Data stripe size: 64 KB

Write-back cache: Disabled

Initialized: Yes

Parity errors: 0

Blocks with media errors: 0

Physical sector size: 4096 Bytes

Logical sector size: 512 Bytes

Hardware Information

Controller name: Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller

Type: SATA

Mode: RAID

Number of SATA ports: 5

Number of volumes: 1

Volume: chaostheory

Number of spares: 0

Number of available disks: 3

Rebuild on Hot Plug: Disabled

Manufacturer: 32902

Model number: 10274

Product revision: 4

Direct attached disk: 02522133500400001052

Direct attached disk: WD-WMC1T0058497

Direct attached disk: WD-WMC1T0100347

Direct attached disk: WD-WMC1T0118409

Direct attached disk: WD-WMC1T0069805

Direct attached disk: D-WMC1T0058497:0

Direct attached disk: D-WMC1T0069805:0

Disk on Controller 0, Port 0

Type: SATA SSD

Location type: Internal

Usage: Available

Size: 119 GB

System disk: No

Disk data cache: Enabled

Command queuing: NCQ

SATA transfer rate: 6 Gb/s

Model: ADATA SP900

Serial number: 02522133500400001052

SCSI device ID: 0

Firmware: 5.0.2a

Physical sector size: 512 Bytes

Disk on Controller 0, Port 2

Type: SATA disk

Size: 2,795 GB

SATA transfer rate: 3 Gb/s

Model: WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0

Serial number: WD-WMC1T0058497

SCSI device ID: 2

Firmware: 80.00A80

Disk on Controller 0, Port 3

Usage: Array disk

Serial number: WD-WMC1T0100347

SCSI device ID: 3

Disk on Controller 0, Port 4

Serial number: WD-WMC1T0118409

SCSI device ID: 4

Disk on Controller 0, Port 5

Serial number: WD-WMC1T0069805

SCSI device ID: 5

Disk on Controller 255, Port Unknown

Type: Unknown disk

Location type: Unknown

Size: 0 GB

Command queuing: None

SATA transfer rate: Unknown Gb/s

Model:

Serial number: D-WMC1T0058497:0

SCSI device ID: 255

Firmware:

Physical sector size: 0 Bytes

Logical sector size: 0 Bytes

Disk on Controller 255, Port Unknown

Type: Unknown disk

Location type: Unknown

Size: 0 GB

Command queuing: None

SATA transfer rate: Unknown Gb/s

Model:

Serial number: D-WMC1T0069805:0

SCSI device ID: 255

Firmware:

Physical sector size: 0 Bytes

Logical sector size: 0 Bytes

18 Replies
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Hello,

As per that reports there are actually two missing drives and the status of the RAID volume is failed. Probably the system failed to initialize or recognize the hard drives during post and this caused the whole volume to fail.

In this case, the RAID cannot be rebuilt at this point and there are no options to recover from this state.

0 Kudos
PTayl
Beginner

Hello,

I have used as home & accounting business user IRST in RAID1 for ... a long time.

I now try to use W7SP1 x64 on Asus board P7P55D with Intel ROM 10.5.0.1034 & IRST 11.7.0.1013

On it I have volume c: (OS only) in Raid1, d: (data) in Raid1. On Adaptec 6405e, I have e: (data2) in Raid1 etc. (an array contains only 1 volume).

I chose to restore full drive c: (not the partitions) using ATI 2013 (for OS/appli reasons, while hardware fine)

reboot

1) boot bcd error, I use Windows recovery disk to repair, to no avail. Not the 1st time with Acronis restore (the hidden partition is sometimes badly restored and when not hidden, there can be problems also with bcd) but the previous times, Windows recovery repaired it fast. This time not, as Windows couldn' find the OS partition, although visible & complete in command mode. No problem, I disconnected the Volume c: (2 disks). Replace them with a functionnal backup OS c: drive at hand.

reboot.

2) my mistake! At reboot in bios, I didn't notice Asus board switched itself Storage Config parameter from RAID to IDE (for the new sata disk connected & the other drives...). I should have known better & checked, yes.

3) reboot, notice the issue and back to correct bios from IDE to RAID & boot, but too late.

4) in IRST, the ex-volume 2 (data) shows as 2 disks "in Raid" (from memory) so no longer in a single volume, one of the 2 hard drives accessible by the OS, the second greyed with exclamation mark (not accessible at all) in diskmgmt.msc

5) go back in bios with ctrl-I and see 2 non-raid Disks. Yes, I know, Intel cannot rebuild a volume in such circumstances (just wish it could be more adequately documented though...).

NB: I have plenty of external BUs, so no real data loss risk but a lot of user time lost, which is the issue.

My remarks & suggestions:

1) in the written doc supplied by Intel, nothing indicates how the user must get himself out of this situation the fastest & securest way (I mean, Raid 1 broken volume), so one must be erased and rebuilt based on master, but how (I have done it but not my daily cup of tea, so simple reassuring guidance would be appreciated))

2) on line (http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-032714.htm Intel� Rapid Storage Technology (Intel� RST) — Troubleshooting RAID volume issues), Intel does not describe this case of broken volume (for instance following an OS restore that turns sour), which happened to me alone 3 times.

3) unless mistaken, I could not find thougthful guidance anywhere else when such problems occurs (eg. delivered with the IRST soft pack). All is supposed to work flawlessly for ever?

The forums on internet mention many occurrences of Intel broken volumes for whatever reason, with finger pointing sometimes on top. Surely these days, ROMs & soft are safer than 5 yers ago. But in the end, what clear protocol Intel recommends to follow to get user out of mess in clear & safe way. It is the key thing that matters to most users. Intel Technologists show impressive engineering capability and of course Intel support cannot be expected to be behind every Customer but surely, when releasing such technology, the minimum expected from Intel by user community is top notch user doc & guidance for self help when the poor guy that meet this kind of incident every 2-3 years or so gets into trouble. Part of it exist on-line on Intel wsite but I find it a bit quickly put together & inadequate for me.

4) I haven't experienced a problem yet with the Raid1 volumes on the Adaptec 6405e not embarked in the motherboard (thus not easily recognised in recovery operations either ...). Anyway, for the naive user, the undesired & damaging interactions (ie. switching automatically Raid to IDE in storage bios configuration when new sata drive added) between Asus board (an old P7P55D), the Bios, the Intel ROM & the IRST soft may be worth a second visit between parties concerned. This auto switching to lower status should never happen. Could Intel responsible take a driving seat here if not done yet as such problem in the chain affects everyone?

5) Why can't the Intel soft (when OS launched & bios enabled) scan & rebuild the volume in such an apparently simple instance (just a suggestion, it would be nice)?

6) in the ROM menu, there is an open possibility to create a RAID1 volume. In the doc http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/irst_user_guide.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/irst_user_guide.pdf it is indicated to do this (non raid 0 volumes) when OS up via the IRST software. But then, the consequences of creating a Raid1 through the ROM route should be better clarified. They are no prewarning in ROM menu, unless mistaken (I didn't try for good as scary). This doc could be improved for this important user aspect (also, I suggest not to start by Raid 0 but by Raid 1 or 5 or 10, then to tackle speed).

NB: Just for anecdote, I received 10 years ago a 2 drives Linux based SAN from Western Digital (called World-marvel something) terribly slow although configured by default in Raid 0! I didn't change the config immediately to Raid1 & forgot. But I learned from it. One of the WD drive failed within 6 months while having to retrieve data. All data lost. Then, retrieving from my second external BU failed just after (7 years old single drive accuator hit plate). Murphy's law. From that point on "belt & braces"! Yes, disk fail for sure but we just don't know when.

I don't count on any help here.

In conclusion, the user shouldn't have to count on forums to find acurate answers but on Intel site.

Just thanks for providing this great IRST and also for any future improvement you can contribute to in terms of servicing it.

Brussels

0 Kudos
SGart
Beginner

I add to this thread because I suspect this is the same issue.

Thinking there may be an issue with 11.6.0.1030 given that an Asus P6X58D Premium motherboard has an

Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) 6 PORT SATA I/O Controller, this is a little hard to explain:

Prior to this magical occurrence, I upgraded from 11.2.0.1006 Shortly after upgrading I attempted to perform a system backup and the IRST software informed me that one of the disks making up the RAID 10 set was failing but allowed me to reset. After that warn/reset process repeated several times, the IRST software showed the drive was a 1.5 Gbps drive rather than a 3.0 Gpbs drive like the other (then) identical models in the RAID 10 set. The system (Windows 7 Ultimate, I7 980X) then proceeded to hang on shutdown. On replacing the drive, it came up with the spurious - and missing - 7th drive/port.

Assuming the rebuild successfully completes, I will attempt to revert to 11.2.0.1006.

Oh...and I'll test the hard drive I pulled to see if it is actually bad.

0 Kudos
SGart
Beginner

In what I consider to be a perfectly fascinating sequence of events, the rebuild completed and the spurious "missing" 7th port/drive disappeared.

A first, for me: The positive result being something that wasn't there going away. Ghosts in the machine, indeed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have a very similar issue "unknown disk on controller 255, Port unknown: Missing". I rebooted my PC and a disk now shows up as missing and non-raid member. I removed the disk and formatted and added it back to the RAID controller. First on the same port and then a different port (I have done a LOT of troubleshooting) removing the disk and formatting it was a last resort as it was not showing up. The disk shows as health and normal now. However I have no options to rebuild the array or add the disk to the array. I am now at a loss as to how to repair the RAID or remove the "missing" disk which is the exact same disk!

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Christian,

What is the status of the RAID array? (failed, degraded,normal).

Check on the Control I option ROM of the system and then see the status of the missing hard drive that has been marked as not part of the RAID, then select the option that says mark disk as non RAID and select that drive (make sure that you are not selecting any of the other drives that are part of the RAID 5).

