Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2077 Discussions

Modern Standby-DRIPS help needed with Intel SoC component (VEN_8086&DEV_9AB.LinkL0), HP Envy TE02

Goody1926
Beginner

This is a brand-new HP Envy TE02.  This PC is having trouble with entering the lowest power state during sleep/standby.  Digging into detail with powercfg power report it never has an issue on the software side but there one component on the hardware side that consistently gets the finger pointed at by the sleep report.  It is the VEN_8086&DEV_9AB.LinkL0.  Using device manager, I find a similar entry (actually 2 instances), assuming the leading 0 got dropped, in the storage controller area labeled Intel RST VMD Managed Controller 09AB.  No yellow bangs but it says no drivers are installed within the details. 

Many times, sleep report says that device was active the entire time so the entire HW bucket stands at 0% Low Power State time.  Other times like below it can be around 50%. 

As a side note, this PC does slowly pulse the power button LED when it is in the lowest power state.  At least I think that is what it signifies.  It seems when this device is significantly effecting the power state the LED is steady on yet monitors and HDDs are powered down or in standby.  So I am not exactly sure how this LED operates from a modern standby standpoint.

This system is up to date including everything that Intel support assistant says it needs.   BIOS is up to date.

Research has led to very few clues to this 09AB entry.  Yet the sleep report blames it for whatever reason.  I have attached a screenshot of an example of the power report.  I will also include some additional system details. 

Does anyone have any thoughts?  Thank you.

Goody1926_1-1683836034000.png

General specifications
Operating system
Windows 11 Home 64-bit Version: 22621.1702

Microprocessor
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900

System memory
48 GB

Graphic device 1
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Goody1926
Beginner

Thank you for the response.  Yes I contacted the manufacturer of my PC which is HP.  This complex problem is way out of their traditional help channels.  They ran me through a series of standard procedures which was the extent of their ability to diagnose a deep rooted problem.

And yes not only through DSA, Microsoft updates including optionals, and HP all things were updated.

However I am not positive that HP is in control of the power management of this controller.  I believe Microsoft would have the dominant control as it handles transitions to modern standby and DRIPS state.  Of course the HW must cooperate and be fully tested to comply with modern standby concerning power states it supports etc...

In the end I have just solved my own problem.  I never really thought the Intel component was purely to blame but a victim of some other process.

For me that was networking and the wake on pattern feature.  This feature when enabled would prevent the PC from HW DRIPS and in the process likely held the Intel component hostage.

Once that feature was disabled the PC would enter 98%+ HW DRIPS and the Intel SoC component was no longer a factor in the blocking.

That does not solve the underlying root cause but it's a start to further point the finger in the right direction.  I am not 100% positive the Intel component is free and clear.  But like everything else there are always many underlying factors to consider.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Goody1926  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I am sorry to hear what is happening with your PC. 

Please be aware that this device makes reference to a storage controller that might be using an Intel driver/software, however, the power management, configuration and usage are controlled by your System Manufacturer.  

Have you already contacted your System Manufacturer regarding your power management issue? 

Also, please make sure your drivers are up to date using your System Manufacturer's software, since Intel® DSA was designed for products made by Intel only, such as Intel NUCs, for example. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
Goody1926
Beginner

Thank you for the response.  Yes I contacted the manufacturer of my PC which is HP.  This complex problem is way out of their traditional help channels.  They ran me through a series of standard procedures which was the extent of their ability to diagnose a deep rooted problem.

And yes not only through DSA, Microsoft updates including optionals, and HP all things were updated.

However I am not positive that HP is in control of the power management of this controller.  I believe Microsoft would have the dominant control as it handles transitions to modern standby and DRIPS state.  Of course the HW must cooperate and be fully tested to comply with modern standby concerning power states it supports etc...

In the end I have just solved my own problem.  I never really thought the Intel component was purely to blame but a victim of some other process.

For me that was networking and the wake on pattern feature.  This feature when enabled would prevent the PC from HW DRIPS and in the process likely held the Intel component hostage.

Once that feature was disabled the PC would enter 98%+ HW DRIPS and the Intel SoC component was no longer a factor in the blocking.

That does not solve the underlying root cause but it's a start to further point the finger in the right direction.  I am not 100% positive the Intel component is free and clear.  But like everything else there are always many underlying factors to consider.

0 Kudos