Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Is the RSTe file for use with the VROC HD Key? Do I need the HD Key for a x4 M.2 7600p series RAID 10?

JCrum3
Beginner

Short Answer: Yes, the RSTe file was for the key.

And Yes, the x299 Rampage VI motherboard with VROC key abilities require the key for VROC RAID 1, RAID 5, & RAID 10.

NOTE: Intel changed the the RSTe name to VROC.

And No you won't find anything in the Intel download file descriptions for the VROC key because Intel is not up to date for any recent hardware technology releases for x299 boards or the VROC HD Key.

NOTE: Intel Support and Download File Descriptions for the Rampage VI x299 MoBo and VROC Key RAID's don't exist.

Intel VROC Download Files are:

(A) mostly for and about Intel Server Boards and technology.

(B) Are used for RAID Storage Server applications. Not intended for Home Consumer Use.

(C) According to the Intel PDF FAQ, Intel will no longer sell the HD key for x299 boards.

This is reflected by the Intel Online Warranty & Product Support Services.

You will not find any selection listed for the VROC Hardware Key.

You also won't find any download file results regardless of name, model# or Serial#

You may find your HD key Serial # won't be recognized or validated by Intel Online Warranty & Product ID Support Services.

As far as I could find, INTEL no longer supports the VROC HW keys for the x299 boards.

UPDATE: I continue to explore if Intel will support the existing x299 boards with the VROC HW key module for those RAID configuration the board and key were designed for.

At present, I have not received any support help for my VROC key Serial# Support Service issue.

Here is what I found from Intel:

Follow the ASUS guide and if you were able to install Windows 10* on the RAID 10 you are good to go.

If you are not able to see the RAID array during the Windows 10* installation process, you can use the driver below:

Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) and Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise (Intel® RSTe) Driver for Windows*

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29246/Intel-Virtual-RAID-on-CPU-Intel-VROC-and-Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Enterprise-Intel-RSTe-Driver-for-Windows-

It doesn't say it supports Windows 10* but support agent said it does.

Just know this is a Win8 64bit file. I'm still looking for a more current version for my Win10 64bit System.

Once you downloaded the file, extract it and follow this path to find the driver to be used: SW_Packages> F6-drivers> VROC_6.2.0.1239_F6-drivers> iaVROC.free.win8.64bit.6.2.0.1234> iaVROC.sys

Those are the names of the folders you have to open, notice you have to use a separate USB flash drive to copy the iaVROC.sys file, during the Windows 10* installation, you click on load drivers, navigate to this file and load it.

End Short Answer: Here 

ORIGINAL POST STARTS HERE:

Be aware that if your system did see the RAID 10 array during the installation, everything is ok, you do not need to install Intel(R) VROC Software. (Only if the RAID 10 is visible in the Windows 10 Installation)

Finally, the guide you have to follow is the one we provided at the beginning of this case, the file manual from ASUS Motherboard RAID Configuration Guide.

SUPPORT ON X299 Facts and Questions PDF

NOTED: In no situation should Intel RST and Intel VROC be used on the same platform at the same time. This use is non compatible with the platform and is not supported.

Okay before I found this pdf, I used the RST file, and my OS couldn't boot to BIOS afterwards. I remove the RST file and reinstalled the BIOS with my USB update R6EE.Cap file and it restored it to boot to BIOS again.

I had bought the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card V2 and x4 M.2 7600p series SSDs for a RAID 10? The card manual says to use the RSTe file. ASUS Support agent insisted we install the RST file again! Even though I pointed out the Manual said use the RSTe file. Then In the Windows Manage Devices we couldn't set the RAID drive.

Then the ASUS Agent said it was because I need the VROC HD key.

So I get the Key.

Mean while, I look for the RSTe file to download from Intel for the card, but intel doesn't list my i9-10920X CPU or x299 Rampage Encore board as supported RSTe components. The Intel RSTe component support list only went up to i9-999x series CPUs. and I didn't see anything about x299 boards. So, how are we to know? Where can we find out?

Then I read the PDF and it says Q11: How can I try Intel VROC?

A11: If you do not currently use Intel® VROC on your X299 HEDT platform, it is not recommended to start using it now. Please instead try Intel® RST

So, I don't need the VROC Key for the x4 M.2 7600 SSDs on the Hyper M.2 X16 card. I use RST? Only for RAID 0 The ASUS Rampage VI x299 board requires the Key for RAID 1, 5 & 10 setups.

ASUS Support agent set up the RAID, skipping the Ctrl C+i into the Intel Rapid Storage Utility screen steps, and then has me load the RST file.

Then in Disk Management I can only set the RAID volume to a New Simple Volume. None of the New Spanned Volume, New Striped Volume, New Mirrored Volume or New RAID-5 Volume, selections are highlighted to select from and set up the RAID. The ASUS Agent tells me I need the VROC Key for those to work.

ASUS says VROC HD Key doesn't work with RST. And RST can't do RAID 1, 5 or 10.

That is why I'm asking, does the RSTe file work with the VROC HD Key?

Or was all this because the Agent skipped the Intel Rapid Utility steps in the RAID 10 Setup sequence, according to the Online RAID setup steps listed in what we were doing.?

NOTED: Yes JoshB. I do have an open Support ticket for help.

and supported provided this link: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/ssd-software/VROC_Support_on_X299_FAQ.pdf  

and not much more. The link information is NOT HELPFUL to anyone intent on using the VROC HD key for a RAID Setup.

It actually confused the issue more than helped.

It required 4 case tickets of support to get the Short Answer information I posted.

1. Intel discourages use of the HD Key Required by the ASUS Motherboard for VROC RAIDs, insisting we use the RST platform. Sends useless PDF file link.
  2. Because the Rampage VI MoBo required the VROC key and ASUS support sent me the Amazon link where to purchase the key and the key was titled as ASUS VROC Key on Amazon. I'd mistakenly assumed it was an ASUS product. IT IS NOT!
  3. Intel didn't know or acknowledge the VROC Key as a Intel Product, insisting ASUS Support provide driver/ app. file for the Key.
  4. Intel acknowledged VROC HD key license was for server applications, not RAID on CPU drive enhancement use.
  5. Intel eventually provided the driver/ app file for the VROC HD key, Posted for Short Answer.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
JosafathB_Intel

Hello JCrum3,

Thank you for your reply.

We noticed that you have an open case with our advanced technical support department that is related to the same issue. We will continue to provide you with support in that case.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

OMG, what a mess! Let's go through it issue by issue...

1. If you use Intel Rapid Storage Technology, you use whatever package is supported in the BIOS for your motherboard. That is, if the BIOS has Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST), then you use the RST package, but if the BIOS has Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise (RSTe), then you use the RSTe package.
  2. If you use Intel Rapid Storage Technology and you want to use RAID, you need to set the SATA Mode in the BIOS to "RAID" -- and you need to do this BEFORE installing Windows! If you install Windows with it set to AHCI and you then change the mode to RAID, you will not be able to boot from this Windows installation. Do things in the right order!
  3. Most important: Because you are using the ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Card V2, which is specifically intended to be used with VROC, you should use VROC and not RST/RSTe. That is, you should NOT install the RST/RSTe packages at all.
  4. It is absolutely true; you do not use the VROC key with RST/RSTe, you use it with VROC.

Does that eliminate your confusion?

...S

0 Kudos
JCrum3
Beginner

n.scott.pearson, Thank You for taking the time to post a reply to help me understand how VROC & RST don't work together at all.

(1) I recall the ASUS tech agent did have me set the BIOS to the Intel Rapid Storage Technology RAID. I don't recall seeing the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise in the BIOS as a selection. I found the link in the x299 Support pdf. (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/technology-briefs/client-raid-and-dc-raid-solutions-technology-brief.pdf) says that the intel SATA legacy BIOS based RSTe was aborted for the VROC product )

(2) Again, the ASUS tech agent had us set the RAID in the BIOS SATA to RAID. However, Windows was already installed on the C drive. Most all of the RAID setups I found online started with the BIOS RAID set up and ended with a UEFI BIOS USB boot into a Windows 10 installation. Although, I had found a March 2019 YouTube Hardware RAID 10 setup for a Rampage V board the ASUS Hyper Card x4 M.2 drives with Windows 10 64bit already installed on the C: drive and kept separate from the RAID setup steps. But was for an AMD Thread Ripper setup and It was a notably an extremely complicated set of steps.

It didn't appear to be a Hardware RAID setup translatable to an Intel VROC setup.

(3) The Hyper Card manual hadn't made a very good distinction between the RSTe or VROC setup being separate from what I had found. That was part of the confusion.

(4) I still have some confusion about using the VROC HD Key, since using it activates the Intel licensing & support for the VROC, which appears to be for Servers, Graphic Editors and Media PC users. I had read the VROC on the x299 Rampage VI board was supported for free. At least, that's how I understood the x299 Support FAQ pdf information to say. Or it works for free, but won't be Officially Supported by Intel without the HD Key.

So, I took that it could mean I can set up a VROC RAID 10 to work, but just not with Intel support. And I have found that Intel doesn't support the x299 board & VROC key.

NOTE: The FAQ x299 Support pdf A-8 With Intel VROC moving into sustaining mode on x299 HEDT platforms, the intel VROC Hardware Keys will no longer be actively sold to x299 customers. Please use the RST instead which does not use a hardware key. ( I have a VROC HD Key, which was the only remaining Key in stock on Amazon) I think maybe I should keep the HD Key I have and use it just in case for future expansion and use of my PC build. Yes?

My confusion was partly with Intel no longer supporting VROC on x299 platforms (gaming boards) and partly due to the ASUS Hyper M.2 Card manual telling us to use the RSTe file to set it up for a RAID. But your reply post makes clear, as I also understood it from the intel FAQ pdf, that you do either an RST or RSTe RAID according to your BIOS options it has for those or you do a VROC RAID because they are both separate RAID setup methods.

Do I have that right now?

1st UPDATE EDIT:  The Intel RAID Guide says that VROC can only be used when the system is configured for UEFI boot mode. That the Intel VROC needs to be enabled by the HD key module with the VMD (Virtual Management Devices) enabled in the BIOS setup.

The Intel Guide I received says the RSTe drive file is for the BIOS RAID Setup part with the RSTe file for the Windows setup part when installing Window in Advanced mode. Both RSTe are for supporting the BIOS and Windows OS VROC HD Key RAID setup. And the the VROC can only be used or activated with the HD Key.

2nd UPDATE EDIT: How are Intel® VROC and Intel® RSTe related? Is Intel® RSTe still a product?

Intel® VROC and Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise (Intel® RSTe) were previously related products in the same product family. The SATA RAID portion of the product family was called Intel® RSTe and the NVMe RAID portion was called Intel® VROC. However, starting in Q1 2019, with the launch of Intel® VROC 6.0, the Intel® RSTe name was removed, and all RAID solutions in this product family were branded as Intel® VROC.

I had thought that the ASUS tech agent was guiding me through a VROC HD key RAID 10 as I had asked him to do, but I now see he had me do a RST RAID setup that failed to work.

While I still have some confusion over why the Disk Manager couldn't allow me access to any of the Volumes (New Spanned Volume, New Striped Volume, New Mirrored Volume or New RAID-5 Volume) after setting up the RST RAID. But since I am going to do a VROC HD key RAID setup, it doesn't matter now.

Now I have to figure out how to UNDO everything the ASUS Tech had me do. Reformat my C: drive Windows 10 installation start again in the BIOS for a VROC RAID setup.

Technically, because Intel Support sent me the link to the Intel-VROC- Quick-Configuration-Guide and the guide had all the information I have posted here to make the RST and RSTe files more clear. I think this post thread has provided enough information to have adequately answer the questions. The link below provides step details.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/Intel-VROC-Quick-Configuration-Guide.pdf  

If you want to know more about RSTe (VROC) and the VROC HD Key module, then click on the link to the guide I have posted for you to see for yourself. Interestingly though is that Intel Downloads still lists the RSTe files, even though they were supposed to have been renamed to VROC.

MOST INFORMATION I FIND IS SOMEWHAT OUTDATED. I HAVE FOUND LITTLE TO NONE THAT'S CURRENT TO DATE FOR ASUS X299 BOARDS OR EVEN INTEL i9-10900 SERIES CPUS.

0 Kudos
JCrum3
Beginner

n.scott.pearson (Customer) WITH REGARDS TO YOUR POST. Actually I'm still confused!

3. Most important: Because you are using the ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Card V2, which is specifically intended to be used with VROC, you should use VROC and not RST/RSTe. That is, you should NOT install the RST/RSTe packages at all.

After receiving from Intel Support the following Quick RAID configuration Guide: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/Intel-VROC-Quick-Configuration-Guide.pdf

It make clear the RSTe file download is the driver for the VROC HD Key module for a Bootable UEFI BIOS RAID 1, RAID 5 or RAID 10 array setup and is loaded into the BIOS.

And you also need the RSTe file version for the Windows 10 or other OS versions. But the RSTe file for the Window OS installation gets installed during the window installation using the Advanced setup to complete the VROC HD Key RAID setup sequence.

The Hyper M.2 X16 Card does work with VROC and you can use the Option VROC HD Key Module RAID setup with it using the RSTe file for setting it up. And as far as I understood how it works, the Hyper M.2 Card can also be used with the RST software RAID 0 Setups. But it can't do RST RAID setup for those configurations reserved under the ASUS RAID Configuration Manuals Specific requirements to those RAID 1, Raid 5 and RAID 10 requiring the HD Key Module.

4. It is absolutely true; you do not use the VROC key with RST/RSTe, you use it with VROC.

Yes, the RST file platform is a software based RAID solution for all other compatible OS RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 setups for a Non-BIOS bootable RAID's. And yes, RST platform is not compatible with the VROC HD Key.

I found nothing in the Intel or Asus RAID Guides about using VROC for the VROC HD Key as though there was a VROC platform for the key.

What VROC file are you referencing to be used with the VROC HD Key module? Please provide us with a source link for your statement in 4. of your post, so we can better understand what you mean.

ALL I have been able to find for the VROC HD Key for any RAID configuration setup is to use the RSTe files in setting it up.

I reposted here because I didn't want anyone else coming away with what you posted because I believe what you posted is somewhat in error.

0 Kudos
JCrum3
Beginner

HERE is the reason for the VROC_HD_KEY need that ASUS Support understood, but failed to know how to do, and so did the RST RAID setup that left the Hyper Card x4 M.2 SSD ONLY AS A STORAGE DRIVE. Intel support replies are insistent upon doing a RST RAID and had not responded to my inquiry for the VROC KEY setup and license information or link.

I updated my Intel ticket with the following in an attempt to get the VROC Key setup and use information or link from them.

In my Rampage VI x299 MoBo Manual under the RAID Configuration Guide 1-9

1.1.4     Intel Virtual Raid on CPU in UEFI BIOS [ This was using the EZ Wizard setup?]

Some motherboards support Intel Virtual Raid on CPU with RAID 0, RAID 5 and RAID 10 solution. RAID 0 can be created without a KEY module, while RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10 requires a KEY module. 

•            The KEY module is purchased separately.

•            The Hyper M2. Card is purchased separately.

•            Due to CPU behavior, CPU RAID functions with Intel RSTe only support Intel Core X-series Processors (6-core or above) and Intel SSD Modules.

•            Refer to section internal connectors in your motherboard’s user manual for the location of the VROC_HD_KEY connector.

The third bullet point was why I was confused about the VROC and RSTe platforms. It made it seem as if the RSTe was the driver we load in the advanced windows setup for the VROC_HD_KEY RAID setup.

{EDIT NOTE: The Optional VROC HD Key Module uses the RSTe driver file for the BIOS and another RSTe file for the Windows side of the RAID setup}

When I went online to intel for the download of the RSTe driver, Intel didn’t list any current x299 Rampage VI or i9-10900 series CPUs that the RSTe or RST supported. ANOTHER REASON WHY I CREATED THIS SUPPORT TICKET.

In conclusion: The Intel RST platform, according to my ASUS Manual, doesn’t support the VROC RAID 5 or 10 configurations without a VROC HD Key I want to do.

Can you (intel support agent) provide me with a Support Tutorial or link of instructions on how to install, use and setup my RAID 10 with the VROC_HD_KEY.

Note:

• Setup PCIE sections in BIOS setting before using RAID on CPU function.

See the details in the user manual of each motherboard model.

• Only Intel SSDs can activate Intel VROC on Intel platforms.

• In X299 series, use IRSTe 5.0 or a later version to activate VROC function.

Note:

• Update to the latest BIOS and Setup PCIE sections in BIOS before using RAID on CPU function.

• Maximum number of M.2 SSD support will vary, depending on different CPUs.

For beginners like myself, it's easy to misunderstand how the RST and RSTe can be confused. Using VROC can be done by either platform. RST is the software based RAID setup version, While the RSTe files both support the BIOS and OS for setting up VROC_HD_KEY RAID.

It made it seem to me that the RST was the support driver for the VROC KEY RAID Setup. I now know that the RSTe is the one for it.

I understand I do need the VROC HD Key for a CPU RAID 10 array setup for my x299 ROG Rampage Extreme Encore motherboard, if I don't want a BIOS bootable array.

I'm now searching for where I can get the information instructions for setting one up the VROC HD KEY I have purchased.

I got it from Intel Support:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/Intel-VROC-Quick-Configuration-Guide.pdf INTEL VROC (VMD NVMe RAID)

Quick Configuration Guide Rev 1.1 December 2019

Note: There are 3 types of HD Key modules for different RAID setups.

ASUS VROC Hardware Key VROCISSDMOD is the one I purchased and support the most RAID configurations.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am saying that the standard RST/RSTe packages are not used for VROC. I am also saying that the standard RSTe package can only be used if the RSTe (i.e. Enterprise) version of the firmware (and not the RST version) is provided in the board's firmware (BIOS) package.

...S

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello JCrum3,

Thank you for your reply.

We noticed that you have an open case with our advanced technical support department that is related to the same issue. We will continue to provide you with support in that case.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JCrum3
Beginner

n.scott.pearson (Customer) SCOTT, I found that the RSTe name was in fact replaced by Intel with the VROC name. It's found in the link below.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024550/memory-and-storage.html

2nd UPDATE EDIT: How are Intel® VROC and Intel® RSTe related? Is Intel® RSTe still a product?

Intel® VROC and Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise (Intel® RSTe) were previously related products in the same product family. The SATA RAID portion of the product family was called Intel® RSTe and the NVMe RAID portion was called Intel® VROC. However, starting in Q1 2019, with the launch of Intel® VROC 6.0, the Intel® RSTe name was removed, and all RAID solutions in this product family were branded as Intel® VROC.

What makes everything more difficult and confusing, is that almost all online information for products is outdated often by a year or more.

It seems to take about a year or more on average for the newest Hardware to get caught up with for technical support and information.

0 Kudos