In any case, be sure to have a back up of that RAID 5 already as another hard drive may be dropped and then the RAID 5 data will not be accessible.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi it is just degraded at present so I am backing up all the data. The missing dis shows as Non RAID in the ROM. Or shows up as Spare when I assign it as Spare. However I cannot seem to add it back into the RAID?

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Did you mark it as non RAID driver in the optiom rom already? If not do this even though the drive is not listed as part of the RAID. Then use the rebuild to this disk option in the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology application in the operating system

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

in the Matrix 8.9.1023 RAID BIOS I dont even have that option, all Ic an do is delete volume or create volume there os no way to mark drives? The drive has now failed even though 4 out of the 5 drives are normal?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

RAID DISK just wants to be initialized now if I open up disk management in Windows, so looks like it is completely screwed. Considering I had just added a new disk to protect against this, I am so frustrated that I cannot add a disk back to repair or rebuild, abolsutly no options there at all! Feel really let down by software here

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Hopefully a backup was done before this happened as you mentioned before.

As per information you provided the system was using a quite out dated version of Option ROM, which is Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager 8.9 (not even Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology).

As a matter of fact Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager 8.9 was known to have random drive failures in certain systems, so one thing you should do would be to pursue for an updated version on this option ROM through a BIOS update. You can do this after the RAID is functional again.

By now, you would please send a print screen of what you see in the Option ROM of the system

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

yep random drive failures is the issue! I have tried to update the RAID controller and can run RST in Windows but the ROM seems to be stuck at 8.9? I am running a Gigabyte X58 Motherboard with the very latest BIOS. Do I need to destroy this RAID and then re create with the Windows Intel Rapid Storage Tech?

cant get a screen print of the ROM at the moment. I have managed to get most of the data!

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

The option ROM is updated the BIOS as it is an active part of it.

If the volume is listed as failed, then the data on it cannot be recovered with Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology.

What you could try to do would be to use a software utility to recover partitions on RAID volumes and check if that helps, or restore the back up you have created.

0 Kudos
CPich3
Beginner

Hello all,

I think that I've just encounter a similar issue. My computer was stuck in suspend mode...

At the reboot, the RAID 5 array is dead...!! 2 drives are not recognised but are present in the list with a green state but "non RAID" drive status...

When I look in the RST utility, It seems that the Intel Utility is searching the drives with a bad serial number (it puts a ":0" at the end of the serial number it wants...). See the french screenshot below...

I don't know if there is a way to force RST to reallocate the drives in order to recover my RAID volume......

My RST version is 11.7.0.1013.

Thanks for your response.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

There is no way to force the drives to be recognize by the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology again as Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology does not provide recover options for failed RAID volumes

0 Kudos
CPich3
Beginner

Hi Diego,

Thanks for your response. I was going to erase all the configuration but after some web searches, I've just fixed my RAID issue !

The solution for me (could not be the solution for all) is below with the (great!) TestDisk application :

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showpost.php?p=3329132 EXTREME Overclocking Forums - View Single Post - Fixing Intel Matrix RAID 0

http://rricketts.com/intel-raid5-disaster-data-recovery-ich10r/ Intel RAID5 Disaster Data Recovery ICH10R | The Official Blog of Richard Ricketts

After a big breath, I followed all the steps. Now, very few minutes later, my RAID volume and all the data on it are back !

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks to this thread, I just recovered a failed RAID10 hard drive volume after a Windows 10 upgrade caused it to show up as FAILED. After doing lots of online searching and many hours of experimenting I found a relatively simple solution that worked.

I have an ASUS P7P55D Deluxe motherboard running Windows 7 Pro. It has a RAID10 array of 4 - 2TB Hard drives.

Microsoft has been bugging me for months to upgrade to Windows 10. Its tests showed that my system was compatible with the upgrade. I finally gave in and started the upgrade yesterday. The upgrade left me without Ethernet or WiFi and my 4TB of data was absent.

Long story short, it looks like somewhere in the process, the SATA configuration in the BIOS was changed from RAID to ACHI which then changed 2 of my hard drives in the Intel RST Option ROM from RAID to NON-RAID and in turn changed the 4TB RAID Volume to FAILED!

So I reverted my system back to Windows 7, which by itself did not fix the problem, and began searching for an answer. I found this thread where many responded that it was not possible to recover a FAILED RAID volume:

but further down I found a link to : "http://rricketts.com/intel-raid5-disaster-data-recovery-ich10r/ Intel RAID5 Disaster Data Recovery ICH10R"

which got me 90% of the way there but some of his instructions didn't work for me. My system boots from and SSD and used the RAID only for data. If your failed RAID was also your system drive you will need to have a separate boot disk with a copy of windows or Windows to go. Here are the details of what it took me to get my failed RAID drive back online. They are posted on my blog at:

http://sandberg.photography/blog/painful-raid-recovery-after-failed-windows-10-upgrade http://sandberg.photography/blog/painful-raid-recovery-after-failed-windows-10-upgrade

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for sharing details about this matter. This will be useful.

Allan.

0 Kudos