same error as before.

I have also uninstalled RST again and tried the update. It failed again for exactly the same error.

I have posted on Microsoft forums, but they have no answers for me, except that I need to find a way to remove RST from my computer. NOTHING so far has worked.

Hi @LeonWaksman the link you provided appears to not be very safe, since Malwarebytes blocked it. Are you sure about it? Malwarebytes claims malware activity on that site.

Hi @ClariceStarling The root problem seems to be RST and how to remove it from my PC. And so I will continue to ask for advice both here and on Microsoft forums.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Trazik 

1. "Malwarebytes blocked it....." So, I've created a pdf document from this site, since your malware software is warring about cookies. 

2. What about trying clean Windows 10 installation?

Leon

ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

"Malwarebytes claims malware activity on that site"

LOL ... Malwarebytes sees malware pretty much everywhere!  

0 Kudos