Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Is there a way to manually build/restore a RAID 1 drive without losing the data?

SMcAr1
Beginner

Workstation had RAID 1 C: drive and RAID 5 D:drive

Drives were SSD

One of the C: drives failed and RAID was marked degraded

Replaced the C: drive with equal (but newer) SSD drive, same size

Boot up, when into CTRL - i and all drive listed as Non-RAID

Single C: drive will boot into Window 7

RSTe did not automatically rebuild the RAID 1

Is there a way to do this without losing the data?

Can I recover the RAID 5 through a utility

Prior to doing this I had created an image of both C and D drives

Thanks in advance for any help......

0 Kudos
13 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello SMcAr1, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. We have an article related to issues with an existing RAID. Please refer to the link below: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005892/technologies.html If this does not help, please provide me with an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Make sure to attach the created report to this thread. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SMcAr1
Beginner

David

Thank you for replying back

Prior to sending this support request, I spent extensive amount of time looking on line and reading through various support articles. This situation caught me by surprise as I was expecting that once I replace the fault drive, the RAID would automatically rebuild and in fact the opposite happen the two volumes went to non-raid drives. I looked at article and i did not find it informative as the informat is general.. I did find the Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel RSTe) for Microsoft Windows Operating System Software User Guide Rev 1.5 March 2013. In the manual, section 2.5.7 indicates there is a feature that can Manually Invoked ReBuild but this requires software and I was not able to identify where to download the correct version

I should point out few more pieces of information

• On my workstation, I could not find installed software to access RSTe GUI. I'm only able to access through Ctrl-i Legacy ROM.
  • I should also inform you that when I re-install the new SSD, UEFI bios change all the settings to AHCI and would not boot up. I modified to RAID RSTe and then was able boot the C: drive to Windows

I will download the tool and generate a report for tomorrow

Thanks you

Steve

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello SMcAr1, Thank you for your reply. We will be looking forward to the SSU logs to further assist you. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SMcAr1
Beginner
Thanks Josh, I will upload this shortly today. Steven McArdle | President | 4DM Inc. 920 Yonge Street Suite 803 | Toronto, Ontario | M4W 3C7 Phone: 416-410-7569 Ext. 25 | Cell: 416-805-8488 <http://www.4dm-inc.com/> www.4dm-inc.com Providing solutions through mapping technology...
0 Kudos
SMcAr1
Beginner

Here's the file on the system.

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello SMcAr1, Thank you for your response. Did the RAID 1 you are trying to rebuild include the operating system? If so, then you will need to rebuild or create the RAID using the Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology BIOS extension, you can access this by pressing "Ctrl + I" during the post. It would be possible that the manufacturer of the motherboard could have changed the combination of keys to enter the BIOS Rapid Storage Technology, if you are unable to access it, please check with the motherboard manufacturer. Once there, you should be able to rebuild the RAID if applicable, if they are not in a RAID and appear as non-RAID then you can build a new RAID array from there as well. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SMcAr1
Beginner
Hi David In previous write, I explain the situation. The drives are registered as non-raid drives. I turn off the compute, took the old drive out, turn on the computer and they were all changed to non-RAID drives. The original RAID 1 drive contains the Window 7 operating system. And boots up as non-RAID drive. If I’m understand the documents I’ve been reading, and do what you say I will lose all the data on non-raid drive. Using Ctrl – I, there are only 4 options in RSTe ROM interfaces. 1 Create RAID Volume, 2. Delete RAID Volume 3. Reset Disks to Non-Raid and 4 Exists. There is no rebuild the RAID. I recognize I could do this from scratch but It will wipe all information. Is there a software tool for Window7 that will rebuild the RAID 1.. Essential mirror RAID from the existing drive to the new drive or have I lost all the RAID information? Steve I have access to BIO both RSTe and Computer Steven McArdle | President | 4DM Inc. 920 Yonge Street Suite 803 | Toronto, Ontario | M4W 3C7 Phone: 416-410-7569 Ext. 25 | Cell: 416-805-8488 <http://www.4dm-inc.com/> www.4dm-inc.com Providing solutions through mapping technology...
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello SMcAr1, Thank you for your response. If you create the RAID using the Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology GUI there should not be any problem with data loss. I would recommend to boot up into Windows* and from there open Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology and re-create the RAID 1 using the "manage" option. Remember to always backup your important data to avoid any possible data loss. Let me know if you are able to do so. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SMcAr1
Beginner
David I purchased this from a vendor who created the RAID. I assume they used the BIO version As a previously email there appears to be no RSTe GUI for Windows installed. Can you please direct me to the correct version for Windows 7 – 64 bit that need to install. Second. once installed, 4 out 5 drives were RAID drive. 2 as one volume and the other 3 as another volume Currently the BIOS see them as non-RAID drives. My question to you. Is there information on the drive that RSTe GUI will recognize and rebuild without deleting the data? Steve Steven McArdle | President | 4DM Inc. 920 Yonge Street Suite 803 | Toronto, Ontario | M4W 3C7 Phone: 416-410-7569 Ext. 25 | Cell: 416-805-8488 <http://www.4dm-inc.com/> www.4dm-inc.com Providing solutions through mapping technology...
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello SMcAr1, Thank you for your response. To answer your questions: 1 - In order to find the best Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology version for you I will need the motherboard manufacturer, this is necessary because, if the system supports Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology, the motherboard manufacturer provides the best version for that specific motherboard. 2 - Normally if a RAID is rebuilt it does not really delete data; however, to avoid issues we always recommend that before doing any RAID configuration or change backup your data. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SMcAr1
Beginner
David This was the information extracted from the Intel utility. Let me know if it is enough. Type:"Synchronous" - "Motherboard" Availability:"Running or Full Power" BIOS:"BIOS Date: 12/24/13 15:29:13 Ver: 46.08, ALASKA - 1072009" Caption:"Motherboard" Chipset:"Not Available" Date:"12/23/2013 07:00 PM" Install Date:"Not Available" Last Error Code:"Not Available" Last Error Code Description:"Not Available" Manufacturer:"ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC." Model:"Not Available" Part Number:"Not Available" PNP Device ID:"ACPI\PNP0C01\1" Power Management Capabilities:"Not Available" Power Management Supported:"Not Available" Product:"P9X79" Serial Number:"140425267000613" Status:"OK" Version:"Rev 1.xx" Steven McArdle | President | 4DM Inc. 920 Yonge Street Suite 803 | Toronto, Ontario | M4W 3C7 Phone: 416-410-7569 Ext. 25 | Cell: 416-805-8488 <http://www.4dm-inc.com/> www.4dm-inc.com Providing solutions through mapping technology...
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello SMcAr1, Thank you for your response. The best version for your motherboard, chipset and O.S combination is in the link below: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P9X79/HelpDesk_Download/ *Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there.* Select Windows 7 64-bit in the drop-down menu and under "SATA" you can find the best version for that combination of hardware/O.S. I hope this helps. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello SMcAr1, Were you able to check my post? Was the information helpful? Let me know if you need more assistance. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